PDA

View Full Version : C230 Custom REAL Cold Air with Pics

OCKlasse
12-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Hey guys this is my custom cold air for my 98 C230 non-komp. It was all made from 3" aluminum piping and has an AEM bypass valve. I feel significantly more "pull" especially when the car kicks down into a lower gear. Tell me what you guys think!

I added the additional piping from the Throttlebody to the MAS. The throttle response is definately quicker from the addition of the piping.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/trefiveincognito/Cold%20Air/DSC05059.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/trefiveincognito/Cold%20Air/DSC05055.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/trefiveincognito/Cold%20Air/DSC05056.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/trefiveincognito/Cold%20Air/DSC05058.jpg

*****UPDATED PICS*****

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/trefiveincognito/Cold%20Air/DSC05497.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/trefiveincognito/Cold%20Air/DSC05498.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/trefiveincognito/Cold%20Air/DSC05499.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/trefiveincognito/Cold%20Air/DSC05501.jpg

Ashkan's C280
12-26-2005, 11:49 AM
clean engine bay, and ncie job, but what is the foam thing for?

Ashkan's C280
12-26-2005, 01:16 PM
did you do it yourself, where did you get the parts, and how much did it cost?

c280nz
12-26-2005, 01:31 PM
tidy install, well done

vbrock1137
12-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Very clean, looks great. I've been considering doing a similar setup for my car for quite awhile now. Any thoughts about water being sucked up with the filter that low? That's the one thing that's held me back.

OCKlasse
12-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by vbrock1137
Very clean, looks great. I've been considering doing a similar setup for my car for quite awhile now. Any thoughts about water being sucked up with the filter that low? That's the one thing that's held me back.

The AEM bypass valve is there for that scenario. When the filter is submerged in water, air is sucked in through it. Its that black thing half way down the tube.

OCKlasse
12-26-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
clean engine bay, and ncie job, but what is the foam thing for?

That is the filter. Instead of a K&N style filter, I wanted a black foam filter to blend in well.

OCKlasse
12-26-2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
did you do it yourself, where did you get the parts, and how much did it cost?

I did the job myself. I bought all the parts on ebay; 3" Aluminum piping, filter, and bypass valve. The PVC couplings can be bought at any local hardware store. It was roughly $90-100 for everything.

Ashkan's C280
12-26-2005, 03:45 PM
still have an auction listing for these parts or if there is a special kind of ame bypass

smOKeSILVER13
12-26-2005, 05:07 PM
Did you get the bypass for the VW?

OCKlasse
12-26-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by smOKeSILVER13
Did you get the bypass for the VW?

I just bought a 3" bypass valve to work smoothly with the piping. You can buy whatever size you wish, but make sure your piping is that size as well.

SLAMMED_C
12-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by OCKlasse
Hey guys this is my custom cold air for my 98 C230 non-komp. It was all made from 3" aluminum piping and has an AEM bypass valve. I feel significantly more "pull" especially when the car kicks down into a lower gear. Tell me what you guys think!

I plan to also add additional piping all the way from the throttle body to the MAS

Nice job.. Ive done this as well, but some time ago!.. and mine is the kompressor motor....

-to inlet side of my supercharger:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/266000-266999/266992_213_full.jpg
-3" aluminium intake pipe, small k&n filter for VDO bypass valve(boost releif):
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/266000-266999/266992_212_full.jpg
-aem bypass valve:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/266000-266999/266992_277_full.jpg
-k&n cone filter:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/266000-266999/266992_278_full.jpg

OCKlasse
12-29-2005, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
Nice job.. Ive done this as well, but some time ago!.. and mine is the kompressor motor....

-to inlet side of my supercharger:

-3" aluminium intake pipe, small k&n filter for VDO bypass valve(boost releif):

-aem bypass valve:

-k&n cone filter:

that looks great! I wish I had pics...unfortunately I don't believe I do anymore...but my dad had an slk230 with a custom cold air and they incorporated the bypass valve into the intake, it was a rather odd, but awesome design. It really made the car whine. I will attempt to find some pics...

Ashkan's C280
01-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by omeyhomey
i hate to say it but thats not a real cold air intake. The bypass valve makes it just like any other open filter intake kit. The only way you can clasify that as true cold air is get rid of the bypass valves. Yes i know its there b/c of the filter being really low, but if you want "REAL cold air" you are going to have to make that sacrifice. Nonetheless its still a decent job. congrats

see that I don't understand... why does an aem bypass not make it a real cold air intake?

K_Sport Driver
01-12-2006, 10:28 AM
because although the filter is in a spot where cold air is present, air is still entering the intake via the bypass, which is in a warmer spot.

Grech
01-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Awesome job!

Just a couple of questions. I am really a beginner in engine/intake/exhaust modding.

1) Does this intake setup have any harmful side effects on the engine or MAS sensor in any way, or on anything else?

2) Does your intake alter the sound of your car? Better or worse? Beefier?

Thanks a lot in advance.

K_Sport Driver
01-12-2006, 01:44 PM
the intake will make the car louder. metal resonates louder than the stock plastic, and since it's less restrictive, it's more open, and the noise of the motor isn't as baffled.

the only negative aspect will be a higher fuel consumption. it improves aspiration by allowing more air into the manifold more quickly, and the ecu compensates for the extra air by injecting more fuel. oh, and the sound, although it can give it a sportier growl.

SLAMMED_C
01-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by K_Sport Driver
because although the filter is in a spot where cold air is present, air is still entering the intake via the bypass, which is in a warmer spot.
well Im pretty sure that the AEM bypass valve only really allows air through it when there is a restriction in the air intake stream.. thus only allowing air through it when it is say submerged under water..
air will realy only flow in great volumes through a path of the least resistance.. you MAY get some air coming through the bypass, but I honestly doubt that it will affect the "cold air intake" set up.

SLAMMED_C
01-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Grech
Awesome job!

Just a couple of questions. I am really a beginner in engine/intake/exhaust modding.

1) Does this intake setup have any harmful side effects on the engine or MAS sensor in any way, or on anything else?

2) Does your intake alter the sound of your car? Better or worse? Beefier?

Thanks a lot in advance.
depending on how you set up your intake you can run into trouble with a failing MAS.. with any aftermarket reusable filter.. just make sure that you do not over oil it in any way.. the excess oil from the filter will ruin your MAS.

an intake with a custom filter set up will make more noise.. just the noise of rushing air going through it.. sounds pretty tough!
you may experience slightly poorer fuel economy.. but I doubt it will be noticable.
and you will for sure have quicker throttle response.

smOKeSILVER13
01-12-2006, 04:48 PM
depending on how you set up your intake you can run into trouble with a failing MAS.. with any aftermarket reusable filter.. just make sure that you do not over oil it in any way.. the excess oil from the filter will ruin your MAS.

an intake with a custom filter set up will make more noise.. just the noise of rushing air going through it.. sounds pretty tough!
you may experience slightly poorer fuel economy.. but I doubt it will be noticable.
and you will for sure have quicker throttle response.

Hey, where did you get your strut tower braces?

SLAMMED_C
01-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by smOKeSILVER13
Hey, where did you get your strut tower braces?
I got them from Wiechers sport in Germany... I dealt with them directly.. I emailed them form the website...
Wiechers (http://www.wiechers-sport.de/)

smOKeSILVER13
01-12-2006, 05:28 PM
I got them from Wiechers sport in Germany... I dealt with them directly.. I emailed them form the website...
Wiechers (http://www.wiechers-sport.de/)

Thanks.

OCKlasse
04-02-2006, 09:56 PM
*CHECK FIRST PAGE FOR UPDATED PICS WITH ADDITIONAL PIPING*

Sn0rKy
04-02-2006, 11:04 PM
thats one very very clean install.... Looks awesome
did you get the piping that goes over the motor on ebay too?

rollinrealbig
04-02-2006, 11:14 PM
yea this setup really has my attention ... where and $$$ of the total ? It may have been posted but Im too lazy to go through and read everything. and when you say "not to over oil your filter" what do you mean ? how much is too much ? LoL

202rules
04-03-2006, 07:02 AM
That turned out very good looking and I like how the crossover pipe goes directly into the throttle body without an additional horizontal corner.

Just curious, did your original crossover pipe have the two small holes that go into the engine from the top? And does your new setup have them?

K_Sport Driver
04-03-2006, 09:27 AM
is that the plastic build-an-intake thing they sell at auto zone? I was wondering how that'd work.

OCKlasse
04-03-2006, 04:37 PM
well to answer some questions...

- I have a foam filter and I don't plan on oiling it at all

- My OEM does not have holes in it I believe

- yeah those corner pieces are from Pep Boys...I did not realize they were plastic until I came home, which sucks a little bit, but oh well...I definately had to cut the 90 degree because it was far too high, and as for that breather, man does that require a lot of modding! The hole is much larger than the breather was designed for, so a rubber piece had to be cut to fit the shape. The straight piece between MAS and TB is a left-over piece from my previous intake build.

-I would say all-in-all you are looking at probably $120ish dollars for everything not including a lot of trial and error.

Let me just tell you again how different the car reacts after adding that piece! The throttle is very sensitive now which is great, considering it would take a good second before to have any sort of revving.

I am sure foil wrapping all the pieces and putting high temp paint on them would yield a lil better power, but man it looks too good to mess with :cool:

The LO C
04-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Looks like a robot arm is coming out of your engine bay. In all seriousness, nice job.

OCKlasse
08-07-2006, 07:52 PM
well...after doing a little research, I have ordered some 50ft x 2in black exhaust heat wrap and ties to wrap the entire intake with. I have found this as to be the only way to really improve upon the system, so we'll see! I'll keep you updated as the project moves along. I know I am sacrificing aesthetics for small gains, but with a N/A 4 cylinder, you get desperate :p

rollinrealbig
08-07-2006, 08:36 PM
OCKlasse your not SC'd ???? wtf i just noticed that :confused:

97C28O
08-07-2006, 09:40 PM
any try this http://www.weapon-r.com/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=3723087.12937*UF1ZS0&p_id=654&xm=on&ppinc=search2

WEAPON R SECRET WEAPON INTAKE

kevinzorz
09-28-2006, 06:06 PM
is the whole thing just "floating" there, do you need to to secure it somehow other than at the engine inlet?

black96benz
09-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Anyone that has driven around with a scangauge knows that the difference between the outside air temp and the intake air temp is no more than a degree. If your intake air temp sensor is seperate and close the the throttle body, the heat from the engine will throw off the sensor. There is no way around this, mercedes knew what they were doing when they put the intake in the grill. The only benefit would be more air entering, but then the car would run lean. Just some solid facts!!

OCKlasse
09-29-2006, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by kevinzorz
is the whole thing just "floating" there, do you need to to secure it somehow other than at the engine inlet?

yeah...I have been too lazy to make a bracket for it :p ...it's suspended there fine though

krappy
10-10-2006, 09:51 AM
that filter you put on the vavle cover, i forget what its called, is it just generic?

OCKlasse
10-10-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by krappy
that filter you put on the vavle cover, i forget what its called, is it just generic?

yeah...it's just a breather you buy at any car parts store...

mike mac
04-05-2007, 08:12 AM
i drilled 2 holes in the bottom of my intake where the bolts go for the original intake...then used Benz silicon sealer...its been holing up nicely

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f211/mike1mac15/DSCN3959.jpg

blackc230
04-08-2007, 10:38 PM
awsome stuff..exactly what I'm after

hows the clearance under the bonnet? I took a peek at my current factory setup the plastic pipe just touches the heat protector underneath the bonnet.

mike mac
04-09-2007, 08:13 AM
i cant give you the measurements, but i can tell you its far back enough so it wont touch ( over the factory bolts that hold the original intake) . it doesnt rub against the hood or anythign.

blackc230
04-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by mike mac
i cant give you the measurements, but i can tell you its far back enough so it wont touch ( over the factory bolts that hold the original intake) . it doesnt rub against the hood or anythign.

sweet..it's time for me to work on it

blackc230
04-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Just wondering, what holds your intake pipe in place?

What I'm planning to do is to custom-made an intake pipe, but instead of using 90 deg angled pipe, I'll be using rubber. And I'm planning to put the filter behing the headlight, where the the factory airbox sits. Then run a hose from behind the bumper to the filter.

The reason I'm doing this is because in here we have a chornic flooding problem. Secondly, I cannot find anyone here who sell bypass valve.

any suggestion?

thanks

OCKlasse
04-30-2007, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by blackc230
Just wondering, what holds your intake pipe in place?

What I'm planning to do is to custom-made an intake pipe, but instead of using 90 deg angled pipe, I'll be using rubber. And I'm planning to put the filter behing the headlight, where the the factory airbox sits. Then run a hose from behind the bumper to the filter.

The reason I'm doing this is because in here we have a chornic flooding problem. Secondly, I cannot find anyone here who sell bypass valve.

any suggestion?

thanks

My intake is just held in place by the way it's designed...ideally I should make some mounts for it, but I've been too lazy to...it's fine.

mike mac
05-01-2007, 05:49 PM
go online and find a AEM bypass valve ( ebay, AEM...etc) to me the filter sitting in the engine bay with no air flow ( less the hot engine air and maybe some fresh air) is usless cause the original box is almost like ram air in a sense, but the box is connected with the outside behind the grill ( direct flow of fresh cool air is being blow and sucked in, if the filter is in the engine bay you may get some air blown in but it isnt the same)

id go with the design i did....filter in the bumper, then AEM bypass where the Box was and over the engine, in the engine.

i hope this makes sense

blackc230
05-02-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by mike mac
go online and find a AEM bypass valve ( ebay, AEM...etc) to me the filter sitting in the engine bay with no air flow ( less the hot engine air and maybe some fresh air) is usless cause the original box is almost like ram air in a sense, but the box is connected with the outside behind the grill ( direct flow of fresh cool air is being blow and sucked in, if the filter is in the engine bay you may get some air blown in but it isnt the same)

id go with the design i did....filter in the bumper, then AEM bypass where the Box was and over the engine, in the engine.

i hope this makes sense

I totally agree to what you are saying and I'd really really love to have THE REAL cold air intake setup. But as I mentioned earlier, I dont wanna take the risk of my engine is sucking water when going thru a puddle of water. I know you might think what kinda person I am to drive my merc into a puddle of water...

Sometimes here in Jakarta we are forced to do this due to extremely congested traffic condition. Once we're trapped the only way to go is forward which sometimes means driving into the puddle of water..sounds crazy?? thats traffic in Jakarta :)

Unless I can get the bypass from the Ebay, I'd stick to my initial intention..unfortunately.

OCKlasse,
I'm just wondering if you can do me a little favour..I went to a muffler shop yesterday showing a pic of your intake (sorry for not asking before printing it out :D ) He said he needed a rough measurement of the pipes (the length). Could you tell me, roughly, the length of the pipe that goes over the engine cover, and the rest of the pipes you got? I'm planning to do it myself and I dont have proper tools to cut the pipe.
thanks in advance, mate

mike mac
05-02-2007, 09:27 PM
the piping maybe a problem...and the best bet would be a hacksaw or saw-zaw. but as you said u dont have the tools, but you will need to customize it as your doing it. my best bet would be take a tape measure and measure across. sorry im not much help

OCKlasse
05-02-2007, 10:16 PM
I totally agree to what you are saying and I'd really really love to have THE REAL cold air intake setup. But as I mentioned earlier, I dont wanna take the risk of my engine is sucking water when going thru a puddle of water. I know you might think what kinda person I am to drive my merc into a puddle of water...

Sometimes here in Jakarta we are forced to do this due to extremely congested traffic condition. Once we're trapped the only way to go is forward which sometimes means driving into the puddle of water..sounds crazy?? thats traffic in Jakarta :)

Unless I can get the bypass from the Ebay, I'd stick to my initial intention..unfortunately.

OCKlasse,
I'm just wondering if you can do me a little favour..I went to a muffler shop yesterday showing a pic of your intake (sorry for not asking before printing it out :D ) He said he needed a rough measurement of the pipes (the length). Could you tell me, roughly, the length of the pipe that goes over the engine cover, and the rest of the pipes you got? I'm planning to do it myself and I dont have proper tools to cut the pipe.
thanks in advance, mate

I'll get to that hopefully this weekend for you

blackc230
05-03-2007, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by OCKlasse
I'll get to that hopefully this weekend for you

thanks a lot mate...appreciate it

blackc230
05-07-2007, 08:08 AM
Another question I have in mind..
putting the filter behind the bumper means that it's closer to the ground. The road here is not as clean as in any other countries. They're very very dusty and pollution is one of the worst.

Will this condition affect the filteration?
which filter is the best to filter out dirt? Any effect on the engine? I dont want my engine to suck more dust

thanks

OCKlasse
05-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Another question I have in mind..
putting the filter behind the bumper means that it's closer to the ground. The road here is not as clean as in any other countries. They're very very dusty and pollution is one of the worst.

Will this condition affect the filteration?
which filter is the best to filter out dirt? Any effect on the engine? I dont want my engine to suck more dust

thanks

If you get an AEM dryflow filter (no oiling) and replace it yearly (if it looks like it needs it), you'll be fine.