PDA

View Full Version : My W202 stereo install

AUS-C36
10-01-2005, 07:52 AM
I've had the car for almost 10 years now, finally got around to get the system that I've always wanted for this car. Had the car custom installed at my local audio shop in Western Australia for the past 6 weeks and should be finished in the next week or so.

Brief Spec:

Clarion HX D2 head unit ( DRZ 9255 in the US )
Dynaudio 240GT 2 way front speakers
Kicker SX 700 4 channel digital amp
Alpine T220 amp
factory rear speakers
10" kicker Comp VR sub in 4th order band pass box

The install progress can be viewed at:

http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57374&st=0&p=569058&

audiophile
10-01-2005, 11:30 AM
very nice setup. :D
make sure you post pics when everything is finished:cool:

Abuimad
10-01-2005, 02:21 PM
looks very nice...very very nice....

Beau M
10-02-2005, 07:16 AM
I like it a lot. Your choices are very interesting, such as sub and sub box type, and tweeter placement. Looks good, and I really like that you can still get to the spare.

AUS-C36
10-02-2005, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Beau M
I like it a lot. Your choices are very interesting, such as sub and sub box type, and tweeter placement. Looks good, and I really like that you can still get to the spare.

I thought about installing a sealed sub-box inside the wheel cavity as many ppl have done in the past. But with only 1 cubic foot or less of volume to play with as well as a heavy sub box hanging some way from the rear axle line which would adversely affect the handling of the car; I've decided to get a custom box to sit on the least laden side of the car which in this case is the left hand side. I've put my car on a set of racing corner weight scales and the LH rear corner is some 30Kg lighter than the RH rear corner. With this set up I'm hoping to place an extra 8-10 Kg on this corner with respect to the RH side.

The storage space inside the spare wheel well is quite important for me as well.

Abuimad
10-02-2005, 08:01 AM
sounds like a very good setup, but i odnt understand why the placement of the sub in the spare wheel would cause bad handling.. ??

AUS-C36
10-02-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Abuimad
sounds like a very good setup, but i odnt understand why the placement of the sub in the spare wheel would cause bad handling.. ??

As much as the shift of weight balance towards the 50:50 ideal with additional weight towards the rear end of the car, it increases the polar moment of inertia at the rear. I simulated its affects by placing 12Kg of weight with bags of rice in the spare wheel well and you could easily feel is affects right away. It induced more yaw at the rear and roll oversteer under trailing throttle when cornering.

I could have removed the spare wheel (23Kg) and jack (1.5Kg) from the car all together and fill the cavity with a sub box with weight to spare but giving up the spare was not a compromise I want to have.

Abuimad
10-02-2005, 11:00 AM
so let me get this straight...if you have more weight in the trunk the car over steers...and less weight the car under steers....ok sounds reasonable enough, and yes a spare wheel is a must, i mean...i hope i dont need it netime soon but knowing its there is just good enough for me

pnsji
10-04-2005, 05:15 PM
nice! I love that head unit!
How is the sound?

AUS-C36
10-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by pnsji
nice! I love that head unit!
How is the sound?

The sound is even better than I expected so far and we have yet to finalise the fine tunings yet and the new speakers need another few months of day to day listening to deliver their best.

I've uploaded more pics and description on the install last night:

http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57374

I would like to upload some good pics but obviously I don't have the privileges to post attachements at my membership level. Could someone tell me how many posts I need to post b4 I can post attachments? Cheers.

Abuimad
10-05-2005, 05:20 AM
its not how many posts, get a photobucket account its for free, upload ur pics there, and then copy the img url from there to here, and we will b able to c ur pics..

98Benzo
01-29-2013, 07:56 PM
Where can I get a dash kit for my aftermarket cd player??