PDA

View Full Version : CEL p0455

davidk83
02-08-2006, 11:38 AM
i got a smog check and i didn't know in california that a check engine light meant automatic failure, but yeah i failed it and the guy said p0455 code came up

i tried changing my gas cap didn't do anything, i was gonna try to reset my car by disconnecting my batt, but when i was driving with the new gas cap on, my low gas light started blinking so i'm guessing that its more than the gas cap.

the guy at speedees said that it would cost about 140 to diagnose what the problem is and whatever it costs to fix it, and he said if i don't get it fixed there then i have to pay like 60 bucks to get the car retested.

what should i do?

oh yeah reason why i think this problem started was because i kept on driving to the point where i almost ran out of gas, and one time it went to the point where it started blinking, and then after that the CEL light came on. and instead of filling up a full tank, i continued to drive on like barely about low gas level.

mbLova
02-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by davidk83
i got a smog check and i didn't know in california that a check engine light meant automatic failure, but yeah i failed it and the guy said p0455 code came up

i tried changing my gas cap didn't do anything, i was gonna try to reset my car by disconnecting my batt, but when i was driving with the new gas cap on, my low gas light started blinking so i'm guessing that its more than the gas cap.

the guy at speedees said that it would cost about 140 to diagnose what the problem is and whatever it costs to fix it, and he said if i don't get it fixed there then i have to pay like 60 bucks to get the car retested.

what should i do?

oh yeah reason why i think this problem started was because i kept on driving to the point where i almost ran out of gas, and one time it went to the point where it started blinking, and then after that the CEL light came on. and instead of filling up a full tank, i continued to drive on like barely about low gas level.

Yea i used to drive just like you, and i think that caused my problem. I got the same code so i took it to an independent mechanic that deals strictly with german vehicles. He used SD to daignose the problem as 2 faulty vaccum valves. The total for both valves was around 100$. Also the p0455 code should come up as a major vaccum leak.

ryhi
02-08-2006, 01:39 PM
i have the same problem. never got it fixed though. i passed california smog by disconnecting battery and driving it a good 50 miles (they can detect that you disconnected the battery if u do it right before u get it tested). the blinking gas light turns on when you are not gassing the car. so most likely it will come on at a stop light. what i did before i got smogged is hold the brake pedal with one foot, and lightly gas it with the other at every stop before you go to the smog center. this will keep the blinking light and CEL to come on so you can smog your car and PASS. hope this helps for the time being.

ryhi
02-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by mbLova
Yea i used to drive just like you, and i think that caused my problem. I got the same code so i took it to an independent mechanic that deals strictly with german vehicles. He used SD to daignose the problem as 2 faulty vaccum valves. The total for both valves was around 100$. Also the p0455 code should come up as a major vaccum leak.

do you remember which valves they were?

Denlasoul
02-08-2006, 01:43 PM
If you got your own scanner, you could always clear the codes and go get you smog test done.

Just be sure to fix it!

NISMOPOWERED
02-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Clearing the codes also resets all the moniters. It takes about 10-15 miles and 2-3 cycles on the key to set all the moniters. As I recall one or two not set and you will pass but not more than that.

mbLova
02-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by ryhi
do you remember which valves they were?

I'm at college right now, i dont know excalty which ones they were.( i can let you know first week of march)

all i know is one was in the right front engine bay(around there) and one was in the rear near the fuel filter(in that area) i dont know for sure cause my dad took it to the guy, but thats what my dad told me.

davidk83
02-09-2006, 12:51 PM
crap, i disconnected my batt and took it directly to get smogged, and they said that there weren't any tests or something done, damn i should have waited. but yeah if i don't get it fixed at speedees i'm gonna have to get it retested again for full price. i hate speedees,

but thanks alot, damn this forum is so damn useful. makes me not want to sell my car.

oh yeah how much u think i can get for my car if i sell it?

99 c230k sports package, 131K miles, good condition.

NISMOPOWERED
02-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Read my post 2 up!
Disconnecting the battery is the same as resetting.
If the light does not come on after you've done that then go straight there

davidk83
02-09-2006, 03:38 PM
it did

SLAMMED_C
02-10-2006, 05:48 PM
code PO455 is a major purge leak in the evaporative system if Im not mistaken...
the blinking light you see on the cluster (reserve light blinking) is when there is not a pressure difference between atmosphere and inside the tank.. there is a small white valve near the charcoal cannister that acts as a releif valve, its called the charcoal cannister shut off valve. and its one of the most common faults in the purge system.
normally they stick open and the gas tank is unable to pressureize.. its basically the same idea as driving around with no gas cap on.
hope this helps out..

mbLova
02-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
code PO455 is a major purge leak in the evaporative system if Im not mistaken...
the blinking light you see on the cluster (reserve light blinking) is when there is not a pressure difference between atmosphere and inside the tank.. there is a small white valve near the charcoal cannister that acts as a releif valve, its called the charcoal cannister shut off valve. and its one of the most common faults in the purge system.
normally they stick open and the gas tank is unable to pressureize.. its basically the same idea as driving around with no gas cap on.
hope this helps out..

Thats exactly what valve it was! I don't remember the other one though. ill try to find out asap

benzaddict
02-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Thats exactly what valve it was! I don't remember the other one though. ill try to find out asap

The other would probably be the purge valve that sits on the driver's inner fender.

davidk83
02-13-2006, 01:36 PM
so i should go to speedees and ask them to check that out? or should i do it myself? how do i do it myself?

Polestar
03-05-2006, 06:49 AM
I had a P0455 and my mechanic said that 95% of the time that trouble code indicates a leaking gas cap. I tried two different gas caps, but neither was OEM. No resolution and I kept getting the trouble code and the blinking low gas indicator. It was driving me nuts. My mechanic did a pressure test and couldn’t get the fuel system to pressurize, but also couldn't find the leak.
Finally, I ordered a new OEM cap. Right away I noticed that the new cap turned on much further than the old one. Problem solved and my mechanic was right all along. So, if you haven't tried a new OEM gas cap, it's worth a shot.

rastavenky
03-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Anybody have a part number for this valve ... this happening on my slk .. and i am allergic to the stealership..

note i recently did replace my charcoal canister..