PDA

View Full Version : What's up with fender rolling? (rant)

The LO C
12-05-2005, 03:47 PM
So, just like every other enthusiast with a W202 with suspension mods and aftermarket wheels I called my local tuning shop (Shoreline motorsports) in Huntington Beach and tried to make an appointment for fender rolling. BTW, I've brought 2 vehicles there in the past. He asks the vehicle, and then gives me the "Ooooo (deep breath), not sure if I can do a C43, I'll need to look at it first to see if it's possible." What? I told him it's been done many times before. Screw them...so I have my brother-in-law go over to Ef1 Motorsports in Signal Hill down the street from his work. He then calls and says, "Just the rear right? Doing the front will mess up the body line (according to the person there).

What the hell is this? Does anybody have a clue what they are talking about?

Can anyone reccommend a shop (prefereably in Orange County) that won't give me a hassle? I am trying to do it the right way with the proper fender rolling tool. I heard that renting the tool is a PITA, but is doing things yourself the only way to get things done these days?

Thanks.......I feel better now :p

Renn 208
12-05-2005, 04:05 PM
not quite orange county, but I would suggest giving TWS

http://www.thewheelsupply.com/index.jsp

in Walnut a call.

Sander's a good friend to many on the boards, and knows how to do things right.

The LO C
12-05-2005, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll give these guys a call tomorrow!

Pagz
12-05-2005, 06:43 PM
hmmm,yes doing the front can mess up the body line where the front of the door meets the gaurd....just be careful not to over do it....

Ashkan's C280
12-05-2005, 08:00 PM
its 40 perside for a roll at tws... using dremel (sp) or whatever to remove inner lineing stuff prob be more, not sure how much, and not sure how much rolling they do, not sure if they have the tools to bend the fenders either, but albert is the shit, so is that german guy who does brabus interiors

J Irwan
12-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
its 40 perside for a roll at tws... using dremel (sp) or whatever to remove inner lineing stuff prob be more, not sure how much, and not sure how much rolling they do, not sure if they have the tools to bend the fenders either, but albert is the shit, so is that german guy who does brabus interiors

Dremel..??? who told you that...

Please don't post incorrect information..... fender rolling need to be done correctly with the correct tool. "Fender roller"

This has been asked a few time before. If you search this website you will find a picture of the tools.

Regardz,

Ashkan's C280
12-05-2005, 08:59 PM
I meant in addition to fender rolling, incase there was rubbing from the inside as well..... that is why I said using dremel (sp) or whatever to remove inner lineing stuff prob be more i.e. besides rolling the fenders, if you would be interested in doing that... maybe you should really read what I say before you try and slam me, it gets annoying...

VIP_MBZ
12-06-2005, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by The LO C
so I have my brother-in-law go over to Ef1 Motorsports in Signal Hill down the street from his work. He then calls and says, "Just the rear right? Doing the front will mess up the body line (according to the person there).

What the hell is this? Does anybody have a clue what they are talking about?

EF1 Motorsports did mine, no problem. I clear 18x8.5's and 18x9.5's (both +35 offset), 235 and 265 tires with AMG brakes, no rubbing, and max lip. Call them up yourself and ask for Fabrizio.

-Ray

ledrocnoc
12-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Call me ignorant, but I thought that the C43 fenders were already "rolled" (at least they are on mine, and by "rolled", I mean the inside lip of the fender has been folded up against the fender itself).

They are not rolled all the way around, but I am not sure that rolling the very front or rear would provide any additional clearance either.

Denlasoul
12-06-2005, 11:51 AM
You are correct that C43's are rolled from the factory. Additional rolling just puts the fender closer on the inside for a minimal clearing.

If you really want to roll your fenders, you should get them pulled out like Speedybenz:Here's a Thread, but do not know what happened to the pictures. (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6284&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)

J Irwan
12-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
I meant in addition to fender rolling, incase there was rubbing from the inside as well..... that is why I said using dremel (sp) or whatever to remove inner lineing stuff prob be more i.e. besides rolling the fenders, if you would be interested in doing that... maybe you should really read what I say before you try and slam me, it gets annoying...

First of all, think before you write.

I never pointed anything if not for a reason.

Have you really look at under the car... The terminology for fender rolling is to roll the fender lip.....

Secondly there is no liner un W202 (unlike most Honda's has black rubber lining that goes to the fender lip).

Third, i when the time you use dremmel is called cutting the fender lip. not rolling. And if you have to do this normally fender rolling is not sufficient. Personally I don't see the point of cutting the fender lip (given if the lip can be rolled, some car do need some cutting like the latest Gen of Toyota Supra as their fender lip is very think and doesn't allow it to get rolled completely).

Given the context of the question, please read it before replying.
I would appreciate if you say you don't know rather than giving some random/misleading answer.

I've been monitoring your post....so its not the first time....

Look at it as a friendly reminder ..;)

Regardz,

J Irwan
12-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by ledrocnoc
Call me ignorant, but I thought that the C43 fenders were already "rolled" (at least they are on mine, and by "rolled", I mean the inside lip of the fender has been folded up against the fender itself).

They are not rolled all the way around, but I am not sure that rolling the very front or rear would provide any additional clearance either.

As you and Denlasoul stated, All C36's and C43's has their front fender lip and rear fender lip rolled from the factory.

Non-AMG W202 only has the rear fender lip rolled from the factory.

On C36's and C43's you can rolled the fender further to increas the arch on the fender (slightly flare it, only slighly).

I rolled the front fender on my 97 C36 to increase the gap between the front tires and the fender lip. This gives the illusion I have higher front wheel offset.

The perfect fender rolling job is when you rolled it and achieved more space but yet it is still look like factory fender.

Below is the picture of my C36's fender after rolled.

http://onfinite.com/libraries/561770/b56.jpg
http://onfinite.com/libraries/561667/b56.jpg
http://onfinite.com/libraries/665923/136.jpg

As Renn pointed out I would bring the car the TWS, as they're know exactly what they're doing.

Regardz,

Dr. ///AMG
12-06-2005, 06:31 PM
TWS is good for that stuff. Heat gun, mallet and piece of wood baby!

tpliquid
12-07-2005, 09:40 AM
nice M5 j irwin

Abuimad
12-07-2005, 09:56 AM
no that would be beutifull M5, and wasnt ur 202 for sale ?

The LO C
12-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Went to TWS today. They did an excellent job, thanks for the recommendation. They rolled the fender, cut the bumper edge and pushed back the splash guards on both sides. I haven't heard it rub since, yet the real test is to take fast turns with a passenger.

ledrocnoc
12-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Can anyone recommend a shop who does seomthing like that in the SF Bay Area (i.e. massaging the fenders)?

Txs

Ashkan's C280
12-08-2005, 10:51 AM
how much did you pay? 160? or more? 160 with tax? so around 178?

The LO C
12-08-2005, 11:04 AM
I just had the front done. It was $70 even.

Dr. ///AMG
12-09-2005, 03:05 AM
Went to TWS today. They did an excellent job, thanks for the recommendation. They rolled the fender, cut the bumper edge and pushed back the splash guards on both sides. I haven't heard it rub since, yet the real test is to take fast turns with a passenger. nah, the true test is to take the next on ramp going 60 west after fairway. I think it's colima on ramp. There's a mean ol' bump on the road.

Or you can try to go to the Carl's Jr right there by TWS and if you can make it up the driveway you're fine lol

The LO C
12-09-2005, 06:14 AM
Just the driveway to get into the TWS complex is a small canyon.

Dr. ///AMG
12-09-2005, 06:15 AM
Just the driveway to get into the TWS complex is a small canyon.

haha yeah that too.

Renn 208
12-09-2005, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Dr. ///AMG
haha yeah that too.

And the the ground is scarred witht the carcasses of a thousand scrapped undertrays and bumpers.

When are you going to slem it, and slappings the Braboose?

The LO C
12-09-2005, 09:22 AM
Now that my car is pretty buried and not currently rubbing, I may get bold and get some tires to slap on my 19" Carlssons (sucks they are chrome). I figure if I run 225/35/19, they won't be any taller (minimally) than the 225/40/18's I'm running now and can still get away without rubbing. Running bigger wheels is more important to me than running cooler, but smaller ones :D

Nitrous911
12-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Does anyone know some shops in the Bay Area that do fender rolling? Thanks for the input.