PDA

View Full Version : front and rear flex discs cracked

brent
12-28-2005, 07:15 AM
How the heck did this happen and is it easy to fix. 2001 e320 wagon. Can is make handling unstable? I am new to Mercedes. I am used to working on Volvos. thanks for you help

Sulaco
12-28-2005, 07:27 AM
If you're any bit aware of what a "universal joint" is (mostly on American rear-wheel-drive cars) then the easiest way to explain it is that the flex disc is the Mercedes equivalent. Does the same job, but it's made of a rubber material. It's very strong and seems to outlast it's steel american counterpart, but if one of them fails, you're looking at a total catastrophe. Go to www.importeccatalog.com and order them. I had mine replaced at the dealership along with a failing drive-shaft center support bearing for $800. I was on my way home to replace my flex discs, but the dealer told me my old flex discs failing is what caused my driveshaft center-support bearing to fail. If I'd gone any longer the driveshaft would have turned into wrecking ball destroying the underside of my car.

But as far as any effect on handling? I can't imagine it would. (but I am sometimes poorly mistaken)

SLAMMED_C
12-28-2005, 05:13 PM
flex disc.. or they are known as hardy discs as well. they go inbetween the driveshaft and transmission/driveshaft and diff.
if these fail you are asking for some major damage. DO NOT leave them and let them get worse.
if you leave the worn hardy disc and it comes apart.. it can cause the drive shaft to seperate from the hardy disc, the driveshaft can then hit against the transmisison tunnel.. causing the airbags to go off inside the car (the crash sensor for the airbags is located behind the ashtray on the transmission tunnel!!)
they arent that much of a DIY job.. but they can be done. (they are hard to get at depending on the model of car)
Id recommend either the dealer or a good independant benz shop to replace them.

coolin
12-29-2005, 08:51 AM
I had an indy shop provide an estimate on doing the flex discs on my car and the estimate (despite lower parts costs) was equal to that of an MB dealer (due to less hours).

I believe MB shop time is <2 hours to change the flex discs on a W202. They may have a special tool to help extracting the flex bolts by the transmission as the indy shop estimated 4+ hours.

Sulaco
12-29-2005, 10:45 AM
My indie shop tries to screw me over every chance they get. I once took it in for the 100kmile tune-up. He said "it will be about 150." Ended up being $850. For no obvious reason. Being a 17 year old kid with the money, I didn't even question it. I should have bombed that place.