PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Used (working) cluster for a 1995 c280. Anyone?

benzdude
01-20-2006, 11:21 AM
my existing cluster has several issues and the MB dealer wants too much for a new one. Anyone know where I can get a used cluster for a 95 c280?

202rules
01-20-2006, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by benzdude
my existing cluster has several issues and the MB dealer wants too much for a new one. Anyone know where I can get a used cluster for a 95 c280?

I have a 95 c280 and I have issues with my instrument cluster. The temp and fuel needles stay down most of the time, especially the fuel one. If I hit the dash the temp needle will usually start working, but the fuel one is just too stuborn. Is this similar to your problem?

Also, since you already looked into replacing yours? What happens with the mileage reading, I was hoping that the mileage is stored somewhere outside the cluster and just gets sent to it and displayed there. When I removed mine once, I opened it and then noticed that there was a sticker that sealed it, I just hope that doesn't nullify my below average mileage on the car :(

97C28O
01-20-2006, 11:08 PM
Heres one on eBay.. http://cgi.ebay.com/Mercedes-Benz-C-Class-W202-C280-Instrument-Cluster_W0QQitemZ4605316502QQcategoryZ10398QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

*I have no relation to this seller or helping him.

benzdude
01-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by 97C28O
Heres one on eBay.. http://cgi.ebay.com/Mercedes-Benz-C-Class-W202-C280-Instrument-Cluster_W0QQitemZ4605316502QQcategoryZ10398QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

*I have no relation to this seller or helping him.

Thanks, but the bidding has ended. :confused:

benzdude
01-21-2006, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by 202rules
I have a 95 c280 and I have issues with my instrument cluster. The temp and fuel needles stay down most of the time, especially the fuel one. If I hit the dash the temp needle will usually start working, but the fuel one is just too stuborn. Is this similar to your problem?

Also, since you already looked into replacing yours? What happens with the mileage reading, I was hoping that the mileage is stored somewhere outside the cluster and just gets sent to it and displayed there. When I removed mine once, I opened it and then noticed that there was a sticker that sealed it, I just hope that doesn't nullify my below average mileage on the car :(

1995 w202 cluster issues are somewhat complicated:

when I first got the car the temp gauge light was out. it was'nt the bulb, so I opened it up and found a crack in the circuit board.
(which I fixed).

shortly after that my fuel gauge got Alzheimer’s. it knows when the tank is full, otherwise it sits at on 'E'. There are many threads on this site about this known problem. Its Possibly a fuel sender/sensor issue. There are two sender units ($350 for parts)

Also, my speedo needle sticks and needs to be bitch slapped to attention. :D (my fault, I opened it up to clean it, and caused the problem - dont know how though. maybe static)

lately I've noticed the temp gauge is taking naps. it just sits at 40 even after I''ve been driving for sometime. (or maybe my car is just that cool) :bandit:

benzdude
01-31-2006, 08:43 PM
I finally got one!!! bunny:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8033074238:

benzdude
02-24-2006, 07:40 AM
So I installed the new cluster and the needles started sticking again, however, I found out that the issue is:

Apparently, the black paint on the "needle rest" (little metal thing the needle sits on at 0 ) , melts when my heat is on.

This causes the paint on the "needle rest" to melt :confused: and it sticks to the needle.

I used a paper clip to move the needle while driving ( pushed through the holes on the cluster face). The needle was almost guled to the needle rest.