PDA

View Full Version : how to install springs?

undercover
02-05-2006, 04:40 PM
just a Question thats pondered me, but has anyone posted up on how to remove stock springs and put in the aftermarket ones? or has most of us gone to a pro to do it? please post up if anyones done a DIY!! and how if possible :D thanksssssss! hahahah

Pagz
02-05-2006, 05:17 PM
when i got my springs,there was generally 3 options
-take it to a garage with the correct spring compressor($400 at MB)
-buy the correct spring compressor and do it myself
-use two car jacks from super cheap auto lol

...I used the car jacks to do it...not hard at all,can be alittle dangerous if your not careful,though so can a spring compressor!

there is a big write up somewhere hear on how to do it with two jacks etc...

Pagz
02-05-2006, 05:20 PM
If you end up getting the springs and need a hand to fit just let me know...i have all the gear you need,and a calibrated torque wrench from work;)

undercover
02-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by 23K
If you end up getting the springs and need a hand to fit just let me know...i have all the gear you need,and a calibrated torque wrench from work;)
haha yay! shot thanks paul! yurr i found the springs alright! :D but at the mo i'm trying to fix my damn locks..dey stuffed up..some of the others told me to check the PSE pump, so gettin round to doing it soon..also checking the fuse box too :D the lights inside the cabin arnt working :confused:

Pagz
02-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by undercover
haha yay! shot thanks paul! yurr i found the springs alright! :D but at the mo i'm trying to fix my damn locks..dey stuffed up..some of the others told me to check the PSE pump, so gettin round to doing it soon..also checking the fuse box too :D the lights inside the cabin arnt working :confused:

hmmm wierd,did i read this happened after you installed some audio?

undercover
02-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by 23K
hmmm wierd,did i read this happened after you installed some audio?

nahh it just happened a few days ago, ive had my sounds for quite awhile now..i just went to park my car and then i was locking up and the locks didnt go down apart from mine..then i hopped back into the car and was pressing the lock button and it was going down but a little clicking sound coming from the left passenger side.. :( you want to have a look at it?

Pagz
02-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by undercover
nahh it just happened a few days ago, ive had my sounds for quite awhile now..i just went to park my car and then i was locking up and the locks didnt go down apart from mine..then i hopped back into the car and was pressing the lock button and it was going down but a little clicking sound coming from the left passenger side.. :( you want to have a look at it?

very odd,i most likely couldnt help out...but i'll check some books iv got here on how the locking system works and and get back to you!...

undercover
02-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by 23K
very odd,i most likely couldnt help out...but i'll check some books iv got here on how the locking system works and and get back to you!...

cool thanks but i got SLAMMED C (aka ross) to help me out, so i have a fair idea of what to do now!!! :D thanks anyways paul!!! :D

Pagz
02-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Oh kool,what did he say it could be?...faulty control module or vaccum pump?

Pagz
02-05-2006, 06:25 PM
On topic:D.....what springs are you getting...or have got?

undercover
02-05-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by 23K
On topic:D.....what springs are you getting...or have got?
ive got VOGTLANDS at the mo, but i'm getting my old springs compressed and the shocks shortened and intalling the monroe shocks..just to get the car a little bit lower..just 3cm more then the height i am at now :D

undercover
02-05-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by 23K
Oh kool,what did he say it could be?...faulty control module or vaccum pump?

yeah could be the pump or to much vibrations in the boot :D hehehe might get rid of the subs now :D

rollinrealbig
02-05-2006, 06:56 PM
hey u guys be careful with changing those springs ... Ive seen one pop out of the spring kompressor and man, they sure fly! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

busted a hole in the wall and I can say if that spring hits someone Im guessing It will hurt.

undercover
02-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by rollinrealbig
hey u guys be careful with changing those springs ... Ive seen one pop out of the spring kompressor and man, they sure fly! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

busted a hole in the wall and I can say if that spring hits someone Im guessing It will hurt.

hardout..i've seen the same thing, my mate was gettin his springs compressed and he infront of the machine like 10 meters away and when the spring popped out it was going straight for him and when he had time to react it knock'd him on the side of the face leaving this MEAN BRUSE!!!!!! he was knock'd out cold.. :eek: felt so sorry 4 him ae :( poor bugga..lost 2 teeth az well..