PDA

View Full Version : Buying a 97 C36

Dj Jean T.
07-16-2003, 05:56 PM
im about to buy a white 1997 C36 with 19k km on the odo, fully loaded even mercedes original cd changer and i want to know what is the most common flaw in these cars, what should i look for beafore buying.

thanx

98_Benzo
07-16-2003, 07:50 PM
Thier biggest flaw is................They are faster then my car!!! Have fun lucky!!!

J Irwan
07-17-2003, 12:16 PM
Jean

welcome..

and please read this thread..

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22513&perpage=10&highlight=c36%20common%20problem&pagenumber=1

Actually there is another thread at www.bnzsport.com however it was lost due to some disastrous event with the server...

anyway..

I don't know if you own any other mercedes before or not..

But on the C36, C43 and other AMG model that came equipped with bigger wheel and lower profiles tires..
ball joint will worn out faster.
flex-disc might need to be replace (due to high torque these AMG car produce) however if the owener never drag-race the car, normally it would not be an issue.
steering shock/sterring damper will also worn out faster on these cars.

Those above eventually would worn out as on non-AMG car as well, just they worn out faster on AMG car due to bigger wheel, lo profile tires, and stiffer suspension setup.

now regarding wiring harness it is most found to affect 95 C36 here is US.
Head gasket is know to leak on earlier car 95 C36 and on mid prod of 96 C36 the redesign the gasket. Theorically the 97 should not affected, but I would just watch out for any oil leak.
Coil end so far reported to fail on 95 and 96 C36....(this you just need to replace when its broken. You'll feel you car running on less than 6 cyl ;))
MAF sensor would need to replaced at some point (but don't anything if its not broken)

I have my C36 for 3 years now and the only thing I have to replace is the belt tensioner which making some noises. ( I replaced this 6 month after I own the car and it was covered under MB warranty)
And 2 months ago my MAF (71,000 miles on the clock) sensor gone bad and need to be replace.. (it was covered by warranty)
and recently my A/C condensor is leaking.. (I am told by the MB mechanic that it is common on W202 - leaking condensor that is)..

Other than that I just filled the gas , change oil, and drive...

Oh andn if you search the forum you'll find that some C36 will have alot of problem some are not.
I would be very carefull when buying C36, if the previous owner didn't take a good care of the car then watch out for a big service-bill later... if the car has low mileage and in a very good condition then you should have nothing to worry about..

by the way 19k km should equivalent to about 13000 miles..
damn mate, that is a low mileage car. Bloody low..
should feel like new..

However if you do purchase this car,
here is the following that I would do
Oil change,
replace all the spark-plug with fresh plug.
check the air filter if it need to be replaced..
and replace the fuel filter..
check the fan-belt for any crack, ff there cracks present then replace the belt.

The reason I'd replace those above items so that the car performance would be optimum and you can definitely enjoy the car more... ;)

Good luck, and post some pic once you got the car

(edit: grammar)

Regardz,

Dj Jean T.
07-17-2003, 12:46 PM
well i own an euro 1985 16v and and euro 1998 E55 AMG so far nthing wrong with the E55, so all that i have to worry about is taking care of it like i take care of my other precious, hmmm i gues ill have premature wear in suspension and steering parts on the E55 too......any reasons why i shouldnt buy? the deal is almost closed, the C36 is going to be a problem because its bulletproof and the steering and suspension will wear out even faster...ahh who cares, are suspension and steering parts hard to DIY on these cars ? are they expensive?

thanx for all the great info guys

kameraguy
07-17-2003, 03:26 PM
J- excellent breakdown. Personally I have had some of the major problems happen to my car:

Tranny broke
Headgasket Leak

And some minor:

Flexdisc worn out
Front ball joint worn out

I would like to think my car is a rare exception as i've had these problems. But I know others have also had similar issues with non-amg MB.

So maybe this depends on how lucky you are, and as J pointed out, how good the previous owner kept the car.

I did all the basics such as change oil, spark plugs, air filter, tranny fluid, etc... when I purchased my car used. But I still was not able to avoid these problems....damage must have already been done.

Now as for a WHITE C36, I don't recall seeing one in this color. That would be neat to see :)