PDA

View Full Version : W202 & Exploding Batteries?

benzonline
02-01-2006, 04:30 AM
I keep hearing of the W202 having battery explosion issues.

What do I do to avoid this?

1SIKBNZ
02-01-2006, 08:07 AM
its under recall. just take it in and they take care of it. ( stealership) at least they did with mine..

Abuimad
02-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by 1SIKBNZ
its under recall. just take it in and they take care of it. ( stealership) at least they did with mine..

yep thats true...when i looked at my car's history using carfax...it had it right there...

benzonline
02-01-2006, 10:04 AM
I should check if it was done. Probably.

benzaddict
02-01-2006, 09:23 PM
It's a very good chance that MBCanada won't have the same recall. The recall only covered a few years anyhow. To check yourself, here is the basics of the recall:

1. Always use face protection when checking battery, we've had several blow in the dealership when checking them and battery acid all over you is not fun, especially your face! Usually they explode from static electricity as you move the trunk carpet.

2. Check the 6 battery plastc screws(fill caps): check to make sure the battery is full of water, if not fill all 6 cells with distilled water. If you see brown/tan residue around the 6 plastic screws then the battery is sulfating and could be overcharging or faulty. Check your charging system for overvoltage and if it's ok (not over 14.5v) replace the battery.

3. Check the vent hose and plug in the battery and make sure they are both present and connected. If you don't know, on each end of the battery at the top there are small holes, one on each end. One side should be plugged with a small plastic plug, and the other should have a vent hose attatched to a plastic 90 degree elbow and the vent hose should flow from the battery to a small grommet in the trunk floor and out of the trunk. This makes sure that all battery fumes/gasses are vented to the exterior of the vehicle and not inside the trunk, which is what ignites and makes the batteries explode.

I hope this helps people, this is a serious safety issue and happens more often than you'd think, so please be careful.

BBW
02-02-2006, 12:19 AM
This happened to me around a year ago!!!

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6120

I never realised this was a known fault

trymonlam
02-02-2006, 08:34 AM
that sounds dangerous... should i replace mine with a dry cell next time around??

Abuimad
02-02-2006, 12:47 PM
that does sound very serious glad mine was taken care off...

benzonline
02-04-2006, 07:47 AM
Went to the dealer and they never heard of such thing on the W202. They checked on the computer and no such recall for mine atleast.

rollinrealbig
02-04-2006, 09:49 AM
thats some scary shit!!!!

well i have an Interstate battery right now ... its been known to leak a little but when I saw the leaks I tore apart my entire trunk and washed it alll out with warm water and car shampoo.

then cleaned my battery and put it in a bag type thing ... dont know if that would help but also while its in a bag I put bearing grease alll over it ... and of coarse sprayed it with that anti-corrosion spray.

the trunk was fine ... still is.

I still have that battery untill today still in a bag with grease in it. LoL I do know that I have to change it but I want a yellow cap dry cell battery and when I asked one of the dealers who sell those they said they didnt make those for my c-class. and thats that. does anybody know if thats true or not and where would I get one of those Yellow cap. batteries ?

NickDellhall
02-13-2006, 12:09 AM
So i'm curious... this is a problem with stock MB batteries? Other batteries shouldn't be a problem? (my 201 is running an Eliminator Battery from Canadian Tire... never had to replace water or whatever).