PDA

View Full Version : 94 c220 oil leak

aliitlerusty
12-15-2005, 03:52 PM
:( HI, I AM NEW HERE, MY USER NAME SHOULD BE ALITTLERUSTY NOT ALIITLERUSTY. MY 94 C220 IS LEAKING OIL FROM WHAT LOOKS LIKE THE TOP OR PASSENGER SIDE OF THE HEAD OR VALVE COVER. 136K MILES. THE OIL RUNS DOWN ONTO THE AIR PUMP HOSE AND BODY. DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA OR THE SAME PROBLEM?

Polestar
12-16-2005, 05:02 AM
Valve cover leaks are generally more of a nusiance than a mechanical problem.
However, if yours is causing damage to another part or leaking profusly, you'll need to replace the valve cover gasket.
This is not a major job.

aliitlerusty
12-16-2005, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the help. I had a chance to look a little closer today at the leak and it is coming from the cam magnet assembly. Does anyone know if there is a gasket or oring under the mag. assembly or is it the cam seal?

benzaddict
12-16-2005, 05:58 PM
Cam adjuster magnets are just sealed with sealant, no o-rings or seals, just the three bolts and sealant. Your oil leak may be coming from the front head gasket bolts. There are '4' 6mm allen-head bolts that attatch the cylinder head to the front cover and they come loose and oil leaks past. It is fairly common on the early M111 engines. If you pull off the valve cover you can see them in the very front. Unfortunately you'll need to pull the cam adjuster(intake) and cam gear(exhaust) off to access 2 of the bolts, but at least you usually don't have to pull the head to fix the leak. Good luck...:)