PDA

View Full Version : Weird Gas smell problem!

zion1976
10-17-2005, 04:26 PM
Hi, everyone..I just purchased a 94 C280 and have been enjoying the car..but recently ive been smelling a very faint gas smell coming from car when i shut her off..i checked for puddles on the floor, i looked at the gas tank and thats dry also..also i checked the gas gauge and im not loosing any gas either..wonder what it could be..anyone have this problem??or know what it could be?:confused:

jnolte
10-17-2005, 04:50 PM
running rich?

benzfan
10-17-2005, 04:59 PM
Check 2 things. First, check your fuel pressure regulator by pulling the small vacuum line off it. The fuel pressure regulator is about 1.5" diameter and is located at the front of the curved plastic bits of your intake manifold against the engine. You are checking for fuel in this line or any traces of it. Take off the intake manifold crossover (3 nuts and 1 hose clamp - just keep the MAF sensor attached as you put it aside) and lift up the plastic piece that covers the fuel injector area. Look for evidence of leaks around this area with a good light. I suspect you will find nothing in either of these checks, but it essentially rules out 2 common areas. Next, try to pinpoint the area of the car that the smell is coming from. Is it coming from the back? Passenger side or driver's side? Wheelwell area? Driver's side wheelwell is where the charcoal canister is located and it is possible it is saturated. When the engine is turned off, the purge flow into the engine ceases and you could get the smell escaping around the canister. Passenger side? You could have a problem with the filler neck of the tank.

zion1976
10-18-2005, 02:42 AM
thanks guys..i will check these items and report back.