PDA

View Full Version : Felt Strips for Window Tint????

CTOWN-BENZ
07-15-2003, 08:50 AM
I just tinted my windows about a month ago, and as I thought, I am starting to see scratches in the tint from the rubber gasket on the inside of the door.

Many of you have mentioned to have the window tint installer put felt on in place of the rubber. Do you just glue this felt on, or is there a seperate part that I can by to replace the rubber ones?

The tint looks great, but will soon be a mess.

Thanks,

Brad

KurumaGOD
07-15-2003, 01:07 PM
I need the solution too as well to prevent the scratches since i might get a new tint pretty soon...15% all around...

What is the felt? Would it stop scratch?

MBATF
07-15-2003, 01:30 PM
u need to cut down the strip a little. i will post up a pic soon.

J Irwan
07-21-2003, 06:36 PM
any luck with the pic..?????

I am curious too..

Regardz,

MBATF
07-21-2003, 06:49 PM
LOL opps i forgot to take teh pic!!!! sorry guys pic will be up soon!!!! i swear!

CTOWN-BENZ
07-22-2003, 04:39 AM
I don't know how to post the pictures. I thought you just added them as an attachment???

Anyway, I pulled the door panels off of all 4 doors, removed the rubber trim piece on the inside of the window (causing the scratching), and installed some felt. So far it seems to be working fine.

Again, I have pictures of that project if I could post them.

Brad

CKlasse
07-22-2003, 06:01 AM
MBATF is right... My tint guy cut tiny piece of the strip to prevent scracthes on the tint. :) 15% all around here too.

davis449
07-23-2003, 01:58 PM
I'm going to get my windows tinted next week. Do you guys think most installers know about that gasket problem in the window. I'm leary about taking it to an aftermarket installer because Lord knows I don't want my tint to get scratched. I was thinking about taking it to the Benz dealer, who coincidentally will charge much more, because of this problem. Any thoughts?

MBATF
07-23-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by davis449
I'm going to get my windows tinted next week. Do you guys think most installers know about that gasket problem in the window. I'm leary about taking it to an aftermarket installer because Lord knows I don't want my tint to get scratched. I was thinking about taking it to the Benz dealer, who coincidentally will charge much more, because of this problem. Any thoughts? The dealer will just send ur car to a outside shop anyway then charge u extra, u might as well just send it to teh shop urself. Or ask ur services advisor, to see where they send customers car to get their tints at.

Guys... my digital Cam is outta battering..and..i can't find the charger.....so i m gonna explain what and how much to cut ok..??

1- Roll ur window down all the way

2- and look in-between the window and the door card(interior

panel), you should be able to see a black rubber peice(weather strip)

pushinging against teh inner window...

3- Pull that son of bioch weatehr strip out,

4- get ur razor out

5- slice across the top of the weatehr strip off by 20-40%

6-get ur window tint

7-put that weatehr strip back in after the tint is done.

8- the negtive of cutting the weatehr strip will increase the cabine noise.

How to remove teh weather strip???
steps:
1- remove the door pin

2- gentally pull loos the upper portion of teh interior panle(door \

card)

3-make sure the panel is lose enough

4- use ur fingers(if u have stronge hand) or else use plyer to pull

it out(easest.)

I hope this will work for u guys... and i will try to find teh charegr to charge up my camera and take soem pics...

Sorry..
:cool:

Dr. ///AMG
08-01-2003, 10:58 PM
Got the 202 tinted today in LA

22% in the back 32% in the front. installer mentionned 2 w202 w/ that felt tip problem, but didnt remedy to it.

I think it'll mess up because I saw old scratches on the window...son of a bitch...we'll see what happens.