PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever pop an M111?

VIP_MBZ
11-17-2005, 03:06 PM
Just wondering if anyone has ever blown up their M111 SUPERCHARGED 2.3L. Kind of curious how far it can go in terms of boost and air flow before things give up. Is the block cast iron? Is the head gasket steel? Etc...

I'd hate to find out the hard way if someone has already done it.

-Ray

coolin
11-17-2005, 03:24 PM
The parts desk manager at MB told me he had never ordered an M111 for replacement in 5 years.

I'm not sure I believe him, but that's what he said.

VIP_MBZ
11-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Well, it seems like the Kleemannites have no problem forcing nearly 1 bar into the motor daily driven. I wonder how the motor would handle the stress of 10 psi through a larger compressor (I have an extra HKS GT3037S lying around and a manifold fabricator that owes me a favor). Definitely less internal air pressure, but more air volume overall.

This would of course be mated to an intercooler and fuel upgrade.

I wonder if I'd have to worry about the trans before I'd have to worry about the motor.

-Ray

coolin
11-17-2005, 08:02 PM
I checked out Kleeman and Brabus a long time ago. Neither had a big hp upgrade for the W202 C230K. I took that as a bad omen for boosting.

I'd like to supercharge my fiance's Type SH Prelude. It really sucks not having any torque to speak of between 2,500 and 5,000 rpm.

VIP_MBZ
11-18-2005, 12:01 AM
Well, a fellow board member was running and daily driving in the neighborhood of 13 psi and along with ECU tuning and open exhaust made something like 230 rwhp. That's right around where a G35 Sports Coupe would weigh in. Not bad, in my book. Just wondering if that's the limit, or if the M111 can still be pushed further.

-Ray

Ashkan's C280
11-18-2005, 01:02 AM
this would be on all stock internals? Are all internals for w202 non-amgs the same?

VIP_MBZ
11-18-2005, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
this would be on all stock internals? Are all internals for w202 non-amgs the same?

Yes, stock internals would be key, in order to make it cost effective at all.

I can't speak for all of the different motors available for the W202, but setupwise, the supercharged M111 already has an intercooler, lower static compression, and an ECU mapped for boost. It's probably safe to assume it has oil squirters to cool the pistons. If you were going to turbo any of them without doing any internal mods, this would be the one to do it with.

-Ray

alphanumeric
11-18-2005, 07:04 PM
i agree with VIP.. the only thing I would worry about first is the trans.

Pagz
11-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Hmmm as far as i know the engine is cast Iron and does have oil jets cooling the pistons...,i saw JasonH's web page,it says he installed them from a 230K on his 220,i also beleive as VIP does the 230K is the best choice out of all the 202's to turbo due to its setup...

Im not sure about the trans's integrity,but i say dont upgrade it until your sure it needs it....

as for how far you could push the engine may well be limited mostly by the ECU,...after talking with ernest jones(the speedwerx 230K coupe owner),it was obvious they had alot of trouble getting 267HP at the wheels with alot of tricks on the ECU,and the new owner has had a hard time too...

It would be great if you get that turbo on!,then you could tell me
how far you can push pressure before ecu/fuel work...
Ernest indicated around 7-9 psi will be the limit depending on turbo/IC system efficency without ECU/fuel changes,he ran a GT35 t3/t4 with a custom turbine housing which i guess was tiny,because it made full boost by 2900 or so he said.
the GT35 compressor seems way to big?!!??!!??!

also i never got to ask what happens when you remove the bypass...does the engine light come on,and if so how to remove it??

Im about to buy a GT28RS...as its maps match the flow on our engine and it meets my 300 target,it almost sounds small after you mentioned your HKS GT30:D

SLAMMED_C
11-27-2005, 03:51 PM
Im not sure how much boost the stock block of the M111 kompressor motor can take.. Id like to know that myself!!
Im running about 11-12 psi on my M111 kompressor W202. Im pretty sure thats the max you can be running with the stock supercharger, the stock Eaton charger is actually overspinning slighly when running the 11psi (well so Kleemann tells me)
so the only realy way to go is with an aftermarket supercharger to increase boost higher.. or a custom turbo. either way it still doesnt give us any indication of how much boost the block will handle.. Id say 14psi no problems.. 15psi may be getting into some trouble... and anything above that.
but Im still curious to know the max boost the block will handle.