PDA

View Full Version : check engine

GPReyes
01-18-2006, 10:21 AM
so I'm about to get a new car but so as to not neglect the trusty 202... I decided to have a 60t mile tune up chane oil and plugs.... change oil filter fuel filter....

also replaced front wheel bearing drag ling assembly and idler bushing kit...

when I got the car back there was a check engine light on...

but it's running like a dream...quick and nimble... solid on its susp...

what the hell is the check engine for? any ideas?

sometimes the signal light blinks quicker than normal...but not all the time (does that have something to do with it? or is that just a dirty contact?)

is this the dreaded harness prob? or a MAS thing?

help!

stox
01-18-2006, 01:01 PM
You are going to have to pull the code(s) before anyone here can help you.

blink
01-18-2006, 05:00 PM
have all the vacuum valve check and the egr valve.

SLAMMED_C
01-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by GPReyes
so I'm about to get a new car but so as to not neglect the trusty 202... I decided to have a 60t mile tune up chane oil and plugs.... change oil filter fuel filter....

also replaced front wheel bearing drag ling assembly and idler bushing kit...

when I got the car back there was a check engine light on...

but it's running like a dream...quick and nimble... solid on its susp...

what the hell is the check engine for? any ideas?

sometimes the signal light blinks quicker than normal...but not all the time (does that have something to do with it? or is that just a dirty contact?)

is this the dreaded harness prob? or a MAS thing?

help!

If thats the case.. then go back to who serviced your car.. have them fix it!!.. you brought it to them with no check engine light on.. and they give it back to you with one on.. WTF!!
my guess is they may have knocked a vacuum line off.. is your engine M104 (inline 6)? they may have knocked a vacuum line off when they replaced the oil filter.
but as everyone else says you will need to get the codes pulled so we can help you out.

GPReyes
01-20-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm goin to the shop today to pull the codes...there's a service charge of 80 bucks just to hook it up to the computer... is that right to you?

stox
01-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by GPReyes
I'm goin to the shop today to pull the codes...there's a service charge of 80 bucks just to hook it up to the computer... is that right to you?

You can probably buy an ODBII code reader for that amount.

GPReyes
02-15-2006, 08:58 AM
finally checked the check engine... service dude sez I need to change my air sensor..is this the dreaded MAS? how much does that cost nowadays?

staplegun
03-07-2006, 04:31 AM
Yes that is the MAF - I got one on ebay for $200 with shipping. Buy an OBDII tool they are cheap on the bay too!

67 Demon
03-08-2006, 06:11 AM
By no means am i a mechanic, but if it was the MAF, wouldn't you FEEL a difference in driveability? Just Asking?

Also, regarding the ODB II code readers, do they have limitations as to the year of vehicles they can be used on? I would assume they are primarily used on modern vehicles with electrical output. I ask this because i have a 60's model Mustang and was wondering if it would be beneficial in using it on that vehicle too. Either way, it does sound like a good idea to purchase one.

Sorry for the partial hijack.

jlomon
03-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by 67 Demon
By no means am i a mechanic, but if it was the MAF, wouldn't you FEEL a difference in driveability? Just Asking?

Also, regarding the ODB II code readers, do they have limitations as to the year of vehicles they can be used on? I would assume they are primarily used on modern vehicles with electrical output. I ask this because i have a 60's model Mustang and was wondering if it would be beneficial in using it on that vehicle too. Either way, it does sound like a good idea to purchase one.

Sorry for the partial hijack.

You might feel it, and you might not. When my MAF went, there was a pronounced rough idle, almost the way a big V8 feels when you have a really hot cam installed. But if the sensor has just begun to go out of spec, you might not feel it yet.

As far as the code reader is concerned, OBDII standards are for all cars made starting 1996. There are a few cars that met the standard prior to 1996, and Mercedes W202s were one of them (the first car that met the standard, if I remember right). So if you bought the code scanner it would be good for any car manufactured from 1996 on. Your 60's model Mustang doesn't have a computer, so there aren't any codes to read.

67 Demon
03-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by jlomon
Your 60's model Mustang doesn't have a computer, so there aren't any codes to read.

That's kinda what i figured, but did not explain it very well in my post when i wrote it.

Also, that does make sense that if his MAF is just starting to act up, it very well may be too slight/early to notice any significant differences. Good call.