PDA

View Full Version : Definitive air filter advice needed

fintail
10-01-2005, 11:23 AM
I know there has been discussion - I have searched it and read it, but I would like some current advice re: air filters.

I have a 98 C43, 55K miles, in very good condition. I've been doing some servicing on it, and have thought about the air filters. I got a pair of K&N cheap, but upon reading the discussion here, am hesitant to install them. I have them sitting and airing out now after wiping up the excess oil. Should I proceed? Or just ebay these and get something else?

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'd rather not lose the MAF, but from what some people say, it's bound to fail no matter what you do.

Also, is there any diagram or instructions here on how to install a new filter? I feel like I am going to break the plastic engine cover when trying to remove it. Is there a trick to this?

Ashkan's C280
10-01-2005, 01:01 PM
I have run a K&N and have not had a problem at all, I say use them

Abuimad
10-01-2005, 02:18 PM
if you bought a K&N filter new then you wouldnt have problems with too little or too much oil, too little or too much is when u have to clean your filter...i have a K&N ive been using it for about a month now, the sound is incredible esspecialy on a kickdown, as for fuel consuption its about the same, didnt see any drastic change maybe a lil more consumption, and power it adds nothing....

Sulaco
10-01-2005, 03:16 PM
K&N definitely ruined my MAS once.

Also, mine never sounded any different with a K&N. Hmm.

jnolte
10-01-2005, 03:39 PM
never ruined my MAS, ruined my freinds CLK55. Dosent really sound any diffrent, MAYBE on Wide open throttle

c55m8o
10-01-2005, 04:33 PM
I like the performance increase that K&Ns offer. But I gotta say, it's true ... I didn't want to believe it, but after the 2nd time, I'm a believer. Had performance problems:
a) after I installed it ... ended up spraying gumout a few thousands miles after install into the MAF housing -- which many here as well as the guy that did my swap says "god no!" to -- but it really did help and didn't ruin the MAF. I'll agree, that it didn't bring it back to 100% sensetivity ... the car wasn't as precise in its responsiveness in the low to mid RPM range like it is now.
b) recently after I cleaned and re-oiled it during my engine swap ... I applied =way= too much oil -- Carl was right on the money when he saw what I did and said that I'd ruin my MAF -- and sure enough, my MAF was ruined about 3K - 4K miles after that.

Many here believe the MAF is a 50K replacement item anyway. Given your mileage, ya can always install the K&N, and in about 5K miles, replace the MAF...;)

edit: I noticed a subtle difference in sound.; more resonance.

fintail
10-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll think it over. I'll probably try it out though...if the MAS is a 50K mile part, it will just be an excuse to replace it. But if the K&N makes the part fail every 5K, I don't want to go there.

Any hints on installation? What kind of mileage have you guys put on K&N?

Why would one spray gumout into the housing?

c55m8o
10-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by fintail
But if the K&N makes the part fail every 5K, I don't want to go there. I didn't mean to imply that ... saying when the filter's fresh, or re-oiled after cleaning, the loose or excess oil on the filter must be coming off in the first few thousand miles and gets on the MAF, and doing anything from affecting its sensetivity, to wecking it.

Abuimad
10-01-2005, 06:53 PM
well i had filters all my life, and since i just switched to german..i installed a filter b4 i even got the damn plates...it was a 5 minutes job (u can reduce the time by half if u dont smoke while installing it :D ) my milage has gone down the drain for one reason only, i love to kickdown now just to hear that sound (my car is a c230...4 cylinders have a much stronger sound than a 6 cylinder or an 8) i say go for it, its a cheap mod...

Ashkan's C280
10-01-2005, 08:53 PM
my maf lasted 94k before i fucked mine up, so I think if its new it will last for sure, the re oiling is the problem

fintail
10-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I am debating it, but I will probably use the filters at least for awhile and see if they work out. If not, I can always use something else and sell them or something. There was what looked like excess oil on the filter frame when I opened them - I wiped it all off and wiped the filter too. Maybe this will help, it can't hurt.

Ashkan's C280
10-02-2005, 10:13 AM
Green filters are also good to use

Abuimad
10-02-2005, 10:43 AM
yep i had a green filter once and they were very good, but then again i also had an omp and they are pretty good....im thinking that all those filters are the same thing but different packaging (note: all reputable non replica filters are the same)

Polestar
10-02-2005, 11:09 AM
When I installed a K&N like filter on my Ford Focus, I remember a discussion I had with Ford Racing.
Apparently,K&N cone type filters could ( maybe still do) foul MAFs. (I believe K&N was sued over this.) However, it was determined that there was no problem with panel type K&N air filters.

Abuimad
10-02-2005, 11:17 AM
sry but im still an amateur in mechanics....whats a cone and a pannel filter ???

jnolte
10-02-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Abuimad
sry but im still an amateur in mechanics....whats a cone and a pannel filter ???

cone fiter is the round filters used in like Cold air intakes, they have 360 degrees of air intake.

Panel filters are flat and used in stock applications, its what you have stock in your mercedes

Abuimad
10-02-2005, 11:22 AM
oh and in ur opinion wich one is better, sound wise, or performance wise ?

jnolte
10-02-2005, 03:35 PM
cone filter is 100 percent better in sound and performance

Polestar
10-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Cone (http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/kncone.html)

Panel (http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/performance/kn-filters/kn-replacement)

Typically cone filter applications do away with the air box and are physically closer to the MAF. Agressive air induction systems often use a cone filter

A panel filter is the same shape as the stock paper filter and sits in the stock air box. However, it uses the same filter media ( oiled cotton gauze in wire mesh) as the high-flow cone, but its placement is futher away from the MAF.

rcapi
10-18-2005, 08:47 PM
I've had K & N filters in my C43 for a year and no problems yet.

htfan1
11-02-2005, 12:59 PM
I've had a K&N "panel" stock replacement filter in my C220 for over a year without an issue.

REMUS
11-03-2005, 08:15 AM
I also looked into putting the filter into my car and had purchased it. When I took it in to get 90,000 maintaince, the owner had takin it right out and replaced it with a stock. Reason being because the oil from the filter gets into the MAF, this is coming from a top notch foriegn autoworks.

I really am looking too get the short ram intake for it, and I have debating wether or not its worth installing. It seems really easy too do and I bet makes the engine sounds really nice...any suggestions?

REMUS
11-06-2005, 10:50 AM
All this talk about excess oil coming from filter and ruining the MAF, would it not just be safe too check it every 1,000 miles or so. EVen just buying a brand new filter would better.

Reason im writing this is because i just bought a cone intake for my c230k too replace panel, and im hoping not too cause a problem....

Abuimad
11-06-2005, 11:17 AM
yeah replacing it im thinking is the best option but every 1000 miles is just too much....how did u put ur filter mine keeps on wobbiling in the engine ?? how did u make it stay in its place ?

REMUS
11-06-2005, 12:27 PM
I have not installed it yet, and Looking into the engine a question I had was is this intake gunna wobble all over or not. So im gunna have too find a solution, it really shouldn';t be hard too do..

manny
11-06-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by rcapi
I've had K & N filters in my C43 for a year and no problems yet.

Have mine for 3 years, 50 k miles.
NO problem & none expected. ;)
Maybe it's because I've run K&N's for over 20 years & know NOT to over-oil them! ;)

Abuimad
11-06-2005, 05:40 PM
well when u do post...i had mine removed cause A) my engine is hot..and this thing is pumping in hot air....B) the thing wobbles to much in the engine bay... the other day i was having my engine cleaned..and the filter was not on (must have hit a really hard bump and the thing fell off...cause when i installed it, i didnt tighten the metal screw)

fintail
11-10-2005, 09:17 AM
I still haven't installed it. I talked to my independent MB tech, and he advised against it. Maybe I'm not a risk taker. I have the filters sitting on a closet shelf, ready to go.

If/when I do put it in, how does one remove the plastic engine cover on a C43?