PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new tires suggestions.

Denlasoul
11-21-2005, 01:09 PM
Hello all-

I'm in the market for some new tires. I am looking for a good/really good wet/dry traction and low road noise.

I am contemplating Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's and Yokohama Advan Neova AD-07 as they were recently reviewed in Eurotuner. Both have very high marks, #1 and #2 in their 14 tire test.

If any Member's have experience with these two, please share your thoughts.

I will also consider other tires if Member's care to recommend them (by personal experience please).

Thanks.

jnolte
11-21-2005, 02:13 PM
michelin pilot sport A/S hella good grip, never hydroplane or nothing, but too expesive

Now i got Nitto 555 pretty good all around, i guess RENNtech uses them on there cars..

Tump43
11-21-2005, 02:22 PM
The Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's were hands down the best 17" summer performance tire I ever had on the C43. Kumho Mx's are good, but not as quiet and not as smooth -- a lot less expensive in the 18" size, though.

The GS-D3's only last a season though.

c55m8o
11-21-2005, 05:46 PM
From your list, I only have experience with the GY Eagle F1 GS D3s ; they're back on my car now that I finally wore through those piece'o crap AVS100 tires that came on the used rims I bought. (the AVs100s needed a lot of heat before they'd work ; then would overheat soon after that)

Ironically, the F1s are lasting longer then I thought they would for me. The front tire's outer tread is holding up pretty well to my bombing of on/off ramps that I do as a rule. Really outstanding tires. A couple of criticism I'll say is the front tires wash out on me on real hard turns @ times (even before the bigger motor). Having the right air pressure is critical to avoid this. Also, bad grip under 40-50 degrees.

The only tire I like more for ultimate grip in both wet and dry are The Bridgestone Potenza S0-3 Pole Positions ; but you have to live with shorter life, much louder noise & harder sidewalls. I "might" go back to them after I wear though these tires. The F1 GS D3s have a much softer more compliant sidewall, very very quite (relatively to all other ultimate grip tires at least) and are holding up quite well for me.

Hey, speedybenz runs them too ... ya need more then that? :D

davis449
11-21-2005, 09:52 PM
I currently have Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S and the grip is phenominal. I've had some Yokohama YK420's before and the grip is terrible on those and they run out quickly for a 60K mile tire. My Kumho's in retrospect weren't bad, they held the road pretty well and looked good on the car, but I really wouldn't recommend them.

knvs
11-21-2005, 10:20 PM
I've had 3 sets of tires on my car; Dunlop 9000s or something, Kumho MX's, and Fuzion ZRI's. Out of the three I really like the MX's Really grippy and look really agressive too. That being said. I've had both rears blow out on me due to a puncture and they wear was really uneven (but that was due to me lowering the car nad not alining it) I want to try the Pirelli Nero's M&S and Bridgestone SO-3's. I'll probably go with the Nero's for tread life.

dshenberger
11-23-2005, 09:11 AM
I have been running AVS/db2 or whatever
their ultra high performance all season
tires are. They grip very well, wet or dry.
And best of all they are inexpensive(compared to Pilot sports)

Denlasoul
01-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Update: I went ahead and tried something different. Bought some Continental Sport Contact 2's. So far I like them. I have not been able to test them out fully, but I like them so far. Highway noise is not too bad, it is what I would expect with 40 and 35 series tires.

I really like the shape of the tire as the shoulders are more rounded as compared to my old Kumho's. Seems like it rubs less.

jnolte
01-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
Update: I went ahead and tried something different. Bought some Continental Sport Contact 2's. So far I like them. I have not been able to test them out fully, but I like them so far. Highway noise is not too bad, it is what I would expect with 40 and 35 series tires.

I really like the shape of the tire as the shoulders are more rounded as compared to my old Kumho's. Seems like it rubs less.

sweet now lets race!

VIP_MBZ
01-26-2006, 02:16 PM
I have used the Advan Neova, they are a great street tire, and very popular amongst the JDM tuners. My next set will be the Advan A032R on this car (canyon season is coming), and A048 on the not-so-daily driver.

-Ray

mayagman
01-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Kumho Ecsta ASX
All-season pattern/compound
V speed rating
$52/tire

I've been using them for a while now, very predictable traction break, although they hold the road remarkably well until that point. I would recommend these tires highly in the future if you're looking for all-season rubber.

Denlasoul
01-27-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by mayagman
Kumho Ecsta ASX
V speed rating
$52/tire

I've been using them for a while now, very predictable traction break, although they hold the road remarkably well until that point. I would recommend these tires highly in the future if you're looking for all-season rubber.
I was considering picking up a set of these. Reviews were pretty good and the price was excellent. In the end, because of my low profile, I decided to go with the Conti's. I'm happy with them so far.

Abuimad
01-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by mayagman
Kumho Ecsta ASX
V speed rating
$52/tire

my car finishes soon..and im in the market for tires, and i wanted to go back to the potenza's...but the price of the kumho seem pretty nice........

jnolte
01-27-2006, 06:19 PM
I was considering picking up a set of these. Reviews were pretty good and the price was excellent. In the end, because of my low profile, I decided to go with the Conti's. I'm happy with them so far.

i had these on my c43 with my 18s i dident like them much, they wore out really fast!

martattack
01-28-2006, 11:01 AM

I didn't see this thread when you first posted it, but I have had the ContiSport Contacts for a couple years now. They work out great for me. They have a pretty good treadwear rating and they stick pretty well. They also seem to do pretty well in the rain.

I'll probably end up replacing them with another set this summer.