PDA

View Full Version : Speedybenz On Board

c55m8o
11-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Take a look @ what arrived yesterday....
:D Thank you Jeff! It was a long wait but I'm sure it will be worth it.

For those who don't know what you are looking @, do a search on speedybenz on this board. You can also read THIS HERE (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5953) .

On to the good stuff...
http://images15.fotki.com/v232/photos/2/296054/2857673/CIMG1083-vi.jpg

CLICK HERE (http://public.fotki.com/m8o/kar_krazy/speedybenz_on_board/) for the entire library of pics. You can get to the full rez originals from here too.

http://images8.fotki.com/v108/photos/2/296054/2857673/CIMG1062-vi.jpg
http://images15.fotki.com/v233/photos/2/296054/2857673/CIMG1061-vi.jpg
http://images12.fotki.com/v239/photos/2/296054/2857673/CIMG1123-vi.jpg
http://images15.fotki.com/v233/photos/2/296054/2857673/CIMG1124-vi.jpg

I especially like the close-ups I took on with the Macro setting. ;)

http://images15.fotki.com/v230/photos/2/296054/2857673/CIMG1102-vi.jpg
http://images8.fotki.com/v107/photos/2/296054/2857673/CIMG1108-vi.jpg
http://images8.fotki.com/v108/photos/2/296054/2857673/CIMG1120-vi.jpg

Renn 208
11-12-2005, 01:29 PM
yummy tastic...mind documenting the whole install/test process?

714guy
11-12-2005, 02:05 PM
WOW!!! need step by step install photos

manny
11-12-2005, 02:28 PM
Well, I see part of the package includes the BEST springs money can buy. ;)

c55m8o
11-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Unfortunately, I don't trust myself to do the install alone, so I don't know if I can provide that. (don't shoot me; I'm a programmer, not a mechanic. :o )

I wanted to use a local racing shop to do it. Though the guy that did the motor swap for me expressed interest in doing the install.

...good news with that too is if I go with the latter, I'll be able to be there and be able to document the whole thing. (waiting for some instructions from Jeff first too).

c55m8o
11-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by manny
Well, I see part of the package includes the BEST springs money can buy. ;) ...and did you notice ... @ 600 & 800 lbs.

J Irwan
11-12-2005, 03:15 PM
Wow......

yummy....
good quality components... :)

Regardz,

Ashkan's C280
11-12-2005, 03:44 PM
why are there so many sets ofcamber arms??? Can you tell us which partsd are which, there is some crazy stuff I've never seen in there before

manny
11-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by c55m8o
...and did you notice ... @ 600 & 800 lbs.

Planning on carrying some obese passengers ? :D

jstrat85
11-12-2005, 04:35 PM
steve that shit looks crraazzzzyyyyy. how much did it cost you???

trymonlam
11-12-2005, 04:45 PM
absolutely fantastic... please take pictures for the installation. i am a programmer as well and if i have the money for a new setup i would take pictures.

714guy
11-12-2005, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by jstrat85
steve that shit looks crraazzzzyyyyy. how much did it cost you???

I guessing 5k+, forgot who i talked to but those shocks are close to a thousand each.

jstrat85
11-12-2005, 04:55 PM
no fuckin way. steve if this is true you are crazy:D crazy like me:D hahaha;)

c55m8o
11-12-2005, 07:41 PM
I thought the same thing; that I had an xtra set of camber arms. Shows you how much I know too, because I'm not sure if it is, or is to be used in another area of the suspension. I wasn't going to add them to the pix, but figured I'd just shoot everything I had; else Jeff might be ask'n "what happened to ..." ;)

c55m8o
11-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by jstrat85
no fuckin way. steve if this is true you are crazy:D crazy like me:D hahaha;) err, welp ... I wouldn't normally re-quote prices, but as Jeff had already stated the cost himself about a year ago on this board, I'll say that's about right ... only add another %10 more to that. :o Jeff's Penske contact wasn't available for this build, so Jeff's costs ended up higher then he expected.

714guy
11-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Those 3 Arms for the rear, they allow for full adjustability. I saw it on Jeff's car at Autofest.

c55m8o
11-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Yep, I was about to correct myself ... I think the other set of camber arm look alikes are to replace the rear suspension lower link arm. The other "baby camber arms" are rear swaybar link arms.

c55m8o
11-12-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan
Wow......
yummy....
good quality components... :)
Regardz, I'm sure we'd all agree, the best actually... :cool:

Ashkan's C280
11-12-2005, 08:42 PM
so the babies ones are the rear end links?

Ashkan's C280
11-12-2005, 08:42 PM
and what about be the rear suspension lower link arm?

c55m8o
11-12-2005, 08:57 PM
what I posted reads "the other set of camber arm look alikes are to replace the rear suspension lower link arm. The other "baby camber arms" are rear swaybar link arms."

Ashkan's C280
11-12-2005, 09:04 PM
sorry let me rephrase what are rear suspension lower link arm? what do the stockies look like? and any chance you could get him to make a set of sways or struts? that would be everything he has....

c55m8o
11-12-2005, 09:20 PM
...I guess I'll find out once the rear tires come off ... [in other words "you're ask'n the wrong guy..." ;) ]. Crawl under your car like I just did so I could correct my previous post. You'll get a better picture looking @ it then me -- a neophite -- trying to describe it.

We talked about sway bars. He thinks my stockies will be adequate. Going to Delrin bushings on the sway bars goes a long long way to beefing up thier effectiveness.

Dunno what you mean about struts. But if you're going down the road of coil-overs, I've been told by my Jeff M. (the other Jeff, who swapped my motor) the suspension geometry/layout doesn't allows for it.

J Irwan
11-12-2005, 09:21 PM
LOL ... take a chill pill man - I'm sure it was meant tongue in cheek.

I thought the same thing; that I had an xtra set of camber arms. Shows you how much I know too, because I'm not sure if it is, or is to be used in another area of the suspension. I wasn't going to add them to the pix, but figured I'd just shoot everything I had; else Jeff might be ask'n "what happened to ..." ;)

Jeff replaces all 3 arm on each side...

But seeing you have 2, now you should be able to have more flexibility in adjusting camber and toe....

That's what those extra arm for.... you pretty much could order 2 set of camber arm for this purpose and the end off course would have to use different diamter of bolts, and there are some different diameter bolt for each year.

Thats why Jeff, have his camber arms with different end spacer .....for different year of W202 (I don't remember the detail of which is he cutoff year) as I remember giving the measurement of my OEM one.. ;)

And regarding the rear swaybar link, the OEM one is puny pastic and could flex under heaving cornering.

With this adjustable swaybar link, it could at least adjust the tension for the rear sway bar, so that they sway bar would be more efficient during cornering.

Regardz,

c55m8o
11-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Thanx much for that J.

c280nz
11-13-2005, 12:23 AM
Shit those shocks are trick :cool:

coolcarlskic43
11-13-2005, 03:24 AM
I'm truly jealous Steve! If I had your $$ I'd burn mine!LOL! I'd really love to get some of the sway bar and endlink stuff but this guy Jeff does not return PM's or emails!:(

c55m8o
11-13-2005, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by c280nz
Shit those shocks are trick :cool: oh man, tell me about it -- 6-click compression adjustment, 25-click rebound adjustment with the turn of a dial. very :cool: ... Plus Jeff spent a year or more dialing the valving in, working with his Penske guy; I don't know how many times he tried different ones, it but I think even more then once or twice is some serious dedication. He ended up with a dual digressive valving for both compression and rebound.

c55m8o
11-13-2005, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by coolcarlskic43
I'm truly jealous Steve! If I had your $$ I'd burn mine!LOL! I'd really love to get some of the sway bar and endlink stuff but this guy Jeff does not return PM's or emails!:( LoL -- ok, Mr. NextUpIsForcedInjection :D . That don't come cheap! ;) nah... the spending spree is over. Got a another mortgage to pay for now [forced savings ; think'n about retirement]; cut'n back on all normal monthy recurring living costs to help compensate.

c55m8o
11-13-2005, 11:17 AM
For any interested, follow this link (http://www.penskeshocks.co.uk/cardamper/2way.htm) for a short description of the shocks (this UK page is set up nicer then the US page).

Ashkan's C280
11-13-2005, 12:18 PM
...I guess I'll find out once the rear tires come off ... [in other words "you're ask'n the wrong guy..." ;) ]. Crawl under your car like I just did so I could correct my previous post. You'll get a better picture looking @ it then me -- a neophite -- trying to describe it.

We talked about sway bars. He thinks my stockies will be adequate. Going to Delrin bushings on the sway bars goes a long long way to beefing up thier effectiveness.

Dunno what you mean about struts. But if you're going down the road of coil-overs, I've been told by my Jeff M. (the other Jeff, who swapped my motor) the suspension geometry/layout doesn't allows for it.

by struts I meant this thread http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3232&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

I believe it can also be called a strut brace, if that helps? also I was wondering why he thought the sways were fine? He upgraded his, and since you were going for his suspension why not get the few extra things he did? Are the sways not much better than stockie? also did you replace the front lower control arm bushings to a polyurthane (sp)? if so does that help a great deal?

Abuimad
11-13-2005, 12:27 PM
renn we all apreciate the way you do things here

c55 im in love with ur car..u got the hottest engine..the best suspention, and the car looks clean......(hope u drive it like is intended to be driven
:D :D :D :D :D )
good luck installing them bro...

J Irwan
11-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
by struts I meant this thread http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3232&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

I believe it can also be called a strut brace, if that helps? also I was wondering why he thought the sways were fine? He upgraded his, and since you were going for his suspension why not get the few extra things he did? Are the sways not much better than stockie? also did you replace the front lower control arm bushings to a polyurthane (sp)? if so does that help a great deal?

That is called "stress bar" aka "strut brace"......

This component ususally use to bolt on the shock tower ro reduce chassis flex under heavy cornering.

Off couse the name strut brace is more appropriate to be used for car with actual front strut suspension.

And as far for polyurethane bushing ....please use imagination...
But I'll tell you this. Polyurethane bushing materials are harder and firmer than rubber bushing.

Regardz,

aruba
11-13-2005, 12:42 PM
i just want to say i envy youre suspension!! hope to see pics of the install!!

714guy
11-13-2005, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
also did you replace the front lower control arm bushings to a polyurthane (sp)? if so does that help a great deal?

I did and its awesome, handles real nice.

c55m8o
11-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Abuimad
renn we all apreciate the way you do things here

c55 im in love with ur car..u got the hottest engine..the best suspention, and the car looks clean......(hope u drive it like is intended to be driven
:D :D :D :D :D )
good luck installing them bro... ...have you seen the pix of my "other" mod to my car? ...to the rims specifically ... for them to get that way, you know that I do. ;) (see my gallery @ the link @ top, then click "other mods")

c280nz
11-14-2005, 12:16 AM
oh man, tell me about it -- 6-click compression adjustment, 25-click rebound adjustment with the turn of a dial. very :cool: ... Plus Jeff spent a year or more dialing the valving in, working with his Penske guy; I don't know how many times he tried different ones, it but I think even more then once or twice is some serious dedication. He ended up with a dual digressive valving for both compression and rebound.

Man thats some serious adjustment i think if i had it id just drive round all day trying out different settings on different corners, your gona hate fuel prices with how much your gona wana drive her ;) .

I cant wait 2 c the finished job! your car will pritty much have race car suspension, and drive like one!
we are gonna need to see some track videos as evidence :D
Congrats man, you prolly got one of the fastest cars round these parts now!

c55m8o
11-14-2005, 07:56 AM
If you've read Renn 208's article on speedybenz, you have it all already (xcept video)

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6948

After all, it's speedybenz's suspension we're talking about. Only, I won't profess to be able to drive like him... ;)

sorbo
11-14-2005, 10:08 AM
it would be a lot of work but if you got some numbers before and after the install it would be interesting to see the difference... skidpad, slalom, and a track time.

Metromoto202
11-14-2005, 10:36 AM
i just want to know how much for everything w/o the shocks, springs, and perches?... anybody... please?

Ashkan's C280
11-14-2005, 10:38 AM
so what would that be? rear camber arms, derlin bushings for front and rear, rear end links... and ?

c55m8o
11-14-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Metromoto202
i just want to know how much for everything w/o the shocks, springs, and perches?... anybody... please? Sorry, I bought a kit and didn't itemize. Jeff would have to quote you that.

speedybenz
11-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the nice comments about the suspension kit.

The 2nd set of "camber arms" are to be fitted to replace the lower rear suspension link that runs from near the bottom of the hub at a slight incline. It helps set the rear tires at the correct front to rear position, ie: they keep the wheelbase consistant, where as the stock pieces and the rubber allow the wheelbase to change under hard luanches and cornering.

Also these arms allow the alignment shop to get the car chassis square, so that all four tires are going in the same direction.

The cost for everything without the shocks? I don't know at the moment. I never really figured it out. But there is a lot of machine work to alter the spring perches to fit our Mercedes instead of some stock car sled with 5 inch springs. Plus you need to clamp the upper part of the spring perch to the lower part which rests below the stock control arm, to keep the perches very stable, as the upper spring seat swivles to keep the spring perpendicular to the chassis and thus eliminate any binding in the spring. This also allows the spring to move in a freeer way and so it allows the suspension to be more compliant to big and small bumps.

Steve, I may want you to try the 850 lb/in spring first in the front.

Anyhow I am glad you have the parts and look forwrd to working with you on the install.

Jeff

Metromoto202
11-14-2005, 07:20 PM
I kind'a thoght so, i just didn't want to bother jeff any more than i had to... any prices would help, thanks

c55m8o
11-15-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by speedybenz
Steve, I may want you to try the 850 lb/in spring first in the front.
Anyhow I am glad you have the parts and look forwrd to working with you on the install.
hehe ... not even on and making changes already... ;)

I was going to ask if summitracing.com @ $60ea is a good place to get them, but then realized they didn't have them in 2.5" as they did in 5.5". So where should I get them?

Can't wait.
Put another way ... have'n =trouble= wait'n!
:cheek:

I know you are swamped @ this time too. Do you think some sort of write-up on the shock setup [droop?] during installation is possible? Else perhaps I'll have to do my best impression of a courtroom stenographer, and try to keep up taking notes while you give me the description again. :crossid:

I'll talk to you later,
-steve

speedybenz
11-16-2005, 08:04 PM
Steve, If this weekend is not too late I will get you pictures and directions for the install.

Jeff

c55m8o
11-16-2005, 08:13 PM
It won't be too late at all.
Thanx much,
-steve
p.s. what vendor would you recommend that I purchse the springs from?

c55m8o
11-30-2005, 10:22 AM
Thought I'd give an update since I have some news... got a quote for under $1K to install the kit, corner balance and align the car. Car goes in Monday.

stay tuned...

also, this racing shop owner's Kleemann relationship went with this partner when they split ; but he's going to try to get a Klemann LSD for me to install that week too (tho this guy lost his dealership with kleemann, ironically, we was the tech for the shop and the one that would do the installs & machining and the one that knew Benz's )

c55m8o
12-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Update ... going to pick up the car in a few hours...

c55m8o
12-12-2005, 06:54 PM
...and....DONE!
:banana:

Getting a corner balance before alignment...
The car's settled since I left the shop ... it's tucked ... a lot.
Might actually have to have the car raised a 1/2 inch to an inch.
http://images12.fotki.com/v251/photos/2/296054/2953276/DSCN0028-vi.jpg

The rears... (the rear spring perch bolts have since been cut) You can see the camber arm, lower link arm, and swaybar link arm in this pik; with remote reservoir nicely tucked away but easily accessible.
http://images15.fotki.com/v245/photos/2/296054/2953276/DSCN0025-vi.jpg
http://images14.fotki.com/v258/photos/2/296054/2953276/DSCN0024-vi.jpg

If the installer had pix of the completed front on his memory card, I didn't find it, so I'll have to take some myself. (I have pix of the front with the wrong [rear] springs installed the 1st time around, but no reason to post those... ;)) 'Till then, puttting in the adjustable spring perch in the front:
http://images14.fotki.com/v256/photos/2/296054/2953276/DSCN0011-vi.jpg

With springs and Delrin Bushings:
http://images14.fotki.com/v247/photos/2/296054/2953276/DSCN0012-vi.jpg

< All 50 Shop Pix HERE > (http://public.fotki.com/m8o/kar_krazy/shop_pix/).

Z06 Killer
12-12-2005, 11:38 PM
Your post looks great. The parts are impressive. However, Iordered rear camber links for my 01' CLK55 rom Jeff over a month ago, paid by PAY PAL.

After several emails on various sites, I finally got one return email from Jeff last week promising delivery of thr order "in a few days."

I asked for a phone number or a return call, but no reply.

Starting to feel REALLY ripped off here.!!!!!!!

Anyone else have this experience???? WHAT A BUZZ KILL!

Ashkan's C280
12-13-2005, 03:03 AM
it took a while for me to get mine so no worries, i was upset like you when i got my statement before i got my parts but it will come, i highly doubt you would be scammed, I suppose its either waiting on parts, being shipped out, or just prior to one of these steps, and if by chance jeff you read this send me an email back about price totals so I can send you money for other things....

Ashkan's C280
12-13-2005, 03:05 AM
forgot to say nicely done, have you had a chance to take the car out for a spin yet? moreover, what is the next item on the plan for you? Or is this all for a while, were you considering any other suspension upgrades from jeff? sway bars? poly bushings? strut braces? how does the ride compare to stock amg ride, and I was wondering if the shocks and everything that can be tune, can it be tuned from inside the car or do you have to lift up the car to tune it?

c55m8o
12-13-2005, 09:44 AM
I'll give driving impressions when I have more time tonight after work. till then, just thought I'd share the "new look".

RE: ... it's tucked ... a lot
Low rez pic taken w/a co-worker's Razor phone, then post processed heavily to increase shadow detail:
http://images14.fotki.com/v256/photos/2/296054/2857673/121305_0930adjusted-vi.jpg
Sadly, gunna have to raise it.

Renn 208
12-13-2005, 09:58 AM

Sadly, gunna have to raise it.

Not that that's going to take you (or your shop) all that much time to do;)

Abuimad
12-13-2005, 10:10 AM
daaamn thats HOT, the height is just perfect..actualy the whole damn car is perfect ;) :D

speedybenz
12-13-2005, 11:39 AM
Ya he can raise the car in about 10mins if he is going slow. A 36mm wrench or cahnnel locks and a 19mm socket will do the job. The 1st to loosen the lock nut and the 19mm to raise the car.

Steve, I am sure it is a little stiff right now, the socks will soften up a little with use and so will the springs. You may want to adjust the rebound at the bottom of the shocks, say turn the know clockwise some 6 to 8 clicks to soften the car up a little.

Talk to you soon. Jeff

c55m8o
12-13-2005, 11:55 AM
Hey there. glad you jumped in.

actually, no. I'm loving it. Very solid, almost "compliant" ride.

And amazingly, all the squeeks and creeks I'd been hearing the last few months that I thought were from the body and interior getting "loose" over time, and I'd just had to live with an aging car... GONE! They were all suspension related. Sure, there are some new unique and unusual sounds of the actual suspension with its steel bushings in places ; but no more squeeky harmonics developed from the road while driving @ say 30mph or other. I'll write some "driver's thoughts" tonight.

I will call you though, because the car is tending to oversteer in hi-G turns, and I know that yours doesn't. I have the alignment data and want to pass it by you. I'll be going back to TKX Performance in a few 100 miles to have all the bolts checked, and will both raise and re-align the car then too. ...and a bunch of other things regarding the setup. (car's not level now but is corner balanced ... not love'n that ... plus more).

speedybenz
12-13-2005, 11:59 AM
Steve,

Take some 4 to 6 clicks of rebound out of the front and say 10 clicks out of the rear. Also lower your rear tire pressure down to 34 psi to see if you pick up some balance with that also.

Jeff

c55m8o
12-13-2005, 12:02 PM
Steve,

Take some 4 to 6 clicks of rebound out of the front and say 10 clicks out of the rear. Also lower your rear tire pressure down to 34 psi to see if you pick up some balance with that also.

Jeff

Will do. BTW, currently @ 2 clicks compression, 15 clicks rebound.

Was worried about the bendage factor on the rims, so was keeping them high. Will lower tho. Isn't very 10 degrees 1psi? Hm, wonder if I'm down there @ 34 already... ;)

speedybenz
12-13-2005, 12:22 PM
If you are still getting oversteer then try increasing the rebound in the front back up to say 10 clicks from full stiff.

Is the car pretty flat in the corners and turning in well? You may need to go to a softer spring in the rear to get the rear tires a little more hooked up. Say down to 500 lb per inch.

Jeff

c55m8o
12-13-2005, 12:44 PM
If you are still getting oversteer then try increasing the rebound in the front back up to say 10 clicks from full stiff.

Is the car pretty flat in the corners and turning in well? You may need to go to a softer spring in the rear to get the rear tires a little more hooked up. Say down to 500 lb per inch.

Jeff Turn in is incredibly good. I think lean is about as flat as yours was too.

Regarding turn-in ... I actually have to pull out of a turn when turning the wheel as I'd usually do on turns I know with my eyes closed. I don't ever turn into a turn "early" so that I won't cross over the lines, as a rule. So I have a habit of turning at a point others would consider 'late" (those others being, those people who are always going over the yellow line on left turns and running me off the road when they're coming at me). So with that mode of driving, and turning the wheel the amount I usually would with the old suspension, the car reacts so quickly w/o understeer, that I'm almost crossing the yellow line because I'm "overturning" ... so have to back off the steering a little. ... so ya, it's turning-in well.... ;)

c55m8o
12-13-2005, 12:46 PM

IGNORE: ...I'm sorry I don't have this memorized yet ... is "taking out" clockwise or counter-clockwise?

EDIT: Sorry, you posted it above: "You may want to adjust the rebound at the bottom of the shocks, say turn the knob clockwise some 6 to 8 clicks to soften the car up a little."

-steve

c55m8o
12-13-2005, 12:56 PM
Ya he can raise the car in about 10mins if he is going slow. Doing the rears are going to be real hard until I or the shop either grinds in a new bolt or welds a nut to the rod. ;) They cut off about 3 inches off the shaft so I lost the turning point ... it was hanging =real= low; well below the exhaust and other suspension components.

c55m8o
12-13-2005, 12:59 PM
BTW, Jeff, do you know if the W208 suspension geometry is "the same enough" that this complete kit could be used on one of them? Chappy was asking on mbworld.org.

Renn 208
12-13-2005, 01:02 PM
BTW, Jeff, do you know if the W208 suspension geometry is "the same enough" that this complete kit could be used on one of them? Chappy was asking on mbworld.org.

yes

c55m8o
12-13-2005, 01:04 PM
EDIT: Sorry, you posted it above: "You may want to adjust the rebound at the bottom of the shocks, say turn the knob clockwise some 6 to 8 clicks to soften the car up a little."
I just realized something even with that though Jeff ... Clockwise depends on orientation ... looking from top down or bottom up changes the direction of "Clockwise". Is softer turning in the direction of the "-" or the "+" ? I would assume the former but thought I'd sound stupid (which I am) and ask. (perhaps I should just d/l a copy of the Pensky 8000 series Manual for the shocks to have here @ work too... :o )

c55m8o
12-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Renn 208
Not that that's going to take you (or your shop) all that much time to do;) Renn, thanx for the "yes". oh, forgot to say ... but if I change height now, it'll void the corner balance (I assume); loss of flexibility is the downside of corner balancing, if I don't have my own scales. So I didn't want to do that just yet. I figure I'll have it done @ the shop again as the suspension is settled now, and decide then if I want to go with a "corner balanced" setup, or "level look" setup. (right rear is the highest, and the spring had to be unloaded the most to bring more weight to it ... if I understood why that was done, correctly)

Renn 208
12-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Renn, thanx for the "yes". oh, forgot to say ... but if I change height now, it'll void the corner balance (I assume); loss of flexibility is the downside of corner balancing, if I don't have my own scales.

Someone correct me if my understanding's off, but if you raise all your corners by the same amount, you car should still be balanced?

BTW, out of curiosity, how many sacks of rice were sitting in the driver's seat when they corner balanced your car? Also, did you strip out most of the ancilliaries (spare tire, jack, trunk liner, etc.) when doing it or was it done "all in"?

c55m8o
12-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Someone correct me if my understanding's off, but if you raise all your corners by the same amount, you car should still be balanced? I don't really know. My thinking is, as you raise the car, the springs get "unloaded". That loading and unloading, with the angle of the car, affects balance. As none of the springs are 100% equally loaded, unloading them or loading them, affects the corner balance in a linear, but non-proportionally equivalent way. ...but since the car settled about an inch, didn't that "blow-out" the corner balance anyway (I ask myself).

BTW, out of curiosity, how many sacks of rice were sitting in the driver's seat when they corner balanced your car? Also, did you strip out most of the ancilliaries (spare tire, jack, trunk liner, etc.) when doing it or was it done "all in"?
...212 lbs worth of sand (not rice :P) were placed in the driver's seat (and I assume, some in front of the seat for the weight of my legs and arms that streatch toward the steering wheel). No, I didn't strip anything out because i was looking to balance it for my use on the road, while driving it alone (not "allowed" to drive with the wifie in the car as I do when I'm alone). What I didn't expect was how unlevel the car would be from that.

Renn 208
12-13-2005, 02:04 PM
sigh, we're both a far cry from the sub 140lb freakos they call F1 drivers these days...:p

c55m8o
12-13-2005, 07:05 PM
Well I said I'd post driving impressions tonight after work, though as you can see, I already got well into it before this... So what haven't I covered. ...?

* I was surprised by just how solid it makes the car feel; coupled with the new motor mounts during the swap, you'd never know it's an 8 year old car with +70K on the chassis.

* It's the complete antithisis to what I've read so many times, with people complaining about how "hard" a ride they get from their lowering springs and sport shock. You would =never= know it's 800lb springs up front and 600lbs in the rear, and full racing shocks ; I think we've [most] all mistakenly come to think that racing and non-compliant go hand in hand. Well I'll tell you 1st hand, they do not. There are some times when a bump is of a category where it's more "abrupt" then stock AMG was ... but it's also enveloped [dampened] in such a controlled way that it's not harsh or annoying ; just different then you're used to. But other then that, the majority of the road conditions encountered have actually felt =softer= with this setup then the stock AMG setup.

* I've already covered the speed of turn-in, so won't spend more time on that ... just know, it feels so good. And after years of driving with understeer, I have some learned behaviour to un-learn.

* Hi speed (well, @ 70 - 80mph in these cars, maybe I should say "mid-speed" :p ) control is outstanding. There's this one stretch of road I've come to expect my car to be "bounced" during a long right turn when I'm in the right lane; I used to really have to hold the steering wheel tight and make quick minor adjustments so the car didn't become "unsettled". Well today, I'm driving that stretch, and the dips and peaks that make the bounces just didn't materialize. I'm like, "what the... " I could just drive ... and smile.

* I didn't realize that I'd come to think a 4-wheel drift coupled with some front wheel plow around turns that have an up then down grade elevation change over about 200 feet, was just normal; that if I didn't get set up for the right line on the turn early, the whole thing would be shot. Imagine my surprise when I realize the nose of the car is now actually urging me into the turn, instead of fighting against it. Plow and drift are a thing of the past.

Fact that the setup still needs to be sorted out is just a minor technicality. Sure, I feel like it's a Camaro if I'm near the limit of adhesion of the tires (keeping in mind, which is low in the freezing weather) and I give it gas too soon or hard, which isn't hard (don't forget the torque of the 5.4L is @ work) and the tail wags out, but the ASR (or is it ESP) quickly jumps in to shut-down the fun ... that'll get sorted out ; and it's just so kewl it =can= be sorted out with the turn of some dials and maybe height adjustments.

... this suspension is the perfect compliment to the motor upgrade, making me content in my decision to mod this car instead of giving up on it and getting a CTS-v or S4 or Magnum or etc... Content! (regardless if my wife doesn't believe me, or doesn't think it'll last... :p ...it will.)

Renn 208
12-13-2005, 07:13 PM

* It's the complete antithisis to what I've read so many times, with people complaining about how "hard" a ride they get from their lowering springs and sport shock.

YES! Absolutely...that was my greatest shock when riding with Jeff. Just goes to show how much reality and conventional wisdom can be separated by an abyss. Or in this case, a really well thought out set of dampers.

c55m8o
12-14-2005, 06:42 AM
Jeff, yesterday you asked me if the car felt 500 lbs lighter ... and I thought about that and said "no" as my thinking was limited to "off the line", and I already have that 5.4L making it feel lighter.

But I will correct that after driving a great country road today that I sometimes drive to work. It's a back-road road that goes along the LI Sound with hardly an address on it, and parks or other undeveloped land for miles and miles both left and right. Nothing like the road you took me on, but decent all the same. Not too twisty, but somewhat turny. And it's a bumpy road.

With the stock suspension, when I felt daring, I'd take it to 60mph or 70mph ... but I say "daring" because the irregularities in the road surface, grading of the road and road's crown are so extreme, you're being jostled all over. Well today, I'm on that road @ 50mph, and the car's just going straight with hardly and jostling. So I juice the big motor and am at 70mph in a moment w/o any drama ... and still hardly a lift of the car left or right, let alone uncomfortable jostling.

...woa... it just keeps getting better! :banana:

BTW, I kinda think I might bend rims less with this setup, as bump response sure seems a lot quicker and compliant then the stock AMG.

speedybenz
12-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Aren't really good shocks great. I know it doesn't seem right, because if you try to push the car down on a corner it will not move. I think you are more likely to bend the sheet metal before the car moved on the springs. But yet when you drive the car it just takes up the bumps and keeps the chassis still and is much more controllable.

When we get it dailed in you will like it even more.

Jeff

c55m8o
12-14-2005, 01:15 PM
BTW, Jeff (or anyone who knows). Are the camber arms suitable for use on a W210? Someone was asking me.
-thanx

speedybenz
12-14-2005, 08:53 PM
Yes the Camber Arms will fit W210 and W211. I have made some 30 Camber Arm kits for W210's.

I just ned to know what yearand engine size.

Thanks Steve,

Jeff

Jbizzyc43
02-03-2006, 09:58 AM
i met up w/ jeff a couple years back and bought some rear camber arms for my c43, which worked out very nicely. Now, my front tires are shot. Has he made any simple front camber arms for the front of the C43? Please let me know. Thanks for the help. If he has any, I'd like to get them on my car before I put on some new rubber. I got 19's on the car and tires are pricey.

c55m8o
02-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Nope, Camber in the front isn't adjustable via a link arm on these cars. All you can do is buy the Camber Bolt Kits from the MB dealership (like $15 or $20) to give you a tiny bit more adjustability on the bottom arm; get two and replace both bolts for slightly more adjustability. (I'm doing that on my problem right front)

steve s
04-26-2007, 12:28 AM
sorry for bringing up an old thread, but was just wondering if anyone using this kit has issues with the rod ends/heim joints. (like becoming loose or worn)

speedybenz
04-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Steve,

The rod ends do wear, but they do so very slowly. In the last couple of years I have only had a request for 1 set of rod ends by a member of this board.

But the rod ends bearings like all bearings will wear out at some time.

If you are getting some noise in the back check to make sure your shock bolts are tight and that the upper nut and washer have not compressed the rubber shock bushing to the point where the large washer is hiting the bushing cup over bumps. It makes a rattling noise.

Also the rear subframe bushings if worn out will to the same thing.

Be sure to check the rear swaybar bolts and make sure they are tight too.

Jeff

c55m8o
04-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Jeff? Is that you???! ...lol ;) Thanx for the valuable info.

I've been away a long time myself; the whole fall & winter actually (needed to go cold turkey from automotive message boards to break the habit). Now that I want to start driving the C43 again, I need to give you a call about some things. I'll talk to you in a few days hoping.

-steve

steve s
05-03-2007, 02:13 PM
thanks jeff.

no this is for my wagon, the rod ends on my swaybar end-links look very similar to those on the adjustable links on the pics you posted. something in the suspension's developed noise after a track day, i have yet to get back under the car. but previous track day i broke the end-link at the rod ends (different type, which, btw, no front sway bar makes for a fun day at the track hahahaha). just wondering about the wear on those beefier rod ends.