PDA

View Full Version : transmission help..

sanf
01-11-2006, 01:33 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~sanf38/wsb/media/oil.jpg

it looks like my tranny is leaking oil. my question is where do I add it, I want to refill it before it totally burns out. also, would it be my gasket? thanks

Ethan
01-11-2006, 04:12 PM
the trans fill tube has a red and black cap, the tube is on the passenger side of engine rear.

I think there can be a plastic cover that can leak on the transmission.

you have to be super careful when adding fluid to these transmissions, they are very sensitive to overfilling.

do a search at www.mercedesshop.com
also the trans is known as a 722.6
this may help you define your search

JOESID
01-12-2006, 06:24 AM
You may want to pay $250-$300 to have it flushed. They will put a new seal on the pan. I just had mine done and it wasn't a big deal.

sanf
01-12-2006, 06:33 AM
i guess so. is this a common problem? i hope its not a like crack on my tranny or something.

kameraguy
01-12-2006, 07:51 AM
My freakin' tranny is leaking too so i have to add oil in mine as well.

My mechanic helps me out with this. When he does it he explains you have to have be careful not to overfill it. He uses this snake-like rod to check the fluid level. I think it's like $70 at the dealer? Anyways it seems to be crucial to have as otherwise it's impossible to tell how much you lost and how much to put in. How fast are you leaking? Are you experiencing slipping or sluggish gear changes?

I don't know if this is "common" but i know my problem is due to the improper gasket seating between the transmission and oil pan interface? This started to happen after i had my transmission rebuilt. of course I can't prove it, but it all makes sense once I found the cause to the oil leaks in my case. Costs a grip to fix. Basterds.

sanf
01-12-2006, 01:58 PM
thx for the info. i will get that tool and refill the oil. it doesnt jerk/slip too hard. but i know something will happen if it keeps on dripping like this. it drips more if i dont drive the car for a few days. some ppl say you have to fill the oil at a certain temp. why is benz making the tranny thing so hard. haha

kameraguy
01-12-2006, 02:35 PM
Oh yeah, that's right. It seems best to re-fill the tranny fluid when the car is on. At least that was what we always do. Seems to be the preferred way to go about it.

SLAMMED_C
01-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by sanf
thx for the info. i will get that tool and refill the oil. it doesnt jerk/slip too hard. but i know something will happen if it keeps on dripping like this. it drips more if i dont drive the car for a few days. some ppl say you have to fill the oil at a certain temp. why is benz making the tranny thing so hard. haha

Well it can be your transmission gasket.. or it can be the elcectrical plug (1998 and newer) I dont know what year your car is..
but if it is the gasket.. replace the gasket.. and replace the filter and fluid at the same time.. (unless it has recently been done)
if I could see your transmission I could tell you exactly where its coming from.. can you get under more to take a closer pic of where its coming from?
and there is a special dipstic you have to buy to check the trans fluid level.. its almost like a piece of the plumbers snake with a level gauge on the one end!

you need to check the transmission fluid when its at operating temperature, at 80 degrees celcius.. with the engine running (in park or neutral) you will need some sort of funnel too so you dont spill trans fluid everywhere!
hope this helps out.

sanf
01-18-2006, 06:39 AM
arite. got my car back from the dealer. the leak was from the "elcectrical seal". then as always. they found other things. driveshaft bearing worn out/leak and another thing i forgot what it was. i will type up what they have on the paperwork tonight. another 900 bucks on the w202. it's just gonna keep on coming. shyyyt.

sanf
01-21-2006, 11:54 AM
job #3 was the problem.

http://home.comcast.net/~sanf38/wsb/media/work.jpg

jnolte
01-21-2006, 04:41 PM
i gotta get my flex disc replaced too