PDA

View Full Version : head gasket

dc36
11-06-2005, 12:43 PM
i was wondering if anyone has had there head gasket done on c36. i have a 95 w/66k and the dealer told me my head gasket is leaking slightly. i would like to know estimated price. thanx

Sulaco
11-06-2005, 12:45 PM
Doing a search on this will yield you more information than you could ever need.

But at the dealer you're looking at around $1200 for labor alone. Gasket set itself is about $80 I think.

dc36
11-06-2005, 01:13 PM
thanx

dono
11-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Check out the DIY article on mercedesshop.com. It may be that the leak is in front of the motor near the upper seal of the timing case cover. If this is the case, and the leak is not too serious it may not need to be addressed right away. For example ; my 97 C36 has a leak on the passenger side of the block near the timing case cover, but since it never looses enough to show drip marks on the garage floor, and never needs any oil to be added between changes,
(every 5 k with Mobil One) I will not address it at this time.
BTW, my mechanic confirmed 10 hours of labor to do the job.

Good Luck.

dc36
11-06-2005, 05:10 PM
yea i'm not loosing oil either but i am loosing coolant. i guess i'll just take it in when i'm ready to fork over the duckets$$. thanx again

97C28O
11-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Ehh.. I had my oil changed yesterday and the dude told me that my oil pan gasket is leaking.. but i dont see no oil drip in the garage..

J Irwan
11-06-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by dono
Check out the DIY article on mercedesshop.com. It may be that the leak is in front of the motor near the upper seal of the timing case cover. If this is the case, and the leak is not too serious it may not need to be addressed right away. For example ; my 97 C36 has a leak on the passenger side of the block near the timing case cover, but since it never looses enough to show drip marks on the garage floor, and never needs any oil to be added between changes,
(every 5 k with Mobil One) I will not address it at this time.
BTW, my mechanic confirmed 10 hours of labor to do the job.

Good Luck.

When I noticed the gasket leak on my 97 C36 I didn't experience any oil loss.
But I still had it replaced anyway.

Regardz,

alphanumeric
11-06-2005, 08:37 PM
do any of you guys agree with me that a "mercedes benz" blowing a head gasket at only 66k miles is bullshit? my 190e did the same thing when I first bought it @ only 93k miles!

dc36
11-07-2005, 03:05 AM
yeah this very common. its a shame. alot of cars go there life without that type of problem unless you really over heat the engine, but not benz no overheating and still blowing gaskets

dono
11-07-2005, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by J Irwan
When I noticed the gasket leak on my 97 C36 I didn't experience any oil loss.
But I still had it replaced anyway.

Regardz,

You have that wonderful warranty that covered it.

dono
11-07-2005, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by alphanumeric
do any of you guys agree with me that a "mercedes benz" blowing a head gasket at only 66k miles is bullshit? my 190e did the same thing when I first bought it @ only 93k miles!

I may be wrong, but I consider a blown head gasket to be one that causes coolant to enter the cylinders, or a loss of compression. I do think that it BS that I should have to consider changing my head gasket for such a small leak. I believe that it was a flaw in the design of the gasket, and has been corrected on the new type of head gasket that is now available from MB.

Regards, :)

dc36
11-07-2005, 02:19 PM
well you can loose coolant, oil or they can mix, also loose compression. alot of time it leaks into the chamber and you cant see the leak and the car will run fine. they sometimes test the coolant to see if it has exaust gas from the chamber and that tells them there is a leak. either way it sucks ass. its not regular maintenance, its more like a default. with it happening so much they should have done a recall. i used to work at a toyota dealer and they had that problem with 4runners at one time and they did a recall. so why not benz? i could be spending that money on mods, and maintenance.