PDA

View Full Version : this years best tires?

sig425
11-08-2005, 06:42 AM
I need new tires. As this is the first high powered rear wheel drive car I have owned (all else has been awd) I had thought about dedicated snow tires and dedicate summer tires. Well in Indiana we dont get enough snow so the dry pavement traction would be compromised by snow tires. I dont plan to track the car so ultra high performance summer is a waste for me. As a result I have been looking at high performance all season.

The Michelin pilot as looks good but they are very expensive
the pirelli p zero nero MS looks good but I have always had bad luck with pirelli.

Any of they east coast guys have a favorite year round tire?

There is a new company Nokian that the audi guys are talking about.. but Im not sure about new comapnies. Khumo and sumitomo both had suck ass tires for a long time so I dont like to try new companies much.

its made worse by the staggered sizing. i am very limited in what I can buy

thanks

Abuimad
11-08-2005, 08:28 AM
yeah tire choice is hard since they mean so much
here is a post on what ppl had to say on this subject
good luck
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8070&highlight=tires

sig425
11-08-2005, 08:55 AM
those were mostly high performance summer tires. I was hoping for some winter/snow info or I would go dunlop all the way... except they dont make dunlops for the c43 sizes :(.

sig425
11-08-2005, 09:10 AM
i found a pretty detail discussion about this topic on an e-class forum. Seems the michelins are too much hype. The pirellis are by far the way to go. Guess Im up for $700 expense tomorrow.:(

Abuimad
11-08-2005, 09:29 AM
what pirelli's r u installing and whats ur rimm size ?

sig425
11-08-2005, 11:52 AM
p zero nero ms

225 45 r17 front
245 40 r17 rear

Sulaco
11-08-2005, 01:21 PM
Ever looked at the new Michelin Pilot Exalto a/s?
User reviews on thetirerack.com seem to love them, and they're pretty damn cheap for high performance tires. Something like $79/tire? Deffinitely my next choice. The MXV4 M+S Plus' are too damned expensive and don't last long enough. Every other tire I've ran on my car made it slide on wet roads like soapy glass--including cheaper michelins that were claimed to be made specifically for wet-weather conditions.

Could my extremely old suspension have much to do with my incredibly poor traction?

Denlasoul
11-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Check out the new issue of Eurotuner. They test 14 different tires.

sig425
11-09-2005, 03:14 AM
very few all season high performance tires fit the factory c43 sizes.
Michelin pilot as
pirelli p zero nero ms
a khumo
and a sumitomo

there is a much wider selection for ultra high performance summer tires. Based on the tire rack reports, some tire reviews I read, and mbworld reviews... the pirellis are a good way to go. The pilots have better dry traction but last a lot less and handle worse in the snow. They are also a lot more expensive at $50 more per tire and are noisier.

allirroz
11-09-2005, 04:11 AM
I have the m500 on 18 inch staggered.... but the m550 is a all yr round... very happy with the m500 super quiet .....ck out reviews on tirerack .

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?additionalComments=y&tireMake=Avon&tireModel=Tech+M550+A%2FS&commentStatus=P