PDA

View Full Version : steering problems

Abuimad
10-31-2005, 05:27 AM
hey ive been noticing that while i park my car, when i turn the steering wheel alll the way to the left or the right, the engine changes sound, and today while i was reversing reall slowly, and i turned all the way for a secound there i thought the car was gonna idle and turn off...is this normal, if not what do i do ?

benzaddict
10-31-2005, 06:51 AM
Yes it's normal, when you're at full steering lock the P/S pump is at max pressure output and will be noisy and your idle will drop because of the extra strain on the motor. Don't hold the wheel in that position for long because it will damage the pump and overheat the fluid really fast.

Silver202
10-31-2005, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by benzaddict
Yes it's normal, when you're at full steering lock the P/S pump is at max pressure output and will be noisy and your idle will drop because of the extra strain on the motor. Don't hold the wheel in that position for long because it will damage the pump and overheat the fluid really fast. :werd:

benzfan
10-31-2005, 09:32 AM
That max. pressure point is also the point at which you will blow any weak seals or hoses in the system. It's very bad all through the system to hold this position. Try to avoid it altogether.

Abuimad
10-31-2005, 09:57 PM
damn ill try my best, so basically i dont hold the steering wheel locked for a long time and ill b fine

benzfan
11-01-2005, 03:14 AM
Best not to turn it full lock at all. You can be just short of full lock and not cause any problems. This goes for any car with power steering, not just your Benz. If you hear that noise, just back the steering off just a bit.

Polestar
11-01-2005, 10:35 PM
It's best not to turn the wheel at all. Just go straight ahead and run things over. You may get a lot of dents, but at least you won't screw with the air pump and lines.:silly: