PDA

View Full Version : Complete Exhaust System - C CLASS - images!!

CKlasse
07-17-2003, 02:27 PM
OEM cat and cat back

http://members.aol.com/kennetong/private/catback/P7170006.jpg

Magnaflow High Flow CAT + custom O2 sensor outlet + The biggest resonator I could get my hand on

http://members.aol.com/kennetong/private/catback/P7170001.jpg

Here is better picture of the CAT + O2 + 3' resonator

http://members.aol.com/kennetong/private/catback/P7170003.jpg

Magnaflow muffler + DTM style tips -- I am painting the muffler BLACK

http://members.aol.com/kennetong/private/catback/P7170004.jpg

Another look at the whole thing.

http://members.aol.com/kennetong/private/catback/catback01.jpg

From top....

http://members.aol.com/kennetong/private/catback/P7170008.jpg

Further Back.... (excuse the broken rear light and back window)

http://members.aol.com/kennetong/private/catback/P7170009.jpg

:) :) :) :)

speedybenz
07-17-2003, 07:46 PM
Nice, I like the bold step to use non Mercedes parts to build what is probably a better exhaust than you can buy through the MB tuners.

Now how does it work. Any resonance? How loud?

Any Seat-of-the Pants performance.

Jeff

CKlasse
07-17-2003, 08:22 PM
Thanks Jeff,

I must mention that C.Jones of BMS Racing who builds custom turbo back & cat back systems all day should get all the credits including much contributions in knowledge, facilities, and parts. :D

I don't know what kind of power I gain without the turbo. I do get better respond on the higher rpm. I will dyno the car only after everything is done. From my own experience however, a good exhaust system on a 4cyl would unlock no more than 5-7hp.

The sound is EXTREMELY nice and BEYOND my expectation. By choosing the largest resonator available to me, and by adding a muffler instead of straight through to the tip, this is the deepest tone I could ever get. It's not loud at all... in fact I was at 'Sound Advice of Denver' today and pulling up next to a C43. My car sounds almost the same during idle.. yet during WOT, it has that deep V8 growl that the C43 lacking.

The cold air intake really does help of course. The C43 guy thought I had a V8 under the hood :D :D... well the 6 car length between us sort of ruined it. He was so impressed that he and I are going to set up his exhaust system this Monday. He wants different look but the same result.

No annoying popping noises during decelaration either. In fact, the deep tone disappears as soon as I lift my foot off the pedal.

I do have one issue.. Since I am using RC injectors (for soon turbo application) which running rich at idle, the Magnaflow 'Hi-Flow' CAT burns ALL the excessive fuel (wow.. better than OEM?!). This of course heats up real quick.

The last thing I need right now is CAT that's glowing bright red!

I am thinking about swapping these new puppies with my old injectors until I can obtain all the parts I need to rebuild the engine. Any ideas on how to wash the OEM injectors? I usually use BG cleaning substance. Anything better on the market?

Thanks! :)

PS.. the cost of this whole system is less than one brandname muffler. ;)

CKlasse
07-17-2003, 08:26 PM
ignore the mistakes in my post.. I am too lazy to edit them.

speedybenz
07-17-2003, 08:31 PM
CKlasse,

You can send your stock injectors to RC and they will clean and match the spray patterns and flow rates. Pretty cheap I think and overnight type service.

Jeff

Under Pressure
07-17-2003, 10:07 PM
Nice set-up. Looks like what I did for my C220 when I had the turbo. I had DefCon Motorsports make me custom pipes (they make Supra IC pipes and downpipes). They are 2.5" mandrel bent, and I used a relatively cheap Catco catalytic converter (shop said very little restriction and awesome price at $50 wholesale!). I chose to completely remove the resonator, and you may choose to do the same when you turbo her because the turbo should significantly reduce noise of exhaust (I believe up to 3 dc).

Your car's happening!

JasonH
07-17-2003, 10:45 PM
Nice... it will make a huge difference once you are pushing 14psi of boost through the system! I went with a Random Technologies 2.5 stainless cat and just removed the resonator all together. I was a bit nervous about running no resonator, but was very surprised that the car did not really get any louder (I already had a Remus exhaust). It just got a bit deeper and more throaty... which was goooood.

Did you happen to notice just how restrictive the coupling was between the cats and stock resonator ($*% it's only about 1 inch in diameter there).

Like Jeff mentioned, I would just send the stock injectors to RC. They have an express service with like a 24 hour turn around time. Funny, I too have purchased some larger RC's to run in the stock locations.

Once we both get rolling, we could be able to learn alot from each other. :D

Jason

KurumaGOD
07-18-2003, 02:54 AM
CKlasse,
Nice job! Which brand of resonator do u have? Or is it custom made?

CKlasse
07-18-2003, 06:05 PM
boo hoo... its weekend.. I ll have to wait til monday to contact RC.

All resonator, muffler, tip are Magnaflows. They make decent products. It's upto you to set it up right. :)

Anyway, the reason I post the pictures is because I have another one that supposed to go onto my friend's car, but he bailed out. Anyone want this system for great deal????? hit me by email at dacorner96@aol.com

merc_lover
07-19-2003, 06:48 AM
so correct me. if i want to get a good deep "racing" sound from my 202 (im not looking for hp gains, just a nice sound/growl :D), do i have to put a resonator or will changing the muffler and adding the tips do the job?
is the resonator the part responsible for the growl?
i was abou to buy only a sports muffler and thought i would get a better noise from it. wasi right in doing this or do i have to buy a resonator too?

CKlasse
07-21-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by merc_lover
so correct me. if i want to get a good deep "racing" sound from my 202 (im not looking for hp gains, just a nice sound/growl :D), do i have to put a resonator or will changing the muffler and adding the tips do the job?
is the resonator the part responsible for the growl?
i was abou to buy only a sports muffler and thought i would get a better noise from it. wasi right in doing this or do i have to buy a resonator too?

You can think of resonator as a tubular/straigth muffler. It resonates! My goal was to have a deep and throaty V8 growl at high RPM. If you ever heard of REMUS exhaust.. mine is prolly a notch above that at low RPM and much deeper at high RPM.

In fact, I hardly hear the muffler during cruising RPM! I love this setup currently... and today, we just put it on a C43! It sounds great! Moreover, a friend with a S2000 wanted the same setup with dual exhausts...

Will post pictures on those soon! :)

CKlasse
07-21-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by JasonH
Nice... it will make a huge difference once you are pushing 14psi of boost through the system! I went with a Random Technologies 2.5 stainless cat and just removed the resonator all together. I was a bit nervous about running no resonator, but was very surprised that the car did not really get any louder (I already had a Remus exhaust). It just got a bit deeper and more throaty... which was goooood.

Jason..

I won't be hitting 14psi any time soon.... I don't think I ll want that with my current tranny.

My original goal is to have a round project car - performance & show worthy. I am thinking 8psi at the most (hence the 2.5" instead of 3" turbo back).

Perhaps if I go hardcore like you in the future then this project is comparable to you. Until then.. I won't be showing off my 1/4 slip any time soon :p :p

S32 AMG
08-08-2003, 11:13 PM
do you think a similar system would help alot more on the 3.2L 6cylinder benz motor (on my S320)?

I plan do do something similar except completely bypass cat converter and run stright pipes with a fairly high flow but low volume exhaust. would that sound good and make alot of power?

it seems like it would b/c those W140 S-classes supposedly have tuns of restriction on the exhaust side to make them super super silent.

Also the weight savings would also vastly improve performance as well.

S32 AMG
do you think a similar system would help alot more on the 3.2L 6cylinder benz motor (on my S320)?

I plan do do something similar except completely bypass cat converter and run stright pipes with a fairly high flow but low volume exhaust. would that sound good and make alot of power?

it seems like it would b/c those W140 S-classes supposedly have tuns of restriction on the exhaust side to make them super super silent.

S32 AMG

CKlasse
08-09-2003, 08:32 AM
It definitely will untrap some power, but to by pass CAT is a no no. First, you'll rendered your 02 sensor to useless - ECM will think cat is a goner, check engine will light up, and finally your engien will go into the limp mode. This happens to any vehicles with two O2 sensors.

Second, it is highly illegal and you will not pass any kind of emission test.

Finally, Mercedes use the CAT as a lil restriction to create back pressure. Most try to free up the restriction after CAT unless you have a turbo'd/supercharged engine - hence 'the cat back.'

Between the risk and the gain, it is not worthed to bypass the cat. You could build a CATBACK system and good intake for a good 7-15hp gain.

I think you would have to worry more about finding the right exhaust shop. I have been to too many shops where most simply do it for look or per request without 'performance' in their mind.

S32 AMG
08-09-2003, 10:16 AM
well first off, I have OBD1, not OBD2 so I CAN bypass the cat with no problems what so ever. you guys after 95 cannot. I will still leave in the o2 sensor so it will still get the readings

also, mercedes cats are HIGHLY restrictive , some benz have multiple cat converters and benz stock exhausts are horrible with restriction as well. i think on a 6cyl a good 20-25 rear wheel HP can be obtained.

The other option is to get that new "Quicktime" electric exhuast cut-out vavle. what it does is you install it before the cat converter after headers and with the touch of a button a valve will open and you will be running without any exhaust restriction at all. it only costs about $150 and seems to be worth it on a benz. instead of buying $$$$ high flow cats and $$$ high flow exhuast, you just buy this one peice and bypass everything all together, then when u are done racing, just his the button... and bingo back to stock. this seems like a much more logical route, what you think?

www.quicktimeperformance.com

CKlasse
08-09-2003, 08:54 PM
Merc started OBD2 on 94 instead of the world standard of 96. If your O2 sensor is pre-cat, you wont have any problems bypassing the cat.

Yes, all cats are restrictive - otherwise they won't be able to convert most of the gas. It's also good to have backpressure.

I highly doubt you would gain even 10HP on the rear wheel on a S320 even if you are running on open headers -- EVEN with FORCED INDUCTION! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

In fact www.quicktimeperformance even stated the BYPASS system gives 10 hp at rear turbo at the PEAK... and 6 hp on a V8 transam at the PEAK. 20-25hp is simply impossible.

S32 AMG
08-09-2003, 09:25 PM
oh, i did that know that, that makes alot of sense though b/c alot changed form 93-94, Lucky me, I have a 93 :)

yes but a V8 transam has a very free flowing exhaust system which is why it won't help much, where as benz is just rediculously restrictive.

either way i guess its cheaper than installing high flow cats and exhaust.

I love quiet exhaust so i think this would be perfect for me. however when i'm in a "sporty mood" i would like it to sound better and perform better as well. anyways thanks for the input

CKlasse
08-10-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by S32 AMG

yes but a V8 transam has a very free flowing exhaust system which is why it won't help much, where as benz is just rediculously restrictive.

Post dyno result please :)

S32 AMG
08-10-2003, 11:05 AM
i will, i'm getting a baseline dyno soon.