PDA

View Full Version : Engine Wire Harness, no warranty, will i get raped?

Eurosport
07-18-2003, 09:35 AM
lol
about how much is this or where can i get it cheapest
used anywhere? or not worth it
thank you

nokia8860
07-18-2003, 09:39 AM
make sure you bring some ky to the dealer. it will help ease it in.

sorry bud but its gonna hurt like a mofo to replace that!

Eurosport
07-18-2003, 09:50 AM
roflmao ky

part number is 202 440 2406
ewww dealer says $986 and another dealer $1103 lol

now that's pretty steep
knowing that cylinder 5 misfires from time to time,
is there any other way to fix just that one wire?

now i'm considering not fixing it and dropping in new engine
aaaaah ky indeed

JRE320
07-18-2003, 11:09 AM
I paid like $585 3 yrs ago for my 95 C280 and now the price almost doubled? Wow!!! that is really so nice of Mercedes Benz after the fact that they're the one who installed this biogradable harness into our cars.... Recently I just found my old harness and to confirmed that it is biogradable coz all the outside where crunchy exposing all the wires from the inside... :( :bored: Wonder who that asshole, butt head that got that idea to use biogradable harness. :mad: :angry: :ermm: :dpress: :nerves:

07-18-2003, 11:54 AM
as a good corporate citizen, MB gave committment to make efforts to use "green" (environmental friendly) materials to do their part to save the planet...in this case- - MB owners need the wires to live at least 10 more years before dying! I have replaced no fewer than 2 harnesses in MBs I have owned- 90's vintage.

Further, I've seen many MB OEM stock wiring harnesses (thick copper inner stands), vintage 1960's that are still robust today with no insulation failure!

My understanding is that the replacment wiring harnesses have upgrade spec to at least last longer than the ones that prematurely failed:confused:

If the dreaded wiring harness failure is apparent in one wire, best to replace the entire bunch,,,, all of them are on their last legs and youll need to open the outer insulation to view the damaged inner insulations (failure point)

suggest search mercedesshop posts- there is a stealership in CA that offers this part wholesale like in the $500 range or perhaps mercedesshop partshop can get you into a new harness in that range

hope this helps

Eurosport
07-21-2003, 11:28 PM
thanks for all the pointers guys
should arrive today from Socal
i'll let you know from where i got it,
it was in another post i don't have the
piece of paper i written it on with me atm
price was $780ish benzshop could only do $850
maybe if i shopped around more i could have gotten better
price but not much free time atm for me during the weekdays

thing that does suck though is that since i cleared the code
i haven't driven the car really hard just a little agressive
but haven't had a misfire so far
so it's pretty annoying as you can tell
comes and goes
hopefully wire harness will do
and when it comes i'll know if i can install myself or not
dealer will love $$$ to remove plastic cover you know lol

JRE320
07-21-2003, 11:45 PM
If you can do it yourself much better coz stealership will install your harness but not the way when you bought the car.
they'll not put some plastic tie in some areas that it should be tighten up and special underneath your dash where most of your main wires goes in and out. I'm talking about the where your foot brake is located. So If I where you try and get the harmness first and try to follow each one as you unplug each connector. It seems pretty easy as long as you got the new harness.

Eurosport
07-23-2003, 03:01 PM
k i have received the wire harness from Caliber Motors in Socal
thanks again for the tips saved me lots of $$$ free beer for everyone!!!

i called stealership they said it's a 6 hr job, i really doubt that so i'll go ahead and install it myself on friday or saturday
will post picts of the steps and make a write up it doesn't look hard since it's all plug and play but oh well i don't care if it'll take me 12 hrs
hopefully the car will start after i'm done with it ;)

JRE320
07-24-2003, 12:40 AM
Cool!!! I told you that it look easy specially u got the new harness on hand. Just plug and play. Don't forget to disconnect your battery. :)

KenzBenz
08-04-2003, 09:11 PM
paid around $1400 for the harness for my car. =(

JRE320
08-05-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by KenzBenz
paid around $1400 for the harness for my car. =(

That includes labor right? Coz that's what I also paid the stealership. :rolleyes: :(