PDA

View Full Version : shift knob removal

00kompressor
07-13-2003, 05:23 PM
anyone know how to remove the shift knob?

Renn 208
07-13-2003, 06:35 PM
This is a job for...East Coast Paul and nokia!

JRE320
07-13-2003, 06:37 PM
JOEY!!!!!!! instruction for a shift knob removal.... :p :D I still remember my 1st post on Benzsport asking the same question.. :p :D ;) :cool:

Koolvin
07-14-2003, 11:51 AM
twist the plastic black collar to the left by 90 degrees (it will go) then pull up!

mis-u-jerr
07-31-2003, 03:19 PM
This is so funny! I just got my wood shifter today! I know it needed a 1/4 turn to the left and pull, but when I did it, nothing happened. I don't feel a detent or anything.
Didn't strip it did I? :rolleyes: I know it comes off cuz Scorchie showed me how before. I am so lame... I guess some people are just destined not to mod:dispoint:

JRE320
07-31-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by mis-u-jerr
This is so funny! I just got my wood shifter today! I know it needed a 1/4 turn to the left and pull, but when I did it, nothing happened. I don't feel a detent or anything.
Didn't strip it did I? :rolleyes: I know it comes off cuz Scorchie showed me how before. I am so lame... I guess some people are just destined not to mod:dispoint:

There is like a ring right beneath the knob. Hold that ring down and twist it.

00kompressor
07-31-2003, 08:29 PM
does jerry have shift knobs in stock? last time i checked they were on order. :cool:

slk320
08-01-2003, 01:18 PM
Jerry has most styles in stock. If not he orders them pretty quick (I got mine that was backordered in 7 days)

mis-u-jerr
08-01-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by 00kompressor
does jerry have shift knobs in stock? last time i checked they were on order. :cool:

He was out of stock on the one I got, took about 3.5 weeks for it to come.

benzin190
08-01-2003, 04:00 PM
So to get the shift knob off you hold the black plastic piece and twist the knob to the left. My friend twisted the entire piece and now the shift knob is loose (ie twists about 15 degrees each way easily) any way to fix this? I thought i'd take if off and see if i can glue it or something. Thanks!

benzin190
08-02-2003, 01:01 PM
k sorry, i guess i can't read twist the black piece to the left! Thanks guys

Kühl Carbon
08-07-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Renn 208
This is a job for...East Coast Paul and nokia!

Haha, a meeting of the knobs .... seems several of us met this way :p . I really think they need to put this info in the owners manual :bunny: .

Find collar at bottom of knob. Quarter turn counter-clockwise. Pull up on entire knob .... firmly if nesecary. Becareful not to bust yourself in the face. It is embarassing to explain to ppl at work the next day that your car beat you up :D .

moedigga
08-07-2003, 12:21 PM
I just installed my new shifter in abot 32 seconds that easy!! Got the polished metel with AMG old school badge embedded in it looks smooooothh. Autorice came through!!!-MOE

mis-u-jerr
08-07-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Kühl Carbon
Becareful not to bust yourself in the face. :D .
LOL! Yeah, mine was tough to pull off. But it's on there now and looks sweeeeet.

Originally posted by moedigga
AMG old school badge embedded in it looks smooooothh.
Ya mean with one with the tree and cams? I wanted to get that one too, damn...
Well, nothing more old skool than wood :p

moedigga
08-08-2003, 06:32 AM
The one with the tree and cams.-MOE

nokia8860
08-08-2003, 07:16 AM
Haha, a meeting of the knobs .... seems several of us met this way :p . I really think they need to put this info in the owners manual :bunny: .

Find collar at bottom of knob. Quarter turn counter-clockwise. Pull up on entire knob .... firmly if nesecary. Becareful not to bust yourself in the face. It is embarassing to explain to ppl at work the next day that your car beat you up :D .

I think I told you at one point I was gonna give up and just hack it off! hahaha

alboogiee
01-09-2005, 04:11 PM
thanks for the info... i twisted mine... and it would move but not come off... thought i broke it OH SHHHHTTTT...!

alboogiee
01-09-2005, 05:04 PM
i take that back... i did break it!! it wouldnt come off so i got sooo frustrated w/ it that i broke it... it would turn little bit left/right and i tried to pull it up, but didnt move, i mean i REALLY tried! so i phuck it, its stock knob so i busted out the pliars and off she came, bottom collar and all... hope i dont need that for the new one... lol

ja2k
01-09-2005, 05:24 PM

Is this procedure the same with all the years? Thanks

r0csfinest
01-20-2005, 10:28 PM
Where yall buying the knobs from?

jnolte
01-20-2005, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by ja2k
Is this procedure the same with all the years? Thanks

yes..

!!!!!NJ Drive
01-21-2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by r0csfinest
Where yall buying the knobs from? i would like to know to...mines looking a little worn

JRE320
01-21-2005, 06:31 PM
You can find it any where. Ebay, mymercedes.com etc..etc..etc... ;)

martattack
01-21-2005, 06:44 PM
I have a 94 and there is no locking ring on the bottom of it. Is there a way to get an updated shift knob with the capability to remove it?

NW_Merc
10-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by BoominBenz
I have a 94 and there is no locking ring on the bottom of it. Is there a way to get an updated shift knob with the capability to remove it?

Yes but you have to change the shift rod. If you get a shift mechanism from a breaker off a later model such as a '95, all you need to do is take apart your centre console so you have access to your shifter, at the front just beneath where you have the shift rod, switch and P, N, D and all that is a small clip which you push in and the whole thing should be able to be pulled up.

The shifter is attached to the gears by a pin which you need to carefully take out.