PDA

View Full Version : Diff leak

coolin
10-28-2005, 01:03 PM
I did a search under diff leak and nothing seemed to come up. I noticed a bit of oily fuzziness on the bottom edge of the differential suggesting (to me anyway) that I probably have a slow leak in my diff.

I believe that the diff is like the tranny in that it is supposed to be a sealed unit.

Has anyone changed the diff. gasket on a W202 yet? Is this a big deal?

- CS

knvs
10-28-2005, 02:18 PM
mine is leaking too. There is suppose to be some updated sealer or something. Dealer wanted $1400 to reseal it. I haven't done it yet tho

davis449
10-28-2005, 02:19 PM
Ok, just had this done (under Starmark thank God). It is a sealed unit, so they have to reseal it to stop the leak. Whatever you have sounds exactly like what I had, so I wouldn't worry too much about it if it costs a lot of $. It's a slow leak.

jstrat85
10-28-2005, 05:35 PM
i had mine done a couple of months ago. its the seal.

Ashkan's C280
10-28-2005, 09:46 PM
is it aerious to be leaking... I think mine has been leaking for a while now but nothing has really happened...

jnenad16
10-28-2005, 10:46 PM
the mb diffs dont have gaskets, just a selanant coating(all the diffs I worked on so far are like that). I have also explained the diff removal procedure, so do a search and you will find it.

nenad

Metromoto202
10-29-2005, 07:40 AM
One pinion seal, two axle seals, and the main rear plate is sealed with the black goop (sealant). If you have the speed sensor fitted to the right side that has a seal as well. i would not change the pinion seal unless it's leaking... getting the depth just right, takes some skill, and special tools... but a new one will be 3200+

vbrock1137
10-29-2005, 11:00 AM
Yeah, whacked mine on something doing some light offroading :rolleyes: , stealership said I broke the seal. Had it fixed for mucho $$$. Luckily that was b4 i lowered it!! :bunny: :bunny:

jnenad16
10-29-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Metromoto202
One pinion seal, two axle seals, and the main rear plate is sealed with the black goop (sealant). If you have the speed sensor fitted to the right side that has a seal as well. i would not change the pinion seal unless it's leaking... getting the depth just right, takes some skill, and special tools... but a new one will be 3200+
I was just refering to the back cover, which is what I assumed they were talking about.

nenad

SLAMMED_C
10-30-2005, 11:55 AM
damn.. 1400 to reseal the diff????.. WTF!
well as it was pointed out there are 3 actual seals.. the pinion, and diff side seals. then you have the rear cover.. which is a black sealant.. kinda like a caulk.
the main reason for diff leaks is the diff breather tube gets plugged up.. so the diff isnt a completely sealed unit.. there is a breather tube on the diff back cover.