PDA

View Full Version : possible easy HP for the kompressor

Pagz
11-19-2005, 01:03 PM
Just thought id share my findings with all the 230K modders...

The other day i decided to pop of the TB for a general check,and to decide weather or not to replace the tight bend above it with a free flow design...

After i removed th TB, i noticed a stainless filter located under it,alittle odd?,given the Mass already has a finer mesh filter before the TB....so maybe its there to stop things falling in after you remove the top bend?...im not sure...,Anyhow...it posses quit a restriction given it decreases the bore size with its design.
so i removed the mesh from the rubber and reused the O-ring to seal again...

I havent decided to replace the bend yet,so i ported it and smoothed out the inside....

after putting it all back together,my new pressure gauge reads almost 1psi more through the mid range,and definatly over in the last 2000RPM...

Im not sure how much you can gain from this,but im sure it helps
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_98_full.jpg

Rgrds,
Paul

Ashkan's C280
11-19-2005, 09:18 PM
your car is insane man, really very nice, nice find too

alboogiee
11-19-2005, 10:06 PM
you have too much time on your hands... :D

i barely have time to wash my car...

c280nz
11-20-2005, 12:52 AM
^ what he said,
But i love your dedication :)

rollinrealbig
11-20-2005, 08:36 AM
yea , your car is siCc!!

do you think this will work if i try it on my C230 non-komp. ?

it begs for a turbo, but im still looking for a manifold.

Pagz
11-20-2005, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by alboogiee
you have too much time on your hands... :D

i barely have time to wash my car...

^ what he said,but i love your dedication :)

My gurl left for the weekend,left me no choice but to play with the car:D

Pagz
11-20-2005, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by rollinrealbig
yea , your car is siCc!!

do you think this will work if i try it on my C230 non-komp. ?

it begs for a turbo, but im still looking for a manifold.

Hi,thanks...welcome to the club...
after reading through the haynes manual last night i noticed all the N/A models have the filter...so i guess removing yours will have a similar benifit!,but if your after an upgrade you can really notice you will need to get that turbo manifold custom made as there are none avaliable for the m111!

rollinrealbig
11-20-2005, 09:32 AM
ok, so what the filter looks like ?

i want to know what im lookin for before i start ripping stuff off my engine,

did you also do porting ?

rollinrealbig
11-20-2005, 10:23 AM
stupid question but ... whats "TB" ?

are you talking about the intake manifold ?

alboogiee
11-20-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by 23K
My gurl left for the weekend,left me no choice but to play with the car:D

my wife left for the weekend, left me the kid...

Pagz
11-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by alboogiee
my wife left for the weekend, left me the kid...

LOL owned...

Pagz
11-20-2005, 11:03 AM
stupid question but ... whats "TB" ?

are you talking about the intake manifold ?

your close!...its the Throttle Body...

Pagz
11-20-2005, 11:12 AM
ok, so what the filter looks like ?

i want to know what im lookin for before i start ripping stuff off my engine,

did you also do porting ?

the filter is located under the TB,if you do end up removing it you will need to remove the rubber from the filter or buy a similar o-ring to replace it...

I didnt port the intake side of the TB,only the sharp cast alloy bend found on the 230K model...i believe yours is plastic?,or do you have the model with the alloy intake runners???

rollinrealbig
11-20-2005, 01:57 PM
TB = Throttle Body, now why did i ask again (damn i feel stupid) LoL

ok, yea my intake is the plastic version, is it ok to port those ? should be easy,

yea the O-rings you are talking about - i got millions of green ones, all diff. sizes and stuff, so its not a problem!

I have a few more questions, first - when you took off the stock air flow pipe (plastic one) what happen to the air flow meter ?

another question, have u thought about bigger fuel injectors ? like larger CC's ? if you did this, i want to know which ones will fit my car and what the advantages and disadvanteges of that.

ok, i looked at my manifolds, where would the turbo go ? like the twin-turbo had three outlets ports going into each turbo, but i have 4 outlets ports and how would i make them all go into one turbo ? - im thinkin if i can put the turbo lower twards the down pipe, like after all the out ports have combined into one.

Pagz
11-20-2005, 03:18 PM
OK,you have the older intake version,im not sure if you even have the filter?!!?!
I dont recommed you port the plastic intake,as it is already smooth and thin walled

Im not sure about the injectors,do a search....there were quit a few threads on that a while ago...

check garretts page(the link i gave you on the other thread)for all the infor on turbo configuration and manifold design etc...it should answer all your Q's...

rollinrealbig
11-20-2005, 03:23 PM
yea there was a screen, and no i didnt try to port it, screw that idea,

when i pulled off the TB, i noticed that my filter screen was kinda clogged up on the sides, another thing, i didnt have an O-ring that size either,

so what i did was i pulled off the screen and just reused that same O-ring, just the screen was pulled out, then cleaned the O-ring, put some copper spray on it (dont kno if that helps) and put it back together, i kant really say there was a differance because i didnt drive the car yet,

but i did get a picture of what 23K was talkin about and whenever somebody explains how to post pictures, ill post it.

Pagz
11-20-2005, 03:32 PM
Great,im not sure if its the kind of gain you'll feel,but i know its there...

Yip,i did the same thing,just removed the mesh for the o-ring....

hmmm so maybe yours isnt the older style...does the TB face upwards??

to post a pic you will need a site like cardomain to host the pic for you,then copy the link from the picture on the site and use the IMG button on this site to insert the link and you should end up with a pic...

rollinrealbig
11-20-2005, 04:04 PM
i dont kno if its the new model or older one,

but as far as i know its one of the earlt 97' models, still has the old bumpers.

yea, so again, when you put the cold air intake pipe on, what did you do with the flow meter ?

when i took it off -
http://myspace-065.vo.llnwd.net/00319/56/05/319665065_l.jpg

before assembly -
http://myspace-580.vo.llnwd.net/00319/08/55/319665580_l.jpg

Pagz
11-20-2005, 04:22 PM
nice clear pics...
you have the same style intake manifold as the kompressors...
looks like it all needs a cleanup:)

leave the flow meter(MAS) where it is and run the piping from there...

An effective way to attain cool air would be to run piping from the MAS straight down to a filter located in your front gaurd(as long as you dont have big puddles over there)
or use the stock air box and install a duct from the front gaurd/bumper to feed it more air...

Pagz
11-20-2005, 04:28 PM

when i pulled off the TB, i noticed that my filter screen was kinda clogged up on the sides

mine was the same,quit restrictive,even after i cleaned it!

rollinrealbig
11-20-2005, 04:29 PM
yea thats what im planing to do,

yea my car is really dirty, well the story is - it just turned 50,000 miles, basically its new for its age.

i dont have a lisence yet, im 15, so im trying to tune it up as much as i can before i hit the streets, but i still do every once in a while.

SLAMMED_C
11-27-2005, 04:04 PM
Hmmmmmmmm... I may have to try this!!!

rollinrealbig
11-27-2005, 04:21 PM
yea it only takes one flat head, an allen wrech and 5 minutes of your time.

u really have nothing to lose. :)

Pagz
11-27-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
Hmmmmmmmm... I may have to try this!!!

hmmm you been away somwhere?,im alittle behide on the reply;)...

hey where did you take your oil press from??,im just installing my new defi display along with the fuel press,oil press oil temp and water temp sensors...

SLAMMED_C
11-27-2005, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by 23K
hmmm you been away somwhere?,im alittle behide on the reply;)...

hey where did you take your oil press from??,im just installing my new defi display along with the fuel press,oil press oil temp and water temp sensors...
nope.. Ive been around. just havent posted much lately.. I was wondering where you had got too!..

I had a look at your car domain site today.. I love the Defi gauge you have.. really nice looking gauge... and the brain or whatever it is you put in the arm rest looks nice too.. makes me wanna swap out my autometers for the Defi ones!!
as for oil where I got my oil pressure from.. I havent actually hooked up the gauge at all. I still need to mount the sensoe on the engine to give the gauge its signal.
as for where to get the feed from.. I was just gonna drill a hole in the oil filter housing for a pressure reading.. I know its not the best location.. but I cant find anywhere else on the block to tap into..
maybe someone else has an idea?

Pagz
11-27-2005, 05:21 PM
nope.. Ive been around. just havent posted much lately.. I was wondering where you had got too!..

I had a look at your car domain site today.. I love the Defi gauge you have.. really nice looking gauge... and the brain or whatever it is you put in the arm rest looks nice too.. makes me wanna swap out my autometers for the Defi ones!!
as for oil where I got my oil pressure from.. I havent actually hooked up the gauge at all. I still need to mount the sensoe on the engine to give the gauge its signal.
as for where to get the feed from.. I was just gonna drill a hole in the oil filter housing for a pressure reading.. I know its not the best location.. but I cant find anywhere else on the block to tap into..
maybe someone else has an idea?

yeh man been busy,but will have time this week to catahup for sure!:cool:....

hey thanks,there a nice gauge!,im mounting the display behind the steering wheel tonight,will post em when done...
also the new Apexi boost controller i installed in the ash tray looks great when aluminated!!

Hmmmm had a funny feeling you hadnt hooked it up lol,as i couldnt find anywhere but the oil filter cap to mount it into either!!!,i also need to mount oil temp as well...
i may have to tap into the alloy somewhere...but that means alloy shaving may enter the engine when drilling....

SLAMMED_C
11-27-2005, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by 23K
yeh man been busy,but will have time this week to catahup for sure!:cool:....
hey thanks,there a nice gauge!,im mounting the display behind the steering wheel tonight,will post em when done...
also the new Apexi boost controller i installed in the ash tray looks great when aluminated!!
Hmmmm had a funny feeling you hadnt hooked it up lol,as i couldnt find anywhere but the oil filter cap to mount it into either!!!,i also need to mount oil temp as well...
i may have to tap into the alloy somewhere...but that means alloy shaving may enter the engine when drilling....
your mounting what display behind the steering wheel? it also has a screen that displays info?
yeh post em up on your site man.. I wanna see!
yeh I saw the apexi boost controller too.. nice job of installing it.. really cool spot in the ashtray. hides away nice and stealth!! just need the turbo to go with it now!!
I had thought about tapping into the block somewhere.. but Im not gonna be drilling into my block if I can help it.. Im affraid of the same thing you are too.. dont need no shavings going into the block! the best spot I think is the oil filter housing for an oil feed.. as for oil temp.. Id say the same spot. just easier really.. and safer.

Pagz
11-28-2005, 10:29 AM
your mounting what display behind the steering wheel? it also has a screen that displays info?
yeh post em up on your site man.. I wanna see!
yeh I saw the apexi boost controller too.. nice job of installing it.. really cool spot in the ashtray. hides away nice and stealth!! just need the turbo to go with it now!!
I had thought about tapping into the block somewhere.. but Im not gonna be drilling into my block if I can help it.. Im affraid of the same thing you are too.. dont need no shavings going into the block! the best spot I think is the oil filter housing for an oil feed.. as for oil temp.. Id say the same spot. just easier really.. and safer.

yeh man iv mounted it behind the steering wheel,it displays everthing...iv posted a new thread in electronics
thanks yeh it hides away stealth as,also good for driving at night to keep glare down!
I thought maybe i could get our local engineering firm to make a new alloy oil filter cap with a thicker top to mount onto,and a different shape so i dont have to buy the MB tool to take it off!!

SLAMMED_C
11-28-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by 23K
yeh man iv mounted it behind the steering wheel,it displays everthing...iv posted a new thread in electronics
thanks yeh it hides away stealth as,also good for driving at night to keep glare down!
I thought maybe i could get our local engineering firm to make a new alloy oil filter cap with a thicker top to mount onto,and a different shape so i dont have to buy the MB tool to take it off!!
yeh I saw it.. for me its too much with all the displays.. but I guess it beats having 4 or 5 gauges all over the place.. looks okay.. but still almost a bit too rice!.. but not quite!
but I really like the hide away in your ashtray.. very sweet!
the only problem with having a new oil filter housing lid made is that you will constantly have to remove the sensors that are mounted in it when you do an oil change.. (since they will be in the way.. plus they will be very visable sitting on top of the motor like that)
I say drill into the filter housing on the inside (under the intake manifold) no one will see it and it will work fine.. I think!

Pagz
11-28-2005, 04:08 PM
yeh I saw it.. for me its too much with all the displays.. but I guess it beats having 4 or 5 gauges all over the place.. looks okay.. but still almost a bit too rice!.. but not quite!
but I really like the hide away in your ashtray.. very sweet!
the only problem with having a new oil filter housing lid made is that you will constantly have to remove the sensors that are mounted in it when you do an oil change.. (since they will be in the way.. plus they will be very visable sitting on top of the motor like that)
I say drill into the filter housing on the inside (under the intake manifold) no one will see it and it will work fine.. I think!

LOL yeh thought it mayb alittle rice,i would like to have hidden all of it!!...
Hmmm yes your right,i just thought i'd remove the sensors when i did the filter...but if i can do the side of the filter chamber without getting crap in there and make the probs fit without obstruction there thats the way to go for sure man!

SLAMMED_C
11-28-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by 23K
LOL yeh thought it mayb alittle rice,i would like to have hidden all of it!!...
Hmmm yes your right,i just thought i'd remove the sensors when i did the filter...but if i can do the side of the filter chamber without getting crap in there and make the probs fit without obstruction there thats the way to go for sure man!
yeh it looks a lil rice!!.. but its still cool man. yeh.. Idealy you would have liked to have hidden all of it!!...
I mean its up to you if you really want to be removing sensors all the time.. but the easiest and cleanest looking way to do it is to drill into the filter housing itself and just tap it... as long as you remove the filter form the housing and stuff some rags down there I dont think you will be getting any metal shavings in there at all.
I plan on doing my oil pressure sensor like that too.. just gotta find the time.. it means removing the intake manifold to be able to get a drill into there and drill the housing out!!