PDA

View Full Version : Performance Mods pass CA Smog?

htfan1
11-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Does anyone on Club202 have experience/knowledge of issues with installing performance mods and passing California Smog?

I just had to go through the smog cert process (at a "Test Only" station) for my registration renewal. My car passed fine right now. I only have minor mods (K&N + exhaust).

However, the smog test guys gave me a hard time when I just "asked" about other performance mods (turbo, S/C, etc.) and smog certification. He said unless it is officially approved by Excecutive Order with an EO number, the car won't technically pass smog in California with the device installed. Even if the emissions are in range!

I also checked this site for confirmation:

www.smogcheck.ca.gov (http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov)

It says the same thing! There is also a database on the site with EO approved devices (mainly air intakes, etc.). How are people with REAL mods like turbos & S/Cs passing smog?

Unless the smog check guy doesn't know the regulations...

ryhi
11-09-2005, 07:57 AM
i passed with aftermarket intake, muffler, and no resonator. i even passed with my car running weird (CEL was on but i disconnected battery making it turn off for a few days).

htfan1
11-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by ryhi
i passed with aftermarket intake, muffler, and no resonator. i even passed with my car running weird (CEL was on but i disconnected battery making it turn off for a few days).

I know! You're a very lucky man! (I also mentioned that in your post on this subject.)