PDA

View Full Version : Help, My check egine light is on.

mike816
10-18-2005, 04:51 AM
I was driving to work yesterday and I had about a quarter tank of gas left, all of a sudden the lights starts flashing as if I was running out of gas. No biggie I went to the gas station later on that day and put some gas about a quarter full and i got on the highway and got to school and it did again and to top it off my check engine light came on. I look under my hood and checked for loose connections, and smelled around looking for any gas smells, I look at the floor for any wet areas and I found nothing. Can someone out there help.

c55m8o
10-18-2005, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by mike816
I was driving to work yesterday and I had about a quarter tank of gas left, all of a sudden the lights starts flashing as if I was running out of gas. No biggie I went to the gas station later on that day and put some gas about a quarter full and i got on the highway and got to school and it did again and to top it off my check engine light came on.
loose gas cap. If I recall correctly, the check engine light clears itself up on this one.

mike816
10-18-2005, 06:30 AM
Thanks I will try that.

jnolte
10-18-2005, 08:01 AM
yeah it means there is a leak in your gas system somewhere, usually loose gas cap, do a search on the forum plenty info here

mbLova
10-19-2005, 01:45 PM
If you check engine light is on... the VERY SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME! word for word brotha

i got an obd2 scanner and i scanned that bad boy
these are the codes that i got

P0455 and
EVAP Emission Control System Leak(large)

Any idea of what these problems are and how to fix them?
BTw i still get the flashing reserve fuel light and CEL Light.

benzaddict
10-19-2005, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by mbLova
If you check engine light is on... the VERY SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME! word for word brotha

i got an obd2 scanner and i scanned that bad boy
these are the codes that i got

P0455 and
EVAP Emission Control System Leak(large)

Any idea of what these problems are and how to fix them?
BTw i still get the flashing reserve fuel light and CEL Light.

Listen to C55 and jnolte and tighten your gas cap, brotha...

mbLova
10-19-2005, 11:52 PM
Is it just as simple as that? because i have done that a good 4-5 times and tightened it as much as possible... father wants to take it to the stealership and i havent been letting him.. as long as the car is safe to drive then its all gravy but the problem is that inspecition is due this month so i guess i might as well reset the codes??

mike816
10-21-2005, 05:54 AM
My light turned off this morning I'm so happy.

c55m8o
11-07-2005, 07:07 AM
Talk about irony ... my "low fuel light" started blinking a few weeks ago when I had pleanty of fuel ... fiddling with the gascap has had mixed results ... check engine went on weeks ago and still hasn't gone out... <grrr> ;)

mbLova
11-07-2005, 10:50 AM
told you it wouldnt go away... plus i got my jersey inspectiona failed so now i got like 45 days to get it fixed....

c55m8o
11-07-2005, 01:52 PM
but you'll note mike816 reported it =did= go away on its own... ;) (as it had for me at least twice in the past)

Looks like I'm in the same boat as you now. I wonder if it's a vent hose or vacuum hose ...

mbLova
11-07-2005, 02:14 PM
it is possible that the vaccum hose has a leak, and i dont wanna hafta take it to the stealership.. :-( that would be very bad. so i dunno what to do with it.