PDA

View Full Version : I think I may need a new tranny....

knvs
10-18-2005, 04:14 PM
Well, I think I may need a new tranny...... I was on my way to drop off my car to have an oil leak fixed when all of a sudden the car dies on me and all the dash lights come on. This was on the freeway, but luckly there was some traffic so i was moving slow. I turned everything off and started it again and it started ok. But there was some white smoke coming from the back of the engine bay. Got off the freeway and stopped at a gas station. I checked under the car and noticed a huge puddle of fluid under the car. Looks like it was coming from the transmission. So now the car is at the shop having an oil leak fixed and the transmission looked at, but they think its coming from the transmission as the liquide is tranny fluid. Doesn't seem good. Hopefully it isn't too bad....

Car is a:
1998 C55
83k miles
No tranny issues before.
Haven't done a tranny flush yet.....

Abuimad
10-19-2005, 05:39 AM
how much does a new tranny used, and can u install a used one or does it have to b new ?

Ashkan's C280
10-19-2005, 08:36 AM
get a 210 e55 tranny or a 140 or 129 v12 tranny those would handle the power you have... or if you can rebuild it with all stronger parts... sorry to hear this

knvs
10-19-2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
get a 210 e55 tranny or a 140 or 129 v12 tranny those would handle the power you have... or if you can rebuild it with all stronger parts... sorry to hear this

the C43 and the e55 got their trannys from the sl600 so they're all the same...

ledrocnoc
10-20-2005, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by knvs
the C43 and the e55 got their trannys from the sl600 so they're all the same...

The internal maybe the same, but the E55 has the auto-manual shift (not sure how MB calls it). I talked to a Benz mechanic recently and he said to replace the C43 tranny with a E55, I'd probably need to upgrade the transimission computer and engine computer with the E55 ones.

I have a lead on a complete E55 engine + tranny + all the electronics... if it pans out, I might have a low mileage (45k) C43 setup for sale.

DC

knvs
10-20-2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by ledrocnoc
The internal maybe the same, but the E55 has the auto-manual shift (not sure how MB calls it). I talked to a Benz mechanic recently and he said to replace the C43 tranny with a E55, I'd probably need to upgrade the transimission computer and engine computer with the E55 ones.

I have a lead on a complete E55 engine + tranny + all the electronics... if it pans out, I might have a low mileage (45k) C43 setup for sale.

DC

the 2000 C43 came with the touch shift too. Its still the same tranny. The internals are the same so I don't see how changing to an E55 tranny will be any different besides having touch shift.

ledrocnoc
10-20-2005, 08:30 AM
the 2000 C43 came with the touch shift too. Its still the same tranny. The internals are the same so I don't see how changing to an E55 tranny will be any different besides having touch shift.

Are the transmission and engine computers the same between the non-touch-shift ('98/'99) and touch-sift C43 ('00)?

knvs
10-20-2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by ledrocnoc
Are the transmission and engine computers the same between the non-touch-shift ('98/'99) and touch-sift C43 ('00)?
i believe the tranny computers are the same, but the softwares may be different. just have to upgrade software and componentry for the touch shift. ECUs on all C43s are the same. In fact I'm still using my C43 ECU with my E55 engine. Everything is stock except for the engine.

ledrocnoc
10-20-2005, 12:13 PM
i believe the tranny computers are the same, but the softwares may be different. just have to upgrade software and componentry for the touch shift. ECUs on all C43s are the same. In fact I'm still using my C43 ECU with my E55 engine. Everything is stock except for the engine.

I wouldn't be surprised if the engine computer were the same with different software. The question is whether it's possible to reflash them (probably) and where do you get the E55 binary (from an E55 computer?)

Obviously the E55 engine runs with the C43 computer, but probably not optimally (I'd bet that the AMG engineers have developed specific ignition curves, transmission interface timing etc... for each engine and probably even on a country specific basis - fuel, etc...).

As far as the transmission goes, you might want to double check, since the touch-shift should require at least a couple of extra inputs (up-sift / down-shift) from the transmission computer).