PDA

View Full Version : ...Turbo update...

Pagz
02-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Heres a few updated pics of the setup,there are all sorts of issues ahead,and much more custom work then i ever could have imagined...i was shocked to find out the exhaust and header also cost twice what i had planned(and been quoted),which has left me out of pocket and the project at a stop...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_146_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_147_full.jpg

Paul

Under Pressure
02-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Some questions:

What are all the left over parts you still need before your car is running?

Are there any issues with that turbo touching anything? Like the hood (bonnet)? It looks much larger than the T-25 I had on my C220 and that was close to many things.

How much longer do you think before your car is up and running?

Pagz
02-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Under Pressure
Some questions:

What are all the left over parts you still need before your car is running?

Are there any issues with that turbo touching anything? Like the hood (bonnet)? It looks much larger than the T-25 I had on my C220 and that was close to many things.

How much longer do you think before your car is up and running?

where to start!...
-custom radiator tank,just tryin to figure out how to mount the pressure cap.
-custom oil seperator,with the possibility that i will shift the pickup point down the back of the valve cover.
-A/C heat pump,needs new mounting position and plumbing.
-oil feed,and still not sure how im going to return it lol its tight.
-oil sump will need to be removed for oil return pipe welding
-water feed,same problem as oil return
-the new engine mounts seem to be making the engine sit high,but if i change them out for the old ones the manifold will hit the steering box and i will need to modify the down pipe.
-the engine mounts are too soft and allow me to sway the engine and 1" by hand,so may require hardening to stop the manifold from bashing the strut tower.
-intake and filter needs constuction.
-the bypass needs plumbing back into the intake.
-manifold/down pipe and turbine housing will get heat wrapped.
-will need to make a mounting block out of alloy for the oil press and temp.
-gauge sensor wires need extending.
-sort vaccum piping for wastegate and bypass
-finish IC piping upto turbo

theres also a few other issues like the cooling fan setup...as iv just ordered a TRUST multi switching device to aid this...

as of yesturday it was looking like only a few more weeks...now its looking like months mainly due to the shock cost of the fab work....truly gutted

yip the turbo is close to the bonnet....i hope it doesnt cause yet another issue!...

I made phone calls to these guys almost every day for a month...they never mentioned once it looked like trouble on the horizon...

however once i recover from eating 2min noodles for the next 2 months there should be alittle more action on the 202...

c280nz
02-09-2006, 10:55 PM
the more you seem to do the bigger your list gets :confused:
any hint to your header costs man? if you dont mind me asking, a very fine job it was!

can you mount your standard radiator bottle were the window washer bottle is, and replace the window washer bottle with one of those bladder style ones?

Pagz
02-10-2006, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by c280nz
the more you seem to do the bigger your list gets :confused:
any hint to your header costs man? if you dont mind me asking, a very fine job it was!

can you mount your standard radiator bottle were the window washer bottle is, and replace the window washer bottle with one of those bladder style ones?

hey man,yeh tell me bout it!,dont anybody underestimate whats involved in a decent turbo system along with all the additional changes that spring up!...

hmmm i'll PM you the cost,you'll fall of your seat for sure...i did!

i originally though i might mount it where the washer bottle is,but the piping would be a pain...and now that im making an oil seperator,i might as well make the radiator tank to suit,just need to figure out how to make the pressure cap fit tight!

pulled the whole system out tonight,so will get some more pics up tommorrow:cool:

jstrat85
02-10-2006, 06:01 AM
Dam Paul, I don't understand why all that work! My turbo dosnt sit that high on my motor? I feel that the turbo is siting to high up and its going to be touching the hood. I had one or two problems put on my turbo kit but nothing what you are going through!

Pagz
02-10-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by jstrat85
Dam Paul, I don't understand why all that work! My turbo dosnt sit that high on my motor? I feel that the turbo is siting to high up and its going to be touching the hood. I had one or two problems put on my turbo kit but nothing what you are going through!

hi jstrat...
yes things are alittle different on my 202 though,i have a huge steering box sitting right where the turbo should be!,this cuts my down pipe room in half and causes some extreme manifold work!...
the compressor cover sits about 10mm from the hood...so when i reverse it may or may not hit,depends on the engine mounts i will use...

Pagz
02-10-2006, 10:37 AM
here's a couple of pics with the system out of the car...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_148_full.jpg
notice where the 3'' is reduced to 2 1/4" at the muffler...will change this to 3" when the muffler gets modified to suit...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_149_full.jpg

Paul

Under Pressure
02-10-2006, 05:18 PM
That is beautiful work.

SLAMMED_C
02-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by 23K
Heres a few updated pics of the setup,there are all sorts of issues ahead,and much more custom work then i ever could have imagined...i was shocked to find out the exhaust and header also cost twice what i had planned(and been quoted),which has left me out of pocket and the project at a stop...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_146_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_147_full.jpg

Paul
That is ill man.. so ill.
they look frigin awesome bro..
damn.. they cost twice as much!!.. oh my!!
say it aint so man! ya gotta get this project done!!
well they quoted you a price.. how come they never told you it was going to be so much more?

jstrat85
02-10-2006, 06:07 PM
that shit looks fuckin hot! keep up the good work!

rollinrealbig
02-10-2006, 07:08 PM
lucky ...

california smog regulations would eat me alive for something like that!

hows australia ? I would like to visit that place when im older. ive always liked New Zealand for some strange reason.

Pagz
02-10-2006, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
That is ill man.. so ill.
they look frigin awesome bro..
damn.. they cost twice as much!!.. oh my!!
say it aint so man! ya gotta get this project done!!
well they quoted you a price.. how come they never told you it was going to be so much more?

hey mang!,thanks yeh things have come to a stop...dead stop...
i did tell him the budget,and he said he would let me know if we started to blow it:rolleyes:...
so i got stuck in a hard place...pay or not pick up my car...its very hard to get out of these situations,as iv seen it all before with my fathers electrical buisness...

i usually laugh about getting ripped off,but damn found it hard this time!...

thanks for the comments jstrat,underpressure,im fairly happy with the work also.

Pagz
02-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by rollinrealbig
lucky ...

california smog regulations would eat me alive for something like that!

hows australia ? I would like to visit that place when im older. ive always liked New Zealand for some strange reason.

yes i hope they never impose those regulations here!!....
there fairly strict on exhaust noise though,but i have plans for them:D...http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-ACS-010&Category_Code=BCS
im not sure how australia is as i havent been there for way too long...New Zealand is great though!!!,have you visited before?

undercover
02-11-2006, 03:18 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: DROOOLLL...
mmmmm nice..i like BIG BIG BIG TURBO MATE...hahha nice paul! loving it! not like the mc donalds love..the kind of love you make to your car..ahem..well i mean i dont..but yea..ahemm...
anyways..goodluck! cant wait to see it on the RD!

rollinrealbig
02-11-2006, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by 23K
yes i hope they never impose those regulations here!!....
there fairly strict on exhaust noise though,but i have plans for them:D...http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-ACS-010&Category_Code=BCS
im not sure how australia is as i havent been there for way too long...New Zealand is great though!!!,have you visited before?

Hella siCc!!!!

nope never visited ... but would like to later on ... LoL

mayagman
02-11-2006, 10:55 AM
That is some very clean welding... Good luck!

Under Pressure
02-11-2006, 12:17 PM
23K, I know you are no stranger to modding cars and in fact even have far more experience than myself, but I just want to say some words of encouragement because I think this is a fine project you have set out on.

I remember modding my old W202, my Prelude VTEC before that, my old Accord even before the Prelude, all the way to my current ride, a WRX. All these cars were modded and when I did my work, I had always planned a budget and how I visioned things to unfold. Unfortunetly, with all these cars surprises came up, parts fit strangely, some things needed custom fitting to work properly, etc. I am sure this is not the first time for you where you work on a car and it doesnt go 100% as planned. I just hope you dont give up and stick this thing through. You have already invested so much time and money into this beast it would make little sense to stop now. So dont get discouraged, be patient, and hang in there until you have one of the most unique W202's ever to grace the pages of club202. It is frusterating (especially the financial aspect) but hang in there...

Ashkan's C280
02-11-2006, 02:34 PM
this is a really awesome project mang, all the best, and it might be time to start to change the kompressor logo on the engine to turbo (:

Pagz
02-12-2006, 11:20 AM
23K, I know you are no stranger to modding cars and in fact even have far more experience than myself, but I just want to say some words of encouragement because I think this is a fine project you have set out on.

I remember modding my old W202, my Prelude VTEC before that, my old Accord even before the Prelude, all the way to my current ride, a WRX. All these cars were modded and when I did my work, I had always planned a budget and how I visioned things to unfold. Unfortunetly, with all these cars surprises came up, parts fit strangely, some things needed custom fitting to work properly, etc. I am sure this is not the first time for you where you work on a car and it doesnt go 100% as planned. I just hope you dont give up and stick this thing through. You have already invested so much time and money into this beast it would make little sense to stop now. So dont get discouraged, be patient, and hang in there until you have one of the most unique W202's ever to grace the pages of club202. It is frusterating (especially the financial aspect) but hang in there...

hey thanks for the comments,yes its not the first time things have gone wrong....but it is by far the worst that has gone wrong....
its hard when you put so much time into organising and exicuting a project to find it all falls to bits at the end,and not only did i get over charged but the car came back with scuff markes/scratches on the back bumper and boot,a broken oil dip stick(which they glued back together),and oil all over the roof and down the windows from the car above it on the lift....
thanks again for the encouragement man,appreciate it!...the project will get done!...just not for quit a while now until i recover financially....

Pagz
02-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
this is a really awesome project mang, all the best, and it might be time to start to change the kompressor logo on the engine to turbo (:

thanks!,will definatly have to mill the kompressor off and engrave TURBO for sure!!

Pagz
02-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by undercover
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: DROOOLLL...
mmmmm nice..i like BIG BIG BIG TURBO MATE...hahha nice paul! loving it! not like the mc donalds love..the kind of love you make to your car..ahem..well i mean i dont..but yea..ahemm...
anyways..goodluck! cant wait to see it on the RD!

lol thanks tim;)

jnolte
02-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by 23K
hey thanks for the comments,yes its not the first time things have gone wrong....but it is by far the worst that has gone wrong....
its hard when you put so much time into organising and exicuting a project to find it all falls to bits at the end,and not only did i get over charged but the car came back with scuff markes/scratches on the back bumper and boot,a broken oil dip stick(which they glued back together),and oil all over the roof and down the windows from the car above it on the lift....
thanks again for the encouragement man,appreciate it!...the project will get done!...just not for quit a while now until i recover financially....

what kind of shop spills oil on your car, breaks you dipstick( then trys to GLUE it back together, and puts scratches on your car?

then OVER CHARGE YOU!!

make the bastards pay! FREE!

SLAMMED_C
02-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by 23K
That sucks man.. for a shop like that.. and to have the kinda work they put out.. I would have expected them to maybe tell you that things were going to get more expensive!.. and then trying to hide that fact they broke your dipstick tube!.. WTF!
they should be paying for the damages to your car.. you wanted some nice custom work done.. not them fuking up your car for you..

Pagz
02-12-2006, 03:00 PM
That sucks man.. for a shop like that.. and to have the kinda work they put out.. I would have expected them to maybe tell you that things were going to get more expensive!.. and then trying to hide that fact they broke your dipstick tube!.. WTF!
they should be paying for the damages to your car.. you wanted some nice custom work done.. not them fuking up your car for you..

yeh must say im more than alittle dissapointed...they did however show me they had broken the dipstick and had glued it...they didnt offer to replace it...
its one of those situations where you pull out before things end up going to far...even at the extra cost/loss,i could have argued alot more than i did and still got nowhere,although its alittle late to find out.
...the car had been on there just under a month...so i was getting very impatient,which is benificial to them.

however,i spent the morning removing the oil stains etc,managed to cut and polish some of the scratches out,so its looking alright.

the only thing im really pissed about is not being told of the extra costs involved...

Ashkan's C280
02-12-2006, 05:39 PM
is there any way you can let us know or pm me what you thought it would cost and what it is costing now?

SLAMMED_C
02-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by 23K
yeh must say im more than alittle dissapointed...they did however show me they had broken the dipstick and had glued it...they didnt offer to replace it...
its one of those situations where you pull out before things end up going to far...even at the extra cost/loss,i could have argued alot more than i did and still got nowhere,although its alittle late to find out.
...the car had been on there just under a month...so i was getting very impatient,which is benificial to them.

however,i spent the morning removing the oil stains etc,managed to cut and polish some of the scratches out,so its looking alright.

the only thing im really pissed about is not being told of the extra costs involved...
but even still man.. with a shop like that.. they shouldnt have tried to bullshit you.. especially when your dropping that much coin there. then to be told "oh by the way.. its costing almost double to what we quoted you"!!.. come on. Id be super pissed. they should have told you along the way.. things are getting more expensive, and not just told you at the end.. you owe us double what we quoted you.
this is supposed to be a shop that puts out high quality items.. well they do that indeed.. but Id certainly never go back again for any more work if they just treat you like that.
take your money and tell you to fuk off!.. its not right man.

Pagz
02-12-2006, 07:04 PM
but even still man.. with a shop like that.. they shouldnt have tried to bullshit you.. especially when your dropping that much coin there. then to be told "oh by the way.. its costing almost double to what we quoted you"!!.. come on. Id be super pissed. they should have told you along the way.. things are getting more expensive, and not just told you at the end.. you owe us double what we quoted you.
this is supposed to be a shop that puts out high quality items.. well they do that indeed.. but Id certainly never go back again for any more work if they just treat you like that.
take your money and tell you to fuk off!.. its not right man.

I hear ya man,heres where it gets alittle twised though...the day i took it in we spent like 2 hours going over the project,towards the end i asked him for his opinion of cost,he said around 3K....i said that i was thinking about 2.5-3K and he said he likes to say more than what it might cost so that things look good when it comes out cheaper...he also said projects can easily get out of hand,so he said he would let me know if we went above my budget of 2.5-3K.
the big mistake i made was not getting this all in paper!...
so on the day i asked how come it cost so much more than 3K...he said he just based that on labour only and that there was alot of extra work involed....he never gave me a reason for not telling me it was heading way over budget,he just passed me onto his wife at reception when i said that it was too much and i couldnt pay that on the day...

So it was my word vs his...somthing that can be painfull to persue,and time wasting,so i backed off...i know many wouldnt,but i feel i really should have had somthing in writing!!my fault.

SLAMMED_C
02-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by 23K
I hear ya man,heres where it gets alittle twised though...the day i took it in we spent like 2 hours going over the project,towards the end i asked him for his opinion of cost,he said around 3K....i said that i was thinking about 2.5-3K and he said he likes to say more than what it might cost so that things look good when it comes out cheaper...he also said projects can easily get out of hand,so he said he would let me know if we went above my budget of 2.5-3K.
the big mistake i made was not getting this all in paper!...
so on the day i asked how come it cost so much more than 3K...he said he just based that on labour only and that there was alot of extra work involed....he never gave me a reason for not telling me it was heading way over budget,he just passed me onto his wife at reception when i said that it was too much and i couldnt pay that on the day...

So it was my word vs his...somthing that can be painfull to persue,and time wasting,so i backed off...i know many wouldnt,but i feel i really should have had somthing in writing!!my fault.
OH NO!!!.. I see.. you didnt get in it writing.. always.. ALWAYS get it in writing.. especially something like that.
too bad man.. sorry you got a lil fuked over man.. its always a tough thing when its your word against his.. tough one to do battle with.. plus who needs the hasstles of going through all that arguing and not getting your car back.. id ratehr have my car back with me and safe then kept at his shop till you payed.
thats bites balls man..

Pagz
02-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
is there any way you can let us know or pm me what you thought it would cost and what it is costing now?
you have PM;)

Pagz
02-12-2006, 07:33 PM
OH NO!!!.. I see.. you didnt get in it writing.. always.. ALWAYS get it in writing.. especially something like that.
too bad man.. sorry you got a lil fuked over man.. its always a tough thing when its your word against his.. tough one to do battle with.. plus who needs the hasstles of going through all that arguing and not getting your car back.. id ratehr have my car back with me and safe then kept at his shop till you payed.
thats bites balls man..

yeh i know....i should have got it in writing,yet another learning curve lol...when will i learn!,i shouldnt take peoples word so much.
yeh that was my fair!!...it had already been there a month,i didnt want it there any more than it had to be!!!...
damn it bit balls alright!!!...im sure they knew how much i wanted it back and just bumped the price to suit...
plus its a merc and i must have money to burn lol yeh it got burnt alright:rolleyes:...

SLAMMED_C
02-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by 23K
yeh i know....i should have got it in writing,yet another learning curve lol...when will i learn!,i shouldnt take peoples word so much.
yeh that was my fair!!...it had already been there a month,i didnt want it there any more than it had to be!!!...
damn it bit balls alright!!!...im sure they knew how much i wanted it back and just bumped the price to suit...
plus its a merc and i must have money to burn lol yeh it got burnt alright:rolleyes:...
a very harsh learning curve!.. never take peopels words.. you really cant trust very many people these days.. there was a time when ya could.. but no more.
I know exactly.. it had already been there a month.. you wanted that car back!.. lol.. little do they know your just a poor wanna be baller!! lol.. jokes.
well who of us in the club has the money for anything other then a W202?.. I doubt I really could afford anything other then my W202..

mayagman
02-13-2006, 05:31 AM
My 202's been cheaper to own than my subarus ever were. So long as the tranny doesnt drop it should remain so. By the time I pay the $5k for a new 5spd auto I can probably import a euro 5spd.

Under Pressure
02-14-2006, 01:32 AM
It's a shame a shop capable of that kind of work would do that to their customers. My old shop that I used to have do all my work treated me like a king, probably why they have been successful even though they moved to another state.

Pagz
02-14-2006, 09:51 AM
little do they know your just a poor wanna be baller!! lol.. jokes.
well who of us in the club has the money for anything other then a W202?.. I doubt I really could afford anything other then my W202..

so true,just a poor wanna be baller LOL!...well the poor bit anyway:D...i dont think i could sell and buy a better car than i have now either....being very performance orientated,iv been tempted to buy another Evo...but its just another lancer!...

Pagz
02-14-2006, 10:01 AM
It's a shame a shop capable of that kind of work would do that to their customers. My old shop that I used to have do all my work treated me like a king, probably why they have been successful even though they moved to another state.

I spoke with a guy who does our works(my job) engineering last night,said he knew of the fab outfit that did my work,as he's involved in V8 racing,said he'd heard they were VERY expensive,but still shouldnt have cost as much as it did.

its sad to see custumer satisfaction last on there list!...