PDA

View Full Version : NOS for the commuter?

htfan1
10-16-2005, 11:34 AM
There's some good information on this site about the use of Nitrous Oxide as a low cost alternative to turbo/SC.

From the information I've seen, it seems like a 35 to 50 HP wet shot is relatively safe for a stock engine.

Does anyone have feedback on using NOS in a normal day to day commuting (non-race) situation? How often do you need to fill the tank? What's the ave. cost for a refill? Any engine concerns?

Thanks!

nudymeyer6
10-16-2005, 12:20 PM
nos = bad

some argue it is ok, the more intelligent know that nos is bad! i did a huge 2 semester science fair project on nos.... it is no good for a stock engine. you can build your engine to handle it but with how much that costs. you might as well get a turbo/sc. and save money and get power whenever you want and not have to refill a tank. just my 2 cents, do whatever YOU want though...

Under Pressure
10-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by nudymeyer6
nos = bad

some argue it is ok, the more intelligent know that nos is bad! i did a huge 2 semester science fair project on nos.... it is no good for a stock engine. you can build your engine to handle it but with how much that costs. you might as well get a turbo/sc. and save money and get power whenever you want and not have to refill a tank. just my 2 cents, do whatever YOU want though...

I respectfully disagree. Sure N2O can be bad if you run like a 200hp shot on stock engine, but this guy wants 35-50 shot. YOur car will handle that fine. I had a turbo kit running 55 extra hp via forced induction on my stock C220 block. It handled it fine. N20 has a bad reputation but thats only b/c of idiots that get greedy and turn up the spray. You'll be fine with 35-50 shot.

nudymeyer6
10-16-2005, 05:16 PM
i can understand what you are saying...BUT, no matter the size of the shot, you are still introducing foreign chemicals that are bad for the engine. engines are meant to handle gas and air exploding and creating power. well now you are putting nitrousoxide into it. the nitro isnt even what gives you the power it is the oxygen that gives power, nitrogen is there only to keep temperatures down. if it wasnt for the nitro at least one part(whether it be a piston, part of the block, etc) would prolly melt. and i can understand what you are saying and with that little shot it wont be horribly bad for your engine but in the long run you will still see the effects of trying to take a shortcut to power. and if you arent doin any racing why are you willing to spend the money on a nitrouse system? if your not racing as much as i hate to say this...it would prolly be a better choice for you to go all show no go. that way you keep reliability and still get to look all cool. and if you are like me and hate all show no go, just save up for a while and get a turbo or something.... once again everyone has there own opinion. the obove is just my thought on nitrouse.

Abuimad
10-16-2005, 05:20 PM
well i am no mechanic, so i wont give my opinion on if its good or bad, but i would say go for a turbo or supercharge it, cause then u would have the power all the time, and not on the click of a button, plus i think its more reliable, and more....benzish...or german

nudymeyer6
10-16-2005, 05:21 PM
but if you have a c-class your not worried about being fast as much as you are worried about having a nice entry level luxury car. so in the end you have to choose luxury or performance. now before i get yelled at, there is such a thing as a healthy medium between luxury and performance but it is usually expensive to get there.

Renn 208
10-16-2005, 06:55 PM
i can understand what you are saying...BUT, no matter the size of the shot, you are still introducing foreign chemicals that are bad for the engine. engines are meant to handle gas and air exploding and creating power. well now you are putting nitrousoxide into it. the nitro isnt even what gives you the power it is the oxygen that gives power, nitrogen is there only to keep temperatures down. if it wasnt for the nitro at least one part(whether it be a piston, part of the block, etc) would prolly melt.

Sorry nudy, but you are terribly mis-informed about how N20 systems work, basic gas properties, and how internal combustion engines work. I would suggest you do some reading up first before what you say turns into another internet fallacy.

False perceptions based on a lack of factual knowledge will not help other members make decisions on what to do, and what not to do to their cars. Take the time to learn the basic principals, and you opinion will become both more informed and helpful.

c280nz
10-16-2005, 07:23 PM
I back under-pressure up here,
If you want nos do what he says and you should be ok.
If you want more consistant performance do what auibmad says.
Nos is the cheaper option out of the two just do a fair bit of resaerch about the actual mechanics of nos systems and you should be able to safely build and install your own system.
-35 DRY shot should be ok-

and as for cost it is quite expensive to run "per-shot"(friend was running one in a honda 5-10$nz per 20-30sec burst) but that comparitavily is going down as petrol becomes so damn expensive :-(
good luck and stick to your word and do it then tell us all how fun it is on your car :)
+ how wank is it getting to say "yea.. i run nos in my benz" :cool:

nudymeyer6
10-16-2005, 08:16 PM
renn would you mind informing me( i swear i am not being a smartass) cause apparently the internet has lied to me, bastard internet!!! :P

jnenad16
10-17-2005, 12:47 AM
the nitrous oxide is not harmful to the engine components, the damage that results from using NO2 is from excessive HP output on the stock engines. the nitrogen itself does not burn with the combustion, but rather acts as a catalyst for the oxygen, in addition of that it cools the air charge while traveling through the air intake. the extra oxygen in NO2 is used to burn additional fuel for even more power.

nenad

JonC43
10-17-2005, 06:10 AM
I was thinking along the same lines that any damage would be due to the extra stress on the engine. I would think that a bolt-on supercharger would decrease the life of an engine more than a small shot of NOS. Then again, at least the supercharger is consistant.

Any NOS recommendations for a C43?

nudymeyer6
10-17-2005, 06:25 AM
thanx guys that is what i thought but the internet had me thinking that it was the way that i typed above. thanx again ;)

jnolte
10-17-2005, 11:03 AM
thanx guys that is what i thought but the internet had me thinking that it was the way that i typed above. thanx again ;)

I thought you said you did a HUGE 2 semester science project on NOS? Did you get an F? ;)

My freind has a 50 shot of NO2 on his beater Audi A4 1998 2.8 He has had it hooked up for like 5 years, never has it done any damage. Dont get greedy with the shot and you will be fine.

nudymeyer6
10-17-2005, 11:30 AM
i did, but unfortunately no shops had the time to explain how it worked. so i relied on the internet. and like my science teaccher knows anything about cars, :P

Under Pressure
10-17-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by JonC43
Any NOS recommendations for a C43?

There are a few brands to choose from - Nitrous Oxide Systems ("NOS"), Edelbrock, Venom, Zex, Nitrous Express ("NX"), etc.

A lot of these are universal and can be put into any car.

htfan1
10-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Under Pressure
There are a few brands to choose from - Nitrous Oxide Systems ("NOS"), Edelbrock, Venom, Zex, Nitrous Express ("NX"), etc.

Is there anyone in Club202 running Nitrous Oxide on a regular basis, or are most using it for specific "race days"?

Denlasoul
10-17-2005, 08:13 PM
I am not sureof his particular usage, but contact Member Brabus. He has a NO2 kit on his C36.

JonC43
10-17-2005, 09:41 PM

Thank you for the info.;)

Abuimad
10-17-2005, 10:29 PM
comming to think of it, i would hook my car up with nos, just so that i can have it in my sig, and put a decal on my windshield this car is powered by....

thmsshaun
10-18-2005, 01:35 AM
I could be interested in NOS on the C43 but then it would be for track use once ever year or something. As a sily way to increase power NOS is in no way a cost effective alternative to a turbo / scharger.

I was after some cheap power mods for my C43 but the reall answer is there is no way of increasing power cheaply and probably the most effective way would be to save up for a bigger car such as the C43.

htfan1
10-18-2005, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by thmsshaun
... As a sily way to increase power NOS is in no way a cost effective alternative to a turbo / scharger...

I agree with the SC/Turbo vs. NOS in the long run. My intent for NOS is a temporary solution for HP until I save $$ for the SC/turbo or upgraded car.

Under Pressure
10-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by thmsshaun
NOS is in no way a cost effective alternative to a turbo / scharger.

In the land of aftermarket forced induction kits for Hondas and Fords, I would agree with you. HOwever, Mercedes aftermarket forced induction kits always have the "Mercedes-markup" that makes them usually four times more than other car turbo/sc kits.

For example, you can supercharge an Acura for $3000 (using a quality Jackson Racing supercharger kit). For Mercedes, the cheapest supercharger in the game is HPS and they demand a five-digit price to play. So in our world of Mercedes ownership, N2O is by far a very cost effective alternative for power.

Abuimad
10-19-2005, 06:31 AM
shiit thats a lot of money for supercharging a car, but htfan1 can understand ur pain, our 4 cylinder cars have really shitty performance, neidea how muh turboing out car costs, a member here jstrat has turboes his car..wonder how many hp's did it add and how much it set him back

c280nz
10-19-2005, 06:55 AM
ahem *ask Under pressure* ahem
damn cough
;)

coolin
11-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Abuimad
shiit thats a lot of money for supercharging a car, but htfan1 can understand ur pain, our 4 cylinder cars have really shitty performance, neidea how muh turboing out car costs, a member here jstrat has turboes his car..wonder how many hp's did it add and how much it set him back

If you've got a Nat. Asp. C220 or C230 and want a 20-30hp boost in power I would just trade your car in for a used C230K, C280, 325i or 328i. If you're in a sunny climate you could probably get a older 944 Turbo for $10K.

Investing big bucks in a 140 hp engine is a bit of a waste of money. Even with 50 more horsepower, you'll likely still get embarrased by most of those aformentioned vehicles.

Unless smoking Dodge Caravans is your thing, I'd put the money into rims and springs.

htfan1
11-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by coolin
If you've got a Nat. Asp. C220 or C230 and want a 20-30hp boost in power I would just trade your car in for a used C230K, C280, 325i or 328i. If you're in a sunny climate you could probably get a older 944 Turbo for $10K.

Investing big bucks in a 140 hp engine is a bit of a waste of money. Even with 50 more horsepower, you'll likely still get embarrased by most of those aformentioned vehicles.

Unless smoking Dodge Caravans is your thing, I'd put the money into rims and springs.

Actually "smoking" other cars for me is not a concern (been there, done that back in high school). Today, I just need more HP for whenever or whatever!

I appreciate your 2 cents, however I've done the research. In my neck of the woods a CLEAN C230K, C280 (only options considered) runs 13k to 17k. If I'm going to buy a replacement, it should be newer with much lower miles.

By "CLEAN", I mean at least as good of condition as my current C220. (Anyone that sees my car and doesn't know specific MB models thinks it's only a couple of years old.)

So, someone in my situation can spend around $500 (plus ocassional refills) or around 10k+ (13k to 17k less trade-in).

Which option do you think is spending "big bucks"?

c280nz
11-01-2005, 08:18 PM
interesting,
Im sure it wouldnt cost you anywhere near 10k to trade up,
around my area c180 through to c280s all sell for within a small price bracket something like this around your cars age
c180 $9000
c220 $11,000
c280 $12,000
c36 $24,000
So theres not quite 10k in it,
But that wasnt your point, i just had to pitch in with that

your obviously happy with the car you got so if you want a little boost get nos :)

htfan1
11-01-2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by c280nz
interesting,
Im sure it wouldnt cost you anywhere near 10k to trade up,
around my area c180 through to c280s all sell for within a small price bracket something like this around your cars age
c180 $9000
c220 $11,000
c280 $12,000
c36 $24,000
So theres not quite 10k in it,
But that wasnt your point, i just had to pitch in with that

your obviously happy with the car you got so if you want a little boost get nos :)

The Southern California car market (for '99 or '00 230k/280) must be very different from your area! The only way to keep it under 10K is to gamble and get a high mileage or salvage car.

c280nz
11-02-2005, 01:23 AM
oh you were meaning u want an 99 - 00.
those prices were for around 94-96 round the same age as your car.

htfan1
11-02-2005, 06:00 AM
oh you were meaning u want an 99 - 00.
those prices were for around 94-96 round the same age as your car.

Now it makes sense!

I thought about purchasing an older 202 with more power, but it is difficult to find something that has been taken good care of.

coolin
11-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by htfan1
Actually "smoking" other cars for me is not a concern (been there, done that back in high school). Today, I just need more HP for whenever or whatever!

I appreciate your 2 cents, however I've done the research. In my neck of the woods a CLEAN C230K, C280 (only options considered) runs 13k to 17k. If I'm going to buy a replacement, it should be newer with much lower miles.

By "CLEAN", I mean at least as good of condition as my current C220. (Anyone that sees my car and doesn't know specific MB models thinks it's only a couple of years old.)

So, someone in my situation can spend around $500 (plus ocassional refills) or around 10k+ (13k to 17k less trade-in).

Which option do you think is spending "big bucks"?

Buy a 325i. I'm sure you can find a 92-96 for comparable $$$ (I would ixnay a 1992, but that's another matter)

If you run nitrous (even a 30 shot) in a 2.2L M-B for long enough you'll run into problems - probably expensive ones. Come on, these cars are so fussy that you can't even use a K&N!

- CS

htfan1
11-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by coolin
Buy a 325i. I'm sure you can find a 92-96 for comparable $$$ (I would ixnay a 1992, but that's another matter)

If you run nitrous (even a 30 shot) in a 2.2L M-B for long enough you'll run into problems - probably expensive ones. Come on, these cars are so fussy that you can't even use a K&N!

- CS

I wish a 325i was an option, they just don't do it for me. I'm stuck on 202's for now at least.

BTW, I had to have my car smog checked last night (passed with flying colors) for registration. However, a new concern for me going to nitrous is the CA emissions laws. I have no idea if a car with nitrous will even pass the physical inspection portion. The guy working the smog station said it would NOT.

My C220 seems to be less fussy. I've been running a K&N filter for over a year without an issue! My understanding is the K&N concern is from over-oiling the filter.

Abuimad
11-02-2005, 11:42 AM
they say the over oiling of the filter causes, the maf to get clogged on oil and hence mess up and it costs big $$$ to replace

c280nz
11-02-2005, 01:08 PM
The only reason i could see if you kept your standard exhaust with smog testing is if they saw the actual nos bottle :confused:
why have you changed your exhaust or plan on taking out the cats etc if u get it?

htfan1
11-02-2005, 01:47 PM
The only reason i could see if you kept your standard exhaust with smog testing is if they saw the actual nos bottle :confused:
why have you changed your exhaust or plan on taking out the cats etc if u get it?

Currently, I have no intention of modifying my exhaust beyond the magnaflow already installed.

The smog station guy may have been exaggerating, but he was insinuating if they see some clues (like fuel "T", extra "lines ??", etc) in the engine compartment they'll get suspicious and investigate further. :confused:

coolin
11-02-2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by htfan1
My understanding is the K&N concern is from over-oiling the filter.

I've got a general question for everyone out there. I used to put K&N's on every car I owned. It was the first thing I did. I have to honestly say that I never noticed a tangible difference - when installed on an otherwise stock vehicle.

I installed them on a Talon Tsi, 325i, Celica GTS, C4 Corvette and jet skis.

What's the consensus?

R&T Speed magazine had an interesting article in one of this summer's issues. They took an RSX and did three phases of performance mods. Some of them really didn't do much (in the case of the RSX, the stock exhaust system was pretty efficient - a full cat back system by some tuning company only yielded 2hp at the wheels - at a cost of $1000+.

Under Pressure
11-02-2005, 09:32 PM
Again, there is no problem w/ running a 50shot on a C220. THe engines are tough. Like I said earlier, I had a turbo kit running 50hp extra on my C220 for quite a while, and it handled it fine