PDA

View Full Version : k and n filter

illusionaryline
02-12-2006, 01:23 AM
hey, im trying to slowly upgrade my 1998 c200 i want a power increase with low cost i live in australia. my friend suggested a k and n filter, im not sure after reading it could destroy my maf? is this true and if so any other suggestions on what i could do?
thanks very much

Abuimad
02-12-2006, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by illusionaryline
hey, im trying to slowly upgrade my 1998 c200 i want a power increase with low cost
thanks very much
air filters mess up the maf if they are not properly oiled (the filter).....
and airfilters is not considered (or not in my books) as a performance mod....since it adds nothing to your car's hp's..it just makes it sound better..
power increase at low costs.....you get what you pay for......

ayamkodok
02-12-2006, 11:14 AM
i didnt know that air filter should be oiled until now. do you have any ide of how to oil it?
does the engine sound differ even when i use the KnN panel filter? (that is, using the OEM air box, and using the same shape of OEM filter)

K_Sport Driver
02-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Abuimad

and airfilters is not considered (or not in my books) as a performance mod....since it adds nothing to your car's hp's.
uhhh, yeah it does. stock air filter is a paper filter and highly restrictive. the K&N's utilize a more permeable cotton-gauze filter, which still manages to filter well because of the oil in it. more flow=more air getting into the intake, and subsequently into the combustion chamber. as long as you don't OVER-oil when you do the filter recharge, it shouldn't screw up the MAS.

if you're talking about a complete intake, then yes, it will make the sound better, and will also improve performance by allowing a smoother, more direct path for air into the intake manifold. if we're talking just about the drop-in filter, i don't think that should make a different sound... it didn't in my old car.

ayamkodok
02-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Abuimad
air filters mess up the maf if they are not properly oiled (the filter).....
and airfilters is not considered (or not in my books) as a performance mod....since it adds nothing to your car's hp's..it just makes it sound better..
power increase at low costs.....you get what you pay for......

hey abuimad, where's your new car? it's c36 rite? cant wait to see it. give us some teaser please. what happened with the car in your sig?

Pagz
02-12-2006, 07:49 PM
I'll have to agree with K_sport driver...any loss of ristriction will allow less pressure drop in the intake throughout the RPM range thus more pressure inside the combustion chamber...even more so for the C230K as it will take away some of the lost HP in driving the SC,it will also improve response and boost levels.
you would be suprised at how much difference a 2psi pressure drop on the intake of a turbo setup will affect compressor efficiency!...

Next time someone dynos there C230K please chuck a K&N in after running with the stock...it would be great to see what happens!...you may only see a 3hp gain...but its cheap!(if you dont over oil them LOL)

K_Sport Driver
02-12-2006, 08:53 PM
probably the best Basic Performance Upgrade you can do. improving aspiration beyond a simple filter gets difficult.

Abuimad
02-13-2006, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by ayamkodok
hey abuimad, where's your new car? it's c36 rite? cant wait to see it. give us some teaser please. what happened with the car in your sig?

c36 is comming soon...i am currently driving a c230...
and new pics of the car will come soon ;)

coolin
02-13-2006, 08:58 AM
I think we all agree that the K&N is a better design, but...

Part of what drives people's perceptions of K&N's is that they swap out their old dirty air filter and replace it with a brand new K&N.

I'd likewise be interested in seeing some dyno stats on an otherwise unmodified car with brand new OEM versus brand new K&N.

- CS

Uncle Jase
02-14-2006, 08:28 AM
How frequently would you need to oil the filter? and how would you know if you are over oiling it?

K_Sport Driver
02-14-2006, 09:02 AM
The usual interval is 30,000 - 50,000 miles depending on driving conditions

K_Sport Driver
02-14-2006, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by K&N's website
The usual interval is 30,000 - 50,000 miles depending on driving conditions

aaaaand I obviously don't know how to quote, and it won't let me delete my post. admin help :bored: