PDA

View Full Version : noob questions about modding a c180

iced
12-14-2005, 11:43 AM
hey guys...i'm new to the forum.....
i've been searching it for a while now, but it just gets me more lost...
i need to tune up my 97 (german made) c180 (elegance)...
so far i replaced the exhaust with a gr8 custom made 1,
-replaced my sparkplugs with bosh platinums,
-replaced my airfilter with a k&n (coned-like: sorry i duuno what is the technical name, but my guess is that u'll know what i m talkin bout)

the car sounds great, i mean real sporty, the performance r better:
-0/62mph(0/100km/h):9.8 to 10 sec
(and ya i know it's still shitty)
-max speed 196km/h (stocks do 190).

so know to the "please..PLEASE, help me" part
here's a couple of questions i hope u'll answer:

1-r the # above good?

2-is really changing my air filter will damage my car anyhow? (i read bout it damging the mas or something). and if it does, how can i diminish the risk without replacing the filter?

3-do u recommend me to get anything from wrecked cars that will improve my performance? i.e ecu, pipings....or maybe anoher motor?

4-is a kompressor cost efficient in my case? or maybe a turbo?

5-is NOS delivering something between 35-50hp dangerous to my 1.8l?

6-does putting c200 heads imprve ma prfrmce?(as i did my searches i found that it's doable but won't do me good b/c of compression rate or somethin, sorry i'm a speed enthusiastic but i'm no mechanical expert).

7-what about tweaking my ecu? do deliver more fuel, as it is gettin more air from my air filter?

8-does lowering, or stiffening my ride improve performance anyhow?

9-will a header improve my performance?

thnx im advance for any help/tip or comment...

Abuimad
12-14-2005, 08:43 PM
were r u from ?
and the air filter will damage ur MAS/MAF sensor if the oil on it is not right, my MAS is shot to death becauseof this so i suggest u take it out, other than that we seem to have the same mods done,
and i suggest dont mod nething just sell it and get a c36 like im doing cause i realised that if i was to mod my 98 230 its gonna set me back a minimum of about 3000 bucks, so y not sell my car and pay 3000 and get a c36 97...;)

trymonlam
12-15-2005, 01:28 AM
welcome to the site! another 202 owner had just found himself among friends and fellows!
i am sure many senior members here can give u plenty of help.
good luck.

Abuimad
12-15-2005, 05:13 AM
btw i never answered ur questions
In my opinion:
get a kompressor not a turbo since its muuuch cheaper....about 3g's
and as for the NOS question it was debated a while back on running Nos on the dily commuter...and the conclusion by many members was that if you run Nos at low boosts (40-50hp is low) then the engine wont be damaged..its the high hp's u got to b worried about
as for performance headers yes they do improve your cars over all performance, my mechanic gives me figures of up to 30 hp's but i leave that to the experts to judge..and lowering ur car wont affect the cars performance it will affect its handling and stability since it would improve it a lot make the center of gravity lower to the ground hence more control (or so i think), shocks, springs sway bars all help in stability
as for tweaking the ECU i heard a lot of pros and cons about them, pros such as it helps in fuel economy and gives u about 10-20 hp's more...others say for some reason it pushes the engine to hard (too high of rev's) therefore it will reduce the engines life....my friend has it and the acceleration has improved a loot
and what engine r u thinking of switcing too ?

Under Pressure
12-15-2005, 06:30 AM
We had a memeber named koolvin from the UK that had a C180 and he bought my old Mosselman turbo kit for it. Last I heard he was getting married and was going to try to sell his car and I dont htink he ever did. Maybe try to find his email from this website and inquire with him to see if he is selling his turbo kit. BTW, your car could handle a 35-50 shot of N2O. FOrced induction is the cheapest way to make a Mercedes fast....

iced
12-15-2005, 10:57 AM
thnx y'all for your warm help....
under_pressure: i know bout koolvin, i tried to talk to his mechanic on the other site, he replied once.... then never did

the thing is where i live shipping his turbo kit will cost me just as much as buying a new one!
i called the distributor in dubai, he said they aren'yt getting nemore mosselman kits, ten i thought that it's rwally not that worth it to put a turbo on my 1.8, i just want to improve its performance so it doesn't suck!....after my graduation i will sell it...

abou imad: ana min 3indak min bayrout (3rifit min nomertak);)
man can u help me a bit as i see that u know more than i
do bout these stuff, and btw who's ur mecanic?

one more thing, man i bought my car last year for bout 18,000$, coming straight from germany, so my dad will not, by ne mean, get me a c36, not even a c280.:confused:

oh ya, another thing, what can i do to keep the filter on?

thnx again.....

Abuimad
12-15-2005, 11:07 AM
lool yeah nimerti is a give away, i have several mechanics, i have 3eytani near LAU, and another near mcdonals (3ein mrayse) but im currently looking for another one..., and there is a lebaneese member here called alhacker now hes the 202 expert in lebanon he has everything on his car so u might wanna email him
as for the filter i took mine out (bought it from spoiler center in burjhamood) but if u really insist make sure you dont over oil it since the excess oil will definetly harm the MAS...
email me if u need nehelp
and if u want an engine hussein mazloom has a c43 engine for sale (i dont knoe if he stilldoes but he usualy get a lot of cool stuff like this)
btw what school/uni do u go to

iced
12-15-2005, 03:23 PM
DEAR GOD... JEET W ALLAH JEBAK!

man i've been lookin for guys like u since i got my 202...
there's no experts here ya zalameh! and i'm affraid to put my car and money with any mecaninc!

btw, shou ya3neh MAS bil 3arabeh? and what do u mean by overoiling? and how much is he intending to sell his c43?

i'm in a double major between business in lau, and law in lebneniyyeh...what about u?

trymonlam
12-15-2005, 05:27 PM
am i too old or am i too foreign?? i just found myself not knowing quite a bit about what u guys r talking about...
argghhh...

Abuimad
12-15-2005, 09:30 PM
trymonlam ur to foreighn :D
MAS i have no idea sho ya3ni bil 3arabi....and overoiling is when u clean ur filter u need to oil it...and some ppl tend to over oil it (put too much of oil on it..)this oil finds its way into the MAS and it ruins it...as for how much he is willing to sell his c43...i also have no idea i can call him up and ask him if u want cause i need a couple of stuff from him....
and so ur LAU beirit right ???
i go there too MWF 10-12 TTH 11-2 :D
were do u park i thought i knew all the 202's there ;)

trymonlam
12-15-2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Abuimad
trymonlam ur to foreighn :D

apparantly i am...

jnenad16
12-15-2005, 11:14 PM
so am I! LOL

iced
12-16-2005, 05:38 AM
bssof bi marry cury ta7it b3eed, i have a silver 202, it can be recognized by the sound shi ifta7 fiha...
in lau:mwf 12-4, tth 1-3
maybe i c u monday? shou 2awlak?
and yeah if u can ask him for me i would be much greatful.
and for the filter, inno min halla2 la naddfo bkoun ghayyarto min 2asslo...la?

Abuimad
12-16-2005, 05:57 AM
yeah sure monday it is, ana i park in the parking near the new building, im the one with the clean car and the big rimms :D
bas ano if u just put the filter mabado itnadfo so just keep it
if u need nehting else from the guy tell me i called him today and he was in salat il goum3a so...till monday

iced
12-16-2005, 08:04 AM
man ana baddeh jannetha ijmelan, bein halla2 w february mainly..
do u have something inn mind? 2aw iza btis2alo lal zalameh...

lol wen ne1 sees our typing plenty with numbers, they say that we suck at typing....:cool:

iced
12-16-2005, 08:21 AM
btw, do u have a licence for the tint?

Abuimad
12-16-2005, 08:28 AM
hahahah
yeah man i got this guy with cheap rimms and tires
sho badak 3ando brabus, carlsson, Fab desighn everything
bas whats the size that u have in mind ?
and the budget ?
3afekra 3andak wahed u can trust bebei3 sayarat ?

iced
12-16-2005, 08:46 AM
man i want 17" mainly...dependingon the prices, yet i want somethingunique for cheap...lol typical lebanese i know... bass mefee souyouleh!

and ana the ones my dad brought me the car from r a rippo...
but my brother in-law knows very much bout cars and their markets...and he knows lotta pple...so i think he can help dependingon what u need?....in other words, what do u need???
lol...

Abuimad
12-16-2005, 11:09 AM
i need a c36 1997 or 1996...basically thats it, and i did have a tarkhees....however it expired and im not gonna pay 300 dollars for 3 months of tinting..(i had to go to jail for my femme stayed there for like an hour and they made me write a ta3ahoud)
however i can find u rimms starting from 500 and up with tires...if u want i think the guy i bought my rimms from still has AMG rimms 17 inch pretty nice

iced
12-16-2005, 02:27 PM
man monday i meet u at the bb(business bldg) gate at 12.45,
if yes pm me ur name and shaklak...
i'll c wht i can do for the c36
how much r u willin to pay by the way?

Abuimad
12-17-2005, 02:06 AM
12:45 ill be loong gone, here is my number 49-11-49
call me if u need nething, and as for the c36 i just found one today so im hopping it will work out the deal is for the owner to take my car for 14,000 and make me pay about 4000 dollars withthe tasjeel..hope it works out
and if u need nething tell me

iced
12-17-2005, 02:34 AM
man! hope it'll work out with u...
but 14k for an american is much or not? (it's a question)
and pm me ur hotmail, if u can, so we can talk bout the rims....

nchallah u get ur c36

1 question though, is the fuel consumption huge with a c36? and a c43?

Abuimad
12-17-2005, 03:10 AM
wel its much more than a c230 thats for sure
and 14 is kinda lil for my car since some ppl will pay about 15 for it, but since im selling it reall fast then im gonna have to settle for 14
the c43 fuel consuption is about 18/23 miles per gallon...city/highway
the c36 is about 18 mpg / 24 mpg so they are almost the same

iced
12-18-2005, 12:25 AM
man bil tankeh 2addeh!!!
how much is a gallon btw

and wht's the fuel consumption on ur car (actual and not on books)

and r those numbers ma3 tiftee7?

Abuimad
12-18-2005, 02:25 AM
lol ok
i actualy dont know about the converstion between gallons & litres and those numbers are book bumbers so akeeeed no tafteih, and i never actualy 3ayaret my car bas im thinking about 200 bil tankeh
how much does ur's make

iced
12-18-2005, 03:09 AM
lol man i'm sure not 200/tankeh (tankeh=20l)
ana mine ma3 tiftee7, exccessively tiftee7!!, about 165-170km/20L, if in normal driving i think about 205km/20L, and with the new airfilter, it's even more efficient...

Abuimad
12-18-2005, 07:56 AM
btw i saw a c36 i bought it..im checking it tomorow to finalise the deal..and im picking it up (iza indefe) on thursday i hope :D :D :D :D

iced
12-18-2005, 10:20 AM
hope it turns out fo ur own good...

btw is t black with 16" and a fender? coz i may have seen it 2day

and keep us updated...

Abuimad
12-18-2005, 10:29 AM
17 inch and stock
ill pick it up and ill show it to u after the vacation :D
plus we need to get u some rimms, i might b able to take mine out of the car b4 i sell it if so ill give them to u cheap ill c what the guy tells me

iced
12-18-2005, 11:32 AM
thnx in advance man,

back to my thread:
are my numbers good for a c180, or can it be improved furthermore? plz guys stay honest
9.8sec 0-100km-h (0/62)
195 max speed

Abuimad
12-18-2005, 11:56 AM
it can be improved but it depends how much are you willing to spend, cheap mods wont shave of secounds, its those expensive ones that would..so its up to you