PDA

View Full Version : air con busted

J__
01-23-2006, 03:54 PM
my e/c mode wont turn off so now im stuck on economy mode therefore no air conditioning. i dunno if its the light thats jammed or the switch is busted or the air con assmbly is busted. anyone had similiar problems and knw a quick fix? or is my only option taking it to the stealership? =( tia

stox
01-23-2006, 04:22 PM
If you have the digital A/C control, get another. They pop up on eBay with some frequency. They are easy to replace. basically the same procedure as replacing a head unit.

benzaddict
01-23-2006, 04:40 PM
If your 'EC' light is stuck on and you can't turn it off it's because your A/C system is in it's 'safety shut-down mode'. With the 'EC' button depressed it deactivates the A/C compressor clutch. On the later model 202's (and almost all MB's after ~'98) when the A/C pressure sensor dectects a low refrigerant pressure it switches off the compressor and activates your 'EC' light as a malfunction indicator, much like a check engine light for a fuel injection fault. They do this as a safety precaution so that your compressor won't seize from running without oil.

Sounds to me like you have a low refrigerant charge, most likely due to a leak. Depending on your skill level, you can check over your A/C hoses and look for an oily leak. If you can't find anything obvious you'll need a leak tester and pressure gauges, or take it to a shop and have it leak tested.

Good luck...

trymonlam
01-24-2006, 05:54 AM
if u do end up needing to change the air con unit, they are about 200 bucks a pop. i was looking for one cheap since the lcd on mine is not exactly in tip top condition.

J__
01-24-2006, 07:50 AM
wow, thnx guys. those all sound like plausible culprits. i will jack the car up and have a peek to see what i can make of it. i was thinking it might be low refrigerant as well, but then i never turned on the a/c for a year or so so i wasnt sure how it got low.

oosix
01-25-2006, 08:49 PM
I had the same problem and the cause was low freon in my case. It cost me 2 seperate trips to the stealership for a total of $1100 bucks almost. They fixed it the 2st time but the system went out again. The second time, I accused them of misdiagnosing it the 1st time and as a result, they gave me a new (rebuilt) AC condenser under warranty but made me pay the labor.

It's recommended you run your AC at least 20 minutes a months so that the freon can lub the system's internals to prevent cracks and what not.

J__
01-26-2006, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by oosix
for a total of $1100 bucks almost.

daaayaamm

mayagman
01-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Unless the EC button is activated (and I'm not sure even then), the compressor is circulating and being lubricated. There is no activation clutch on our compressors to my knowledge.