PDA

View Full Version : Question about "Other" Car

coolin
10-24-2005, 10:51 AM
I hope I don't get booted for this...I know some of you guys are mechanics and this question seems general enough.

Here we go...

I just bought a 1998 Honda Prelude Type SH for my fiance and the ABS light is now on and staying on.

I was wondering if this is something I should worry about from a safety perspective and $$$$ perspective.

Any feedback welcome. Thanks.

Renn 208
10-24-2005, 11:42 AM
From a safety perspective, absolutely worry about it. Three lights I never ignore are the coolant light, Safety Restraint System light, and the Brake malfuction light. Definitely have the car checked out by a pro ASAP.

We can ignore Check Engines and small oil leaks for some time, but brake related warnings are one of the critical ones to pay attention to.

Money wise, I would have no idea until you are able to find out the root cause of the light.

Sulaco
10-24-2005, 12:39 PM
A honda what?

But seriously. No matter what the car: just slam on the brakes and see if they skid! ;)

NISMOPOWERED
10-24-2005, 06:14 PM
Her car has no ABS most likely. The brakes will funtion fine but can lock up. I would pull the battery neg terminal for 20 mins to reset the
computers and see if the light comes back on or not. If it does then get the car scanned to find out the code. Alot of computers can give false codes. Maybee a piece of metal triggered a wheel speed sensor and has now fallen out, That will set the light.