PDA

View Full Version : One step closer to turbo(milestone though)

Pagz
12-10-2005, 10:18 AM
well,i finally forked out for a turbo,now there really is no going back...so it better work well!,Anyway heres where im at...
had to remove the internal wastegate..as there wasnt enough room,so will need an external item now...
...and next step is to get her in for a manifold and new exhaust piping...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_116_full.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_117_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_119_full.jpg

heres how my old manifold looks,couldnt wait to get it out!,so many lost hp's!...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_118_full.jpg

still much to do like oil and water feed,IC piping,new intake,bypass pipes etc,should keep me busy over xmas...

jstrat85
12-10-2005, 02:59 PM
looking good!!! keep it up!

c280nz
12-10-2005, 03:48 PM
man that manifold looks like a hoorie piece of crap.
what size turbo is that, looks pritty big?
looks like a tight fit! make sure you strip all the burnables out :confused:

one step closer to a very bad ass car :cool:

rollinrealbig
12-10-2005, 05:43 PM
your manifold is differnt from mine ... Hmmm

Pagz
12-10-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by rollinrealbig
your manifold is differnt from mine ... Hmmm

yeh man,the steering box is in the way on right hand drive;)

Pagz
12-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by c280nz
man that manifold looks like a hoorie piece of crap.
what size turbo is that, looks pritty big?
looks like a tight fit! make sure you strip all the burnables out :confused:

one step closer to a very bad ass car :cool:

thanks,
hmmm yeh they meet a right-angles,very poor design...man its been buging me for ages...taking it off was like pulling a shard of stainless out of your foot...big relief!

its a Garrett GT2860RS,which is actually medium sized,its a tad smaller in flow capability than the HKS GT2535 jstrat runs,but im running a .86 turbine housing instead of the usual .64,which should give better top end and maybe better economy...

yip,there will be a mini fire extinguisher in the car from now on!,...ill also rape the turbine housing and exhaust to help stop heat transfer...

Paul.

Under Pressure
12-10-2005, 08:26 PM
My kind of Club.202'er!!!

Welcome to the turbo'd W202 club. I thought you would never do it b/c so many people say they are going to and never do.

I wish I was "still a member" but this darn WRX I have after my turbo'd C220 was just begging for me to own it. Haha.

Anyway, once you go turbo you'll never go back to NA

By the way, how are you going to fabricate a manifold? And what metals are you going to make it of to insure it doesn't crack? For reference, my old Mosselman turbo kit had a manifold made of 35% nickel.

rollinrealbig
12-10-2005, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by 23K
yeh man,the steering box is in the way on right hand drive;)

got me there.

Pagz
12-11-2005, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Under Pressure
My kind of Club.202'er!!!

Welcome to the turbo'd W202 club. I thought you would never do it b/c so many people say they are going to and never do.

I wish I was "still a member" but this darn WRX I have after my turbo'd C220 was just begging for me to own it. Haha.

By the way, how are you going to fabricate a manifold? And what metals are you going to make it of to insure it doesn't crack? For reference, my old Mosselman turbo kit had a manifold made of 35% nickel.

thanks,its great to be in the club(well almost in)
yeh there are many who speak and never do!...

actually,out of the last 4 cars iv had,iv only owned one N/A,which was my hard tuned thrash-happy typeR teg.....
I'll never go back to a roots SC thats fo sure!....

how many HP's is your WRX running?,i used to have an evo3,went well!

good question...,most of the fabricators hear use stainless in street cars,i know is susceptible to cracking,cast or steel is usually a better way to go...i'll see what my fabricators say,it'll probly be stainless though...

Under Pressure
12-11-2005, 12:45 PM
I havent been dyno'd yet as an all wheel drive one was just installed where I live, but people with identical mods to mine make 270-280hp.

Anyway, I would say to contact Mosselman and seeing if you can buy just a manifold but he makes them specifically to fit a Garret T-25.

SLAMMED_C
12-11-2005, 05:49 PM
NICE!!!!... lookin good buddy.
that looks like a bigish turbo too!.. Im jealous!!

Pagz
12-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
NICE!!!!... lookin good buddy.
that looks like a bigish turbo too!.. Im jealous!!

lol Thanks man!,
just picked up my external wastegate,gotta find room to mount it now!...
also cheers for the quick reply:D

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_120_full.jpg

Under Pressure
12-12-2005, 02:27 PM
That looks like my friend's Tial. Is it 44mm? Also, what psi are you going to use it at???

Pagz
12-12-2005, 04:28 PM
That looks like my friend's Tial. Is it 44mm? Also, what psi are you going to use it at???

Its a tial 38mm,i didnt see the need to go any bigger,as the internal one it replaces is a whole lot smaller!,also because the turbine A/R is a medium size there will not be excesive flow with the low boost i'll run...

its set at .7 bar,hopfully i can run more than this with the AVC and not need to down grade the spring to suit...as its about another $30...
no doubt it will all be unvailed when i hit the dyno,im guessing 8-9,but its only a guess...

jstrat85
12-12-2005, 05:24 PM
im doing 5 right now also i might bring it up a lilbit more when i do the turbo chip.

Under Pressure
12-12-2005, 07:40 PM
When do you think the project will be completed? I think once you get the manifold and downpipe fabricated, you should be rocking soon.

I am going to follow this very closely. I love a turbo'd W202. To bad your brother jstrat lives in another country. Two turbo'd W202's but with totally different styling philosophy. I would like to see those two car pictures together....

Pagz
12-13-2005, 12:24 AM
When do you think the project will be completed? I think once you get the manifold and downpipe fabricated, you should be rocking soon.

I am going to follow this very closely. I love a turbo'd W202. To bad your brother jstrat lives in another country. Two turbo'd W202's but with totally different styling philosophy. I would like to see those two car pictures together....

Hmmm,thats a hard one,there is still plenty to do,next will be the manifold and a new exhaust right through to the muffler,also im going to mill the turbine houseing and make it the way it should be with a Y-pipe coming out the top to feed the external,then i'll weld on a custom 2-2.5 adapter to V-clamp off the turbine...should be an interesting fit...
after turbine mods are complete,i'll have it ceramic coated,and have the compressor milled and polished to suit...

when thats completed,theres also changes to the IC piping including mounting the bypass and return to the intake(to kill the PSHHH)

then theres a new 4" intake/filter into the bumper,which will need to be cut through just in front of the guard.

then will need to order braided lines for cooling and oil when i know the lengths...

also will need a new oil seperator/tank...
and new rubber piping for the electric water pump feeding air-con.
as well as mounting the fuel press,oil press,oil temp and water temp.

should at least take another month or so,depending on funds...It is Xmas!
will keep my domain page upto date for sure as it progresses

regards,
Paul

12-13-2005, 12:55 AM
Hey Paul,

you are really a great man:) You are really obsessed to modify the engine:D you can't stop your hands :)

Do you need to modify also the fuel injection and the ECU?

Great job

HI

Marco:)

Pagz
12-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by 1998K
Hey Paul,

you are really a great man:) You are really obsessed to modify the engine:D you can't stop your hands :)

Do you need to modify also the fuel injection and the ECU?

Great job

HI

Marco:)

Haha thanks Marco;),your right,i cant help myself,nobody can save me from myself either!...

There will be no changes to the ECU/fuel when the turbo go's on,this will happen at a later stage and will consist of a full system rather than add-on if and when it happens.

i will simply ramp it up on a dyno and raise boost until the ECU and fuel give fault,back it off alittle and drive it round for a while until i have modding withdrawals;)....

Regards,
Paul

Pagz
12-13-2005, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by jstrat85
im doing 5 right now also i might bring it up a lilbit more when i do the turbo chip.

hey so how much further do you think you can push it without decreasing compression??,from what iv seen most N/A bolt on systems run around 6-7 psi without trouble?!?!!...

Under Pressure
12-13-2005, 08:26 PM
Edit- Nevermind, I failed to read something you said that answers my question ;)

Pagz
12-15-2005, 10:01 AM
Hey underpressure,
where did you take your return water feed from the turbo(if you had one)
I was thinking of either the drain plug under the exhaust manifold or back into the header tank....I'm not sure which one is best??

I have fed it from where the temp sensores are fitted on our cars.

Paul

Under Pressure
12-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by 23K
Hey underpressure,
I was thinking of either the drain plug under the exhaust manifold or back into the header tank....I'm not sure which one is best??

Paul

It has been a few years but I don't think my Mosselman kit had any watr feed lines.

Under Pressure
12-30-2005, 11:40 PM
Updates???

Pagz
12-31-2005, 12:29 PM
the guys doin my fabrication are away till the 16th...its all waiting on them...
Have finally completed the N/A belt system!
so iv just been installing new IC piping to incorperate the trust bypass etc

i'll make sure theres a decent write-up when its in;)

Pagz
12-31-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by 23K
Hey underpressure,

Paul

I realised water doesnt flow out from the pump,it goes straight into the block first...so the feed wont be from the temp sensor housing,will need to get the pump drilled and tapped to take a return now and will feed it from the block drain plug...

Under Pressure
12-31-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by 23K
the guys doin my fabrication are away till the 16th...its all waiting on them...
Have finally completed the N/A belt system!
so iv just been installing new IC piping to incorperate the trust bypass etc

i'll make sure theres a decent write-up when its in;)

I take it you just went with a regular C230 belt system? Or is this something that had to be done custom?

Pagz
12-31-2005, 04:05 PM
yip,i just installed the 230's system,which consisted of a New water pump,pump pully,alternator pully,alternator mounting bracket,main crank pully and belt...
I wasnt sure which parts needed replacement at first...so things were ordered seperately,which takes a week each depending on stock,and at the end of it i found out i had the wrong belt.

Under Pressure
01-29-2006, 09:05 AM
Updates?????:bandit:

Pagz
01-29-2006, 10:06 AM
lol its been in the fabrication shop for over two weeks now!!!....theres three guys there and the one doin my project has been away sick!!,iv had these guys do my work before,there excellent...i was assured the guy doing the work was worth waiting for...,so im hopful it will be out by this following weekend(and its a public holiday here today also!)

you will definatly now when things happen!;)

Under Pressure
01-31-2006, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by 23K
lol its been in the fabrication shop for over two weeks now!!!....theres three guys there and the one doin my project has been away sick!!,iv had these guys do my work before,there excellent...i was assured the guy doing the work was worth waiting for...,so im hopful it will be out by this following weekend(and its a public holiday here today also!)

you will definatly now when things happen!;)

Are you just getting the manifold fabbed? My friend's old shop has custom made some crazy looking turbo manifolds in less than a day in between working with customer cars. Your shop must be doing a very nice manifold to take so long lol. I am as excited as you about the end result.

Pagz
01-31-2006, 09:51 AM
Are you just getting the manifold fabbed? My friend's old shop has custom made some crazy looking turbo manifolds in less than a day in between working with customer cars. Your shop must be doing a very nice manifold to take so long lol. I am as excited as you about the end result.

yeh i dont doubt manifolds can be done in a day,i guess it just
depends on the application and fitment...

the work there doing includes the manifold with external WG return to the exhaust,and have welded up the internal...
there also doing a full 3" stainless mandrel exhaust straight of the turbo to the C36 muffler with two O2 bungs, including a flexi join and SS resonator and two V-band clamp sets so that it can be easily modified for the occassion...
Iv also given them the IC piping to weld(as i cut it all before they got it).
things are extremely tight up around the rear exhaust port due to the steering box being in the way...so the labour costs will be somwhat high...but there work is usually very good!...It better be for the price im payn!!

Pagz
01-31-2006, 03:30 PM
these are the guys im using http://racecarfab.co.nz/

marsbike
01-31-2006, 09:08 PM
man...that looks good. I've always wondered about the turbo-ness-ability of the 202. Ehh...wish I had the money to do it :P

Pagz
01-31-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by marsbike
man...that looks good. I've always wondered about the turbo-ness-ability of the 202. Ehh...wish I had the money to do it :P

Hey thanks,i wish i had the money to do it!!!lol:D

marsbike
02-01-2006, 04:38 PM
I saw that you're having a manifold fabbed for you. Are there any companies other than Mossleman that make a manifold for the 202? I've been wanting to take this route a bit more seriously, and was also wondering about the compatibility of the 230k vs the 230. I know the intake is different, but, how about where the header comes out. Similar, or different?

Pagz
02-01-2006, 05:04 PM
I saw that you're having a manifold fabbed for you. Are there any companies other than Mossleman that make a manifold for the 202? I've been wanting to take this route a bit more seriously, and was also wondering about the compatibility of the 230k vs the 230. I know the intake is different, but, how about where the header comes out. Similar, or different?

Im not sure how many companys make manifolds for the 202,i would say very little due to the low volume of people going this route...
most fab shops will whip one up for you no problem though!,and im guessing your left hand drive?,so things would be even easier!...

but in saying this there are many things different about the 230K and 230,things like compression,oil jets under pistons!,different strength of internals....
also you have a different MAF and your ecu will need a piggy back of sorts along with a FPR,where as the 230K will run the turbo without changes to ecu to a certain extent(around 7-9psi i hope!)
and headers are the same i would imagine...

marsbike
02-01-2006, 09:17 PM
yeah, my car is LHD. I wish I looked just a touch longer and got the 230k :P Oh well...I guess my car will remain unmodded in that case...I'm looking for a SL600 instead :P I think it'll compliment the fleet nicely :P

Pagz
02-01-2006, 09:46 PM
I'm looking for a SL600 instead :P I think it'll compliment the fleet nicely :P

lol man with most benz win:D

marsbike
02-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by 23K
lol man with most benz win:D

does 4 come close? :P