PDA

View Full Version : wheel problem

C280 JR
07-19-2003, 09:10 AM
I tried to polish my wheel lips my self, and used all the stuff that i need but i spent over 5 hours preping the wheel and working on it, and still did not finish the job...the clear coat on my wheel is just too damn strong and will not let go..so i returend all the stuff that i bought, and i want to get the clear coat back on my wheel..i found this local store called wheelwizzard.com, but its closed and i want to get the thing back on as soon as possible. They have some crazy prices, but i believe they are all for four wheels, and do not mention anything about putting clear coat..

so my question is, how much do you think it iwll cost just to put the clear coat just on my 2 inch lip of the 18in wheel

need quote asap

Elvir

nokia8860
07-19-2003, 09:50 AM
Depending on the damage you put on your wheels they may have to sandblast the whole wheel down and re-powdercoat your wheels back. Should be around 75 bucks to do.

From what I read you tried to polish your wheel. If you still want to try to continue your project might I suggest you goto an automotive paint store (not autozone or the like I mean a paint store that say mixes PPG paints by the quart or so for you to paint cars) and get a real paint stripper.

Ive used paint strippers in the past. You spray, 1 min later anything that touches the spray bubbles up, then you wipe it clean.

Its some serious stuff that eats up anything. So that could be an alternative since youre are like 1/4 of the way into the project. And in the end if you are still unhappy with the results just bring it back to that wheel place to have them re colour your wheel.

Best of luck.

C280 JR
07-19-2003, 10:08 AM
there is no damage or paint loss on the wheel, the only problem i have is the stuff that needs to take the clear coat off, is smudging on to the wheel, and i cannot get it off..

here is the product and the outcome
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid70/p1d8c783299d938de75fb17a6d457fba4/fba1ca44.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid70/pc8afa70dc02fcdc0fe75d8690e687aff/fba1ca40.jpg

see the bottom left corner..how the lip is smudged..it just will not come off, no matter how much i apply.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid70/p9a8100c2546650cad44e09343ab64be6/fba1ca3d.jpg

elvir

JRE320
07-19-2003, 01:49 PM
No,no,no,no,... don't use that stuff as Nokia was sayin to go like pep boyz or Kragen and get the paint removal stuff. It works great ina few mins. You are already 3/4 done on your project and I can see the bling on those lip of your rims. If all the stuff still won't work then you need to ask your girlfreind for her lip gloss..... :p :D ;) :) :)

C280 JR
07-19-2003, 06:10 PM
will the paint removal damage the wheel, if its naket without clear coat on some places, and will it take the color of the wheel?

Elvir\

nokia8860
07-19-2003, 06:29 PM
paint strippers no nothing but to eat at things. hence you have to watch what youre doing. but its not gonna eat the metal only paint.

I assume you want to remove the paint from the lip portion of your wheel. Using a real stripper will do just that and leave you with unprotected metal.

I belive this is what you want to accomplish so that you can use metal polish to polish the raw metal into a somewhat shinny lip.

Keep in mind that this after blingin is still unprotected metal and will require you to constantly clean this area with metal polish.

Hope this helps some.

C280 JR
07-19-2003, 06:37 PM
yes you cleared everything up

Elvir

JRE320
07-19-2003, 06:54 PM
You make sure none of those paint removal stuff touches any part of your wheel that is painted. Use a tooth brush or any small brush to apply on the lip surface. Coz spraying sometimes you can't control.