PDA

View Full Version : The Speedybenz Is DEAD, The Car Of Course!

speedybenz
01-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Yesterday while out driving I came around a 55mph corner doing about that and while the road was very wet the car was working well, that is until I hit this small stream of water runnning across the road.

When the rear tires hit this thick layer of running water they came around very fast. I mean really fast, and because they were hydoplaning the ESP could not do much to correct the problem and while I did get ahold of it, the passenger side front and rear tires had already got over the curbing and were headed down the 12 feet high embankment. Well the rest of the car followed suit and while I kept it off the big 3 feet diameter rocks.

But the car hit the bottom of the enbankment with a thud and bent it up pretty bad. I hope the thing is not bent so bad as to be a total. I had just finished installing the velocity stacks and it really inproved the lower, mid and high range power.

Using my Nology PDA and the dyno program I saw a 20Hp increase in power up to 302hp......And all this from a starting point around 240 to 250 about a year ago or maybe longer. The manifold work I did, the headers, cats and no backpressure exhaust along with the ram air system, bored out MAF light wheels and brakes. I sure hope I can get it repaired.

I am OK except for a really hurtful back which X-rays today showed no breaks.

I am soooooo upset though, I really loved driving that car, it just did everything well.

Jeffhttp://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/kimdac/crash.jpg http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/kimdac/crash2.jpg http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/kimdac/DSC04926.jpg

c55m8o
01-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Holy crap ... the blood rushed to my head when I started reading the headline ... then re-read and it sunk in. Don't Do That! (yikes)

Oh man ... there are no words I can say. I'm sooo pained to hear that. So glad just some bumps and bruises to you. But that car... what a loss. Yes, hopefully it's just bodywork and recoverable.

Renn 208
01-03-2006, 10:07 PM
Crap man! Glad to hear you're okay. If there's one thing I know about you...it's that you bounce back from these things like no one else...And the next version of the ride just gets wilder and wilder. Stay safe, thanks for doing what you do, and I hope all goes well with the car.

No one's immune from a mishap, but how many of us out there could end an accident post about how much he gained from the latest homebrew mod?:p

Jeff, you crack me up, and scare the shit out of me. All in a good way.

Take care and a Speedy recovery.

SpEeDy230
01-03-2006, 10:18 PM
Damn Jeff....Hope youre gonna be ok.
I hope that car is ok too, I dont want to see such a beautiful car get totalled.
Good luck

jnenad16
01-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Oh nooooooo! Jeff, your posts and your car mods are the reason I joined this site. In a way, I consider you my mentor(althought we never met). this is heartbreaking to me as it is to you. I am glad so hear you are OK. I hope your car will be, too.

Best wishes,
Nenad

Abuimad
01-03-2006, 10:41 PM
ahh damn man sounds very serious, to hell with the car, glad ur aight, so is the car in any way repairable or is it a total bust ??

btw this site is now declared jinxed...so many members crashing ??

jnolte
01-03-2006, 10:55 PM
oh no!

glad to hear you are okay though jeff..

get that beauty fixed and going again!

crazy00c230k
01-04-2006, 12:04 AM
o man, that sux, hope its not totaled and glad that ur ok~

Renn 208
01-04-2006, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by Abuimad

btw this site is now declared jinxed...so many members crashing ??

BTW, it's not just this site, it's the season, and unfortunately it's a possibility at all times.

And not to get all morbid about things, but MBworld lost a 17 year old member in an accident only days ago. And not too long ago, 6speedonline lost a rather prominent member as well.

I hope I never have to hear that anyone on these forums has lost their life in an accident. So please everyone take care of themselves, and be safe out there.

smOKeSILVER13
01-04-2006, 04:34 AM
How is that done? :cool:

c55m8o
01-04-2006, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by Abuimad
btw this site is now declared jinxed...so many members crashing ?? no, by my count that's 3; it's done. (and I dont' wanna know if that's wrong).

smOKeSILVER13
01-04-2006, 05:11 AM
the engine runs, the EEC looks at the air meter voltage and converts this to an airflow value. This airflow value is used to calculate a term called Load. Load is roughly VE and is determined by the ratio of incoming air over how much the engine can hold. If the air meter tells the EEC it is measuring 50 CFM of air and the engine can hold 100 CFM, then 50 / 100 = .5 (Load) or 50% (VE). Actually, the EEC doesn't measure in CFM, since CFM is a VOLUME measurement and the MAF sensor measures the incoming air by MASS. CFM is a bit easier to understand and the result is the same. Now that the EEC has the Load value, it can go to it's fuel lookup tables and get the A/F ratio the engine should be operating at based on Load and RPM (fig 3). With this number, and by using some math, it figures out how much pulsewidth to give the injectors based on how much air is entering the engine. Since it knows both airflow and injector size, it's not that difficult a task. The more air, the more fuel is needed which means the injectors need to be pulsed at a larger pulsewidth. This applies in Open Loop mode only, where the EEC isn't looking at the O2 sensors. During Closed Loop where the EEC IS looking at the O2 sensors, the A/F lookup table is not used. The O2 sensors basically tell the EEC what A/F ratio it needs to run at. Of course there is a lot more to this whole situation as the EEC must also do compensations for things such as engine coolant temp, intake manifold temp, barometric pressure and the accelerator pump, because they all affect how much fuel is needed. We won't go into all of the compensation routines in this article, since it would make things way to complex for the scope of this one article.

So basically bored MAF means reprogrammed ECU?

smOKeSILVER13
01-04-2006, 05:21 AM
Or is it removing the grid mesh in the MAF body?

c55m8o
01-04-2006, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by smOKeSILVER13
Or is it removing the grid mesh in the MAF body? Plus increasing its inner diameter. There's a great old old thread on it. unfortunately the pix are no longer available as the hosting site doesn't appear to be up.

Abuimad
01-04-2006, 07:21 AM
i had my accident on tuesday..friday i was on my back home when my friend looses control of his e240 we hit the guard rail pretty hard (left side of the car is messed up), in that same spot 3 other accidents have happened, yesterday i hear a person from my city died with his brother on the way back home...my friends grandfather died on monday also on the road.........its definetly the season...as much as i love winter and rain..i hate driving in it....

Denlasoul
01-04-2006, 10:35 AM
Holy crap, Jeff!!!!!! Glad you are ok.

Let me know if I can help.

Ashkan's C280
01-04-2006, 10:55 AM
glad you're ok man, when are you going to get the car into the shop to see the damage costs? What is insurance saying about this? I hope they are not dicks to you about this... and if your car is totaled, another 202 for jeff? are you parting this one out? and great idea Velocity Stacks I am reading about that now, good idea!

Ashkan's C280
01-04-2006, 11:00 AM
you also did evo pullies and heat spacers right?

Androulakis
01-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Holy crap!

Glad to see you are ok, and hope everything is truly ok with your back. Back injuries can be very troublesome.

My god, that just proves that this can basically happen to anyone, at any given moment, when you are least expecting it.

From what I have read, you are an extremely good driver, with a lot of seat time in that car, but luck just isnt on our side sometimes.

Hope it all works out well for you!

Best wishes and take care,

George

c55m8o
01-04-2006, 04:50 PM
How you feel'n today Jeff? Hope'n you're not too beat-up, being the day after.

I see you have pix up now ... ouch. I like the front bumper mod tho ... looks like the stock straight bar bumper I have on my Jeep... :p (hope it's not too soon for some levity) The tires look like they have good tread. How deep is the tread on the back tires? That must have been a lot of volume of water to disrupt the car like that. ...man...

Can only imagine the underside. I'm hope'n what you show is the extent of it, and that the other side and rear isn't the same. What do you think? Like AJ says, I don't know of anyone else to bounce back from adversity as what I've come to know about you. My hopes are with you. ...and hope'n insurance will cover it 100%!

...and when you're up for it, I can't for the life of me figure out how you're using velocity stacks w/o taking the manifold out of the picture. When I think velocity stacks I think the M3/M5 intakes... Could you enlighten us?

Incredible what you got that 4.3L to put to the ground ... about the same peak power to the rear wheels as I have with my 5.4L and stock everything else w/heavier wheels.... congrats and major props! :cool: I gotta get on some of the mods you've done this summer...

J Irwan
01-04-2006, 05:02 PM
Wow ...Jeff..
Sorry to hear about your accident.

I am just glad you're okay....
at times like that, thing could be beyond our control...

The car can always be replaced, and you could look at it as another opportunity to start new project... :)

Regardz,

J Irwan

jstrat85
01-04-2006, 05:53 PM
wow holy shit that sucks ball! you work so hard to make something that you like so much and just in a flash what you worked for so hard goes down the drain! that fuckin sucks! listen fuck the car. its just sheet metal. bones and flesh is hard to replace, you can start on a new project! you should learn from your mistakes and thank God that nothing happened to you because it could have been 100X worse! good luck and get back to work on making another monster;)

john

Ashkan's C280
01-04-2006, 06:18 PM
that looks pretty bad man, hopefully its not a total, but it looks bad

Renn 208
01-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Your car is dirty. I think it needs a wash.

SLAMMED_C
01-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!
well at least you are okay Jeff.. thats whats important here. the car can be fixed (hopefully) or replaced, but you my good man cannot.
sorry to hear about the C43.. that is such an amazing car.. I guess you will just have to rebuild it again.. batter then before.
any word on what needs replacing yet?

The_Wrocket
01-04-2006, 07:42 PM
I am glad that you are ok. I had something like that happen to me just a week ago. Problem is that they actually totalled my car, and hopefully they wont run that route on your car.

Oh yeah, where were you when you got into the accident? I know the area of Placer\El Dorado\Folsom fairly well. I hit a tree on the corner of Riley and Oak Ave. Parkway in Folsom.

Here are some pix though. I hit a damn tree.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/justinwrock/IMG_3554.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albms/a63/justinwrock/400e002g.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/justinwrock/400e005g.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/justinwrock/400e004g.jpg

rollinrealbig
01-04-2006, 07:45 PM
screw the car, if your Ok, then the car will be ok ... if not this one then another one.

I see thats alot of hard work in that ... but now you have experiance!

get well man!

;)

rollinrealbig
01-04-2006, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by The_Wrocket
[B]I am glad that you are ok. I had something like that happen to me just a week ago. Problem is that they actually totalled my car, and hopefully they wont run that route on your car.

Oh yeah, where were you when you got into the accident? I know the area of Placer\El Dorado\Folsom fairly well. I hit a tree on the corner of Riley and Oak Ave. Parkway in Folsom.

Here are some pix though. I hit a damn tree.

... yea like who put those damn tree's there ? HuH ? LoL so are you going to fix that MB or dump it ?

aintME
01-04-2006, 07:55 PM
a car is just a car. the most important thing is that you walked away. glad to hear that you are ok. :)

c55m8o
01-04-2006, 08:32 PM
I told one of my friends about this.... I took a picture of his reaction... what timing!

http://images14.fotki.com/v248/photos/2/296054/3053068/vadernooooo1-vi.jpg

Teck
01-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Darn sorry to hear about those 2 crashes! Glad you're all ok!

Speedbenz: I hop your baby isn't totalled!

trymonlam
01-04-2006, 11:25 PM
here to pay respect as well. glad u r alright, jeff. gotta agree with other members here, as long as u r ok, we all believe that your car will be up and running better than ever very soon.

take care, buddy.

The_Wrocket
01-05-2006, 05:16 AM
She got totalled as there was frame damage up fron. The frame got shifted to the right quite a bit.

Not the Speedybenz doesn't look so bad. I needs some suspension up front (tires pushed back) good wash, paint, and of course body kit, etc. However, did the airbags deploy? If they did, those items are a good chunk of money to replace....

714guy
01-05-2006, 07:24 AM
Sorry, about the news Jeff. Glad you excaped with no serious injuries. Let me know in you need any help. Hope you're feelin better.

jstrat85
01-05-2006, 05:22 PM
guys, what are velocity stacks? and how much do they go for?

coolcarlskic43
01-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Man! Thank God you're ok,forget the car !You can always fix that..

About those velocity stacks?

JDoggery
01-05-2006, 08:04 PM
oh man that really suks. glad to hear you're ok.

trust068
01-06-2006, 12:51 AM
wow that sucks but i am glad you are ok. you have plan to repair the car or just find a new chasis?

^^^ velocity stack, is it a modified intake duct?

Alps
01-06-2006, 01:21 AM
glad your ok dude, cars can always be fixed, harder to fix humans!

knvs
01-06-2006, 06:59 AM
nooo... thats so sad to hear. but the most important thing is that no one was hurt.

c280nz
01-08-2006, 01:47 AM
R.I.P to your infamous c43 jeff.
it is a great shame, especially with all the work you have put into it!

REMUS
01-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Yea thats really a shame bro, but the main thing is that didnt get hurt!!