PDA

View Full Version : FS: C43 engine + transmission + electronic

ledrocnoc
12-06-2005, 12:05 PM
I am scheduled to pick up my E55 engine + transmission + computers (engine and trans I think) this weekend. Installation should happen in the next few weeks...

So, if anyone is interested in the parts coming out the the C43 let me know.

The car is a 1998 C43 and currently has 47xxx miles. No problems whatsoever with the car, I just got a killer deal on the parts, I couldn't let it pass!

It's a California car and I am the secong owner. I'll probably do a dyno run and compression test before taking the engine / transmission room.

PM me if interested.

DRC

c55m8o
12-06-2005, 01:56 PM
A big welcome to "five five" membership. Yer gunna luv it!

Changing electronics? I hope Carl chimes in. He tried a E55 ECU but went back to his C43 ECU ; I can't remember the specifics now, if there were problems of not. Both he and I had a "tuned" E55 program flashed over our C43 programs however. I verified that it did indeed make a difference on the Dyno.

Denlasoul
12-06-2005, 01:59 PM
I recall somthing aout needing to keep the stock C43 exhaust manifolds as the E55 ones do not fit. Can anyone verify?

ledrocnoc
12-06-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by c55m8o
A big welcome to "five five" membership. Yer gunna luv it!

Changing electronics? I hope Carl chimes in. He tried a E55 ECU but went back to his C43 ECU ; I can't remember the specifics now, if there were problems of not. Both he and I had a "tuned" E55 program flashed over our C43 programs however. I verified that it did indeed make a difference on the Dyno.

I'd be interested in talking to Carl. Do you know of anyone who did both the engine + transmission swap?

How much gain (torque and hp) from the "tune" firmeware?

ledrocnoc
12-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
I recall somthing aout needing to keep the stock C43 exhaust manifolds as the E55 ones do not fit. Can anyone verify?

That's my understanding. So my engine would come without the manifolds.

c55m8o
12-07-2005, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by ledrocnoc
I'd be interested in talking to Carl. Do you know of anyone who did both the engine + transmission swap?

How much gain (torque and hp) from the "tune" firmeware? Kevin did the tranni from an E55, as his C43 tranni went after his swap.

The place I did the dyno runs at (while the chip tuning guy was there so we could try different ECU map programs) didn't give me good tabular outputs of the runs, or good detailed graphs -- but when I looked at the runs on the dyno computer which would give you accurate measured values as you slid over the RMP range, it was a 12 ft-lb gain in torque and gain of 9 in hp (all @ the wheels)

And those gains were over the measured value using a E55 program, not C43 program. When we put the stock C43 program back in, it lost like 25hp @ the wheels or something like that. :eek:

c55m8o
12-07-2005, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by ledrocnoc
That's my understanding. So my engine would come without the manifolds. Denlasoul, ledrocnoc, yes, that is correct. The manifold was taken off the old 4.3L motor and stayed with the car on the 5.4L motor for the reason of fit.

knvs
12-07-2005, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by c55m8o
Kevin did the tranni from an E55, as his C43 tranni went after his swap.

yes I did both the engine and tranny swap... Not by choice tho. My tranny gave out at 83k. Luckly the shop that did my swap had a E55 tranny laying around and I swapped that one in. My eingine is out of a 2000 E55 and tranny is out of a 1999 E55. I wish it was one of the new touch shift trannys. That would be cool. Where did you pick up your engine and tranny from ledrocnoc.

From my understanding, I'm still using all the C43 ECU, software programing and stuff. So Steve, are you saying that the stock C43 ECU and programs gave you more power then the E55 ECU. Did you feel the difference between the two? Was one more responsive then the other? I feel like the car was a bit more responsive and faster with the stock C43 tranny. It seems to be a little less responsive and not as quick after I put in the E55 tranny.

ledrocnoc
12-07-2005, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by knvs
Where did you pick up your engine and tranny from ledrocnoc.

I haven't seen the hardware yet. A friend put a deposit on it for me (he's buying the interior of the E55 for his E430). The plan is to go and pick everything up in Oregon this week-end, and drive it down to the Bay Area (San Francisco) in a one way truck rental.

After that we have a Mercedes Certified mechanics who will do the swap (he's been to look at the engine, tranny and all the computers to make sure that everything works and is in tip top shape).

The engine trans are from a 2000 with < 30k miles.

c55m8o
12-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by knvs
From my understanding, I'm still using all the C43 ECU, software programing and stuff. So Steve, are you saying that the stock C43 ECU and programs gave you more power then the E55 ECU. Did you feel the difference between the two? Was one more responsive then the other? I feel like the car was a bit more responsive and faster with the stock C43 tranny. It seems to be a little less responsive and not as quick after I put in the E55 tranny. Yes, was much more responsive with the chipped E55 program ; from the local guy who did ours at least. Are you using your trans ECU or the one from it? You might need to re-adapt the tranni in either case. It probably has been sitting for years; did you change the oil in it? Also, did you change the torque converter or are you using your original one? just wondering.