PDA

View Full Version : intercoolers ?

rollinrealbig
11-20-2005, 09:25 AM
ok, what i want to know is, if you just run an intercooler without a turbo, and have it cool down the air, would it be an increase of any kind ?

Pagz
11-20-2005, 09:44 AM
No.....An IC will only lower charged air temperature closer to ambiant...and because an Air-Air IC doesnt exist over 100%efficiency(or even close to) you'd be best to install a CAI because it would have less restriction,and would breath ambiant...

there is an exception though,you could use ice to cool the charge,but not very practicle in a street car:D

Rgrds,
Paul

rollinrealbig
11-20-2005, 09:46 AM
ok, yea i got it!

so basically the car has to breath easily without an IC in its way.

but an IC is good if you have a turbo right ?

Pagz
11-20-2005, 10:11 AM
Yip,in any car your best option for intake will be to feed as much ambiant air from outside the engine bay as possible,and in some cases its possible to ram air into the system via sealed air ducts from your front bumper or the like...

Yip,an IC is a must for any forced induction car,regardless of spec.

hope that clears it up alittle man:)

rollinrealbig
11-20-2005, 10:15 AM
ok, cool man !

yea also im thinkin of getting one of those electric fans for the intake - u know the ones that force air into the intake, until i can get a turbo manifold, LoL

Pagz
11-20-2005, 10:43 AM
Hmmm the controversial electric fan...not really my thing,but it would be interesting to see how much these will give the m111...

there are some big down sides to the electric setup,one being the retriction when its not operating(unless they have found away round this)
and also the high current draw to produce little pressure can have adverse affects on your battery and charging system(unless you install batterys in your boot and charge them daily)

it maybe better to aim straight at using the wasted energy from your exhaust to drive the compressor IMO...
but if your keen on the electric let me know how you get on man!:)

rollinrealbig
11-20-2005, 02:04 PM
yea you do have a point, but do you think it will really drain alot or energy ?

maybe im not goin to buy that fan ... save up money for a turbo.

im planning to use a TD04 turbo (found on mitsubishi's, subaru's, saab's and some other models)

ive heard they are very compact and spool up quick.

let me know what you guys think. and keep in mind mercedes does not give alot of room under the hood to play around like on honda's ... especially if you have a c280

Pagz
11-20-2005, 03:11 PM
Yes they draw big current,if im not mistaken some manufacturers state a power on duration of about 15-20sec max at one time on a common system,which equals big draw...

hmmm be careful how you pick your turbo,checking the right compressor maps is a good first step,then you'll need to do a few calculations to norrow the pick down,then it will be trial and error to attain the best setup for your needs...as there are very litttle turbo M111's there is little to go by...

check www.turbobygarrett.com here you'll find calculations on matching a turbo,and also compressor maps which you can print out and draw you're conclusions on...

goodluck:)

rollinrealbig
11-20-2005, 03:21 PM
ok, i did that filter removal thing you were talking about,

very easy!

when i pulled off the TB, i noticed that my filter screen was kinda clogged up on the sides, another thing, i didnt have an O-ring that size either,

so what i did was i pulled off the screen and just reused that same O-ring, just the screen was pulled out, then cleaned the O-ring, put some copper spray on it (dont kno if that helps) and put it back together, i kant really say there was a differance because i didnt drive the car yet,

but i did get a picture of what 23K was talkin about and whenever somebody explains how to post pictures, ill post it.

M104-AMG
11-20-2005, 05:04 PM
If you're looking at only dragstrip application, I believe the KNIGHT turbo is the only realy electric fan that will work. But like it was said before, do you have space for all the batteries!

I believe Squire is the company that is doing turbo way back with the muffler assembly.

However, since you have a C280, if it the M104 engine, that check with Mosselman in the Netherlands. They have done some for that engine.

Good luck,
:-) neil

rollinrealbig
11-20-2005, 05:12 PM
ummm, i have a c230,

and Im just gonna save up money to get a turbo, not an electric fan.

anybody have anysuggestions on which turbo to buy ?

so far i like the TD04 because its small, has a built in waste gate, and seems kinda easy to fabricate the manifold for it.

not to mention they are only about $300 for a new one.

Pagz
11-20-2005, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by rollinrealbig
ummm, i have a c230,

and Im just gonna save up money to get a turbo, not an electric fan.

anybody have anysuggestions on which turbo to buy ?

so far i like the TD04 because its small, has a built in waste gate, and seems kinda easy to fabricate the manifold for it.

not to mention they are only about $300 for a new one.

did you check garretts turbo tech?

rollinrealbig
11-20-2005, 05:25 PM
yea, but for some reason that site doesnt work, or doesnt load.

Pagz
11-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Hmmm,have you thought about what else you will need for the turbo setup?

-boost control(not ess)
-exhaust changes
-IC plus piping for intake changes and piping upto the TB
-oil feed and maybe water depending on turbo
-ECU/fuel changes
-BOV
-dyno

just for thought....

Pagz
11-20-2005, 05:40 PM
yea, but for some reason that site doesnt work, or doesnt load.

Weird,seems to work fine at my end,maybe your comp?

rollinrealbig
11-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by 23K
Hmmm,have you thought about what else you will need for the turbo setup?

-boost control(not ess)
-exhaust changes
-IC plus piping for intake changes and piping upto the TB
-oil feed and maybe water depending on turbo
-ECU/fuel changes
-BOV
-dyno

just for thought....

yea, its alot of cash, but im only keepin the car till i get out of high sckool, then im going to buy like a G35.

do you think ill need to buy a new exhaust? or can i still keep my old one? i kno i have to modify alot to fit the turbo.

Pagz
11-20-2005, 06:12 PM
Hmmm,i think if i were in your position i would buy some nice alloys,drop it on some aftermarket shocks and springs,maybe install a CAI and buy a faster car when you graduate man,the turbo will cost you your life:)(time and money)

rollinrealbig
11-20-2005, 06:18 PM
yea i know what your saying,

but i cant race or do anything with this car cuz its slow, i wan to have sumthing in it, also it will be good practice, i still have 2 and a half years left in HS,

OR - i can start saving up a down payment. by the time i try to buy a G35, they will be alot cheaper,

rite now, i got a quote, the total came out for 40G'z

But ... my mom has a C230 06' model, its manual and can be nice if modded, she wants me to take that and pay off, while she gets sumthing faster.

I dont really know what to do .

Pagz
11-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Racing is one thing you merc was not designed for,and it will cost you body parts trying to make it that way...
your best bet is to save your money for a fast car,or drop the merc and cruise man:)...

rollinrealbig
11-20-2005, 07:29 PM
yea , plus i just drove my frenz 06' RX-8,

i gotta say, i love the car and stuff, interior is just drop dead!

But - its about 250HP and doesnt seem like it, just sounds loud but my moms 06' C230 has 210 HP and it goes faster.

the RX has like no miles yet because he just bought it 2 days ago, so the clutch engages way tooo soon, and the gearbox is really rough during shifts.

but acceloration is good.

yea, i kant make up my mind for shit! anybody know a good japanese car ? like similar to the 300Z, G35, RX-8, ? toyota doesnt have anything intresting, mercedes SLR is toooo much.

jnolte
11-20-2005, 11:14 PM
toyota altezza, or errr i mean Lexus IS

rollinrealbig
11-21-2005, 10:35 PM
i drove the new is250's at the dealership,

i gotta say they killed the car !!!!

its alot slower then the old IS3's

the GS300's like the 04's are pretty fast . even for an automatic.

VIP_MBZ
11-29-2005, 02:21 PM
the IS250 is supposed to be slower than the IS300. You have to drive the IS350 before deciding that they "killed it."

I guarantee it won't even think twice about beating the crap out of your mom's C230, your friend's RX-8, and the G35 if you ever get it.

To reply to your earlier post, the TD04 is way undersized for the 2.3L. Each of the stock turbos on my 2.5L Toyota are larger than a TD04. And there's two. A Garret GT30 is a much better starting point in my opinion. If you want to keep the power more accessible on the low end, just leave the factory supercharger and do a pulley upgrade.

-Ray

rollinrealbig
11-29-2005, 03:24 PM
i did drive both the IS300 and the new IS250,

IS3 seems much faster.

actually, the IS250 have the same amount of HP as my moms c230, and RX-8 will defintly beat both with a small amount of upgrades and G35 - it will beat RX8, c230 and the lexus even if the G35 is all stock, just check out the specs is one and test drive all those cars listed you will know that the G35 is faster.

my c230, doesnt have a supercharger - its one of the early c230 models which didnt come with one. and i dont really care about buying a turbo for it anymore because its still gonna be an automatic (which i hate) so ill just use it to get around and stuuf, of coarse ill add better rims and stuff but then sell it to buy another car.

VIP_MBZ
11-30-2005, 07:32 AM
i did drive both the IS300 and the new IS250,

IS3 seems much faster.

G35 - it will beat RX8, c230 and the lexus even if the G35 is all stock, just check out the specs is one and test drive all those cars listed you will know that the G35 is faster.

I believe I did say IS350, and it has consistently beaten the G35 as far as average tested times go from Road and Track, Car and Driver, and Motor Trend. Of those listed above, the only one I haven't tried is the new C230 V6.

The G35 would be the sportier choice because of the 6MT option, but that was an intentional move by Toyota to pave the way for the announced sports coupe, which will have the same motor as the 350 (likely tuned for more power) plus a 6-speed.

-Ray

rollinrealbig
11-30-2005, 10:31 AM
OOOOooooh - you did say is350, i was talking about the is250 because its a 6-speed manual. never tried the is350, if i buy a new car its gotta be manual so why bother test driving you know ?

so its like this, IS250 is slowest, then RX-8, then G35, and fastest out of those is IS350 but they down come with manual.

but out of all of those - i have to give credit to the mazda - 1.3L ? thats pretty good for such a small engine, too bad they probably wont last very long. and parts for that engine are gonna drain your paycheck.

VIP_MBZ
11-30-2005, 07:51 PM
The 1.3L rotary as a concept has less wear and tear than a piston engine. Problems associated with the RX have been mostly due to apex seal failure in turbo applications.

I can't speak for the other components, but the new Renesis 1.3 will probably run for a very long time.

-Ray

rollinrealbig
12-01-2005, 08:31 PM
you think it will last a long time ?

I know parts for that renesis are gonna be expensive like all mazda parts are.

but since it can handle high RPM's do you think it would last very long ? im really not sure ...