PDA

View Full Version : Brembo cross drilled rotors

d3Code
07-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Does anyone have experience with Brembo Cross Drilled front rotors? Where did you get them and how much. The best price I got was $197 each.
Which pads are the best for this? I've been hearing alot about the Axxis metal masters.

Thanks,

d3Code

99 C280 Sport

Deepchord
07-11-2003, 10:51 AM
Some place in Canada is selling them(Brembos) for the w202 for $125 USD on Ebay for the pair. I would check that out.

nokia8860
07-11-2003, 10:51 AM
Axxis are great pads. For rotors you could also try the grooved ATE.

kameraguy
07-11-2003, 11:08 AM
If interested, i'm selling a set of cross-drilled AWE rotors for $150 for both. They are brand new and were not the right size for my car. I believe they are for a C280. I will measure them to confirm.

Let me know if you are interested.

Joey, what size does the C280 need? I hope mine are for SOME MB car so i can sell them :(

Denlasoul
07-11-2003, 04:40 PM
I would think slotted rotors are better than cross-drilled, in terms of just a rotor upgrade. They keep the pads cleaner, dont they?

Also, if you go with cross-drilled, make sure they were made that way. I heard alot of discount places buy Brembo rotos and cross-drill them themselves. A forged rotor with "cross-drills" would be stonger than a solid rotor that was cross-drilled.

speedybenz
07-11-2003, 04:54 PM
Denlasoul quote: A forged rotor with "cross-drills" would be stonger than a solid rotor that was cross-drilled.

They do not actually make forged rotors. The rotor on the front of our cars are cast iron. They are vented so the two braking faces are separated by vanes that allow cooling air to get between the rotor faces to help with cooling.

There should be little difference in strength between a soild and vented rotor.

On our racing Superbikes we used to use cast iron rotors too, but we generated so much heat they would sometime explode. This happened to a close friend of mine and as a result he was severely injured, however he has since healed up well.

To solve the iron rotor problem we went to Stainless Steel rotors and very aggressive sintered metal pads to make up for the loss in friction.

Sorry for going off topic, sometimes I get stuck back in motorcycle racing land.

Jeff

Denlasoul
07-11-2003, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Jeff.

I think I mean to say was that the Brembo was a solid rotor(?) and that wehn they make corss-drilled rortos, the iron (or whatever material used) is put into a mold and the "cross-drilled holes" are formed.

Now I heard/read that some places take a solid rotor and drill them to get the cross-drilled effect. I know they did this back in the day, but isnt the rotor that came with the pre-made holes stronger than the rotors with "afttermarket" holes?

I must have misused the word "forged." What I meant by forged, was that the rotors were made that way (cross-drilled) from the factory, abd not the commonly used/appropriate term.

speedybenz
07-11-2003, 07:48 PM
Denlasoul,

I have heard the same thing about the holes being drilled after casting, which can lead to stress concentrations and cracking.

Some companys drill the holes after the casting but then they stress relieve the rotor to remove the stress concentrations.

So where can we get a good cross drilled or slotted rotor for the back of our C43's.

Also where is a place to get the Axxiss Metal Master brake pads for the front calipers.

Jeff

slk320
07-12-2003, 07:53 AM
I just got a set of cross drilled rotors from Jerry at ...yes, my favorite place, www.formymercedes.com

HE does not list them on the site (only groved and multislotted) but he has cross drilled as well if you call him.

Jerry also does plating and cryo freezing and the prices are cheaper for genuine BREMBO product than anywhere else I have seen. (I am getting mine at 115.00 per rotor for front and 99.00 per for the back)

d3Code
07-12-2003, 08:32 AM
Thanks SLK320. I sent Jerry and email and hopefully he'll get back to me.

Cheers!

slk320
07-12-2003, 08:41 AM
HAHAHA, no no.. you can't send Jerry Emails... he never returns them (but thats not to say he is bad at customer service, just he is not good at the computer stuff) just call him on the toll free number on Monday. Tell him Paul with the SLK 320 sent you and he will work out a discount for you!:cool:

Deepchord
07-12-2003, 11:04 AM
The ones on Ebay are fakes. The brand name is "Bremboner",
not original Brembo.