PDA

View Full Version : Scratched Glass

JOESID
02-01-2006, 06:56 PM
I honestly think this is a new one....

The other day I was scraping ice off the windshield and I think that I scraped the glass. Has this ever happened to anyone???? I don't understand how a plastic ice scraper can do this. hmmm

benzonline
02-01-2006, 07:44 PM
Never happened but buff it out.

jnolte
02-01-2006, 08:12 PM
that is weird, its hard to scratch glass with a razor!

rollinrealbig
02-01-2006, 08:27 PM
maybe you didnt scratch it - u just left a mark from the plastic ice scraper, try this - take some sort of oil removing spray such as brake parts cleaner, spray it on a towel and try to wipe off the "scratch".

***************dont spray the parts cleaner directly on the glass because it can also remove paint!!!! ************

ive found that using this method removes crap like tar on the side of your car, paint left by shopping carts and traffic cone markings.

dont over-do it because you may damage your original paint job. if a little gets on your paint wipe it dry immidiatly!

jnolte
02-01-2006, 08:31 PM
gasoline works also

BOSS
02-02-2006, 03:47 AM
this may sound dumb....but toothpaste works good....buff glass with it with your finger or cloth.....
i use it on my watch for light scratches......try it.

JOESID
02-02-2006, 06:03 AM
OK, so this morning I went to take a better look at it. It really is a scratch, I tried to "remove" it with my fingernail and it feels pretty deep. This is the oddest thing, I'm going to call some of those glass places to see what they think.

I have a porter cable and some buffing compound, but I somehow dont think they will work.

JOESID
02-02-2006, 06:11 AM
I posted this on autopia.org, that detailing site and they linked me to kits that come with everything I need to use with my porter cable to get scratches out.

Hokke
02-03-2006, 04:13 AM
You are lucky to get only a scratch.
The windshield is actually quite smooth, depending on the manufacturer. The original is Pilginton wich is good, but mine is silga (or someting) wich is smooth. I have about 50 hits/holes(dono the proper word) in my windshied on wich some are 2-3 size of 4-5 mm and hood looks like someone has shot it with a shotgun. But we have now sand on the roads and spikes on tires, wich causes the hits/holes.