PDA

View Full Version : Need new ball joints soon..

benzonline
02-15-2006, 05:19 AM
How long do ball joints last on a w202? My car has original 85,000kms (55 000 or so miles) and it needs them replaced pretty soon (dealer says) due to being worn and they do have some play I beleive you can feel in the steering.

Does the car need an alignment when they are replaced?

coolin
02-15-2006, 08:50 AM
Mine were replaced after about the same number of kilometers. The dealer didn't mention an alignment was necessary, so I didn't get one. The stearing was much more precise afterwards.

FYI...they also changed the steering shock at the same time and I think that also made a noticeable difference.

- CS

benzonline
02-15-2006, 10:14 AM
They told me the car is mint and perfect however need to replace:

ball joints
lower control arm bushing
poly belt?

jlomon
02-15-2006, 12:02 PM
Replacing your LCA bushings will require an alignment. If you get all that work done at the same time (and get the steering shock replaced, as suggested) you'll notice a huge difference in the way the car tracks and handles.

I think the poly belt is the serpentine accessory drive belt. If you're looking for a good independent mechanic in Toronto that specializes in Mercedes, I have someone I can recommend to you.

benzonline
02-15-2006, 12:57 PM
I have a private mechanic but if you have another recommendation..by all means.

I also visit McNally Auto.

jlomon
02-15-2006, 03:10 PM
Charlie McNally was going to be my recommendation, but it sounds like you're already using him.

benzonline
02-16-2006, 06:31 AM
I didnt call him yet but how much he charge you think for each or all of this at once?

Dealer wants $400 just to do the damn ball joints which are like $80 each!:rolleyes:

jlomon
02-16-2006, 06:40 AM
His number is 416 398 6858, give him a call and ask him. From my experience, he charges for the amount of time he's on the car, not by flat rate. That job shouldn't take more than an hour for both ball joints. $400 sounds very steep. I had mine done three years ago, before I found Charlie, by a Speedy Muffler King. They got the parts from Mercedes, and the whole thing cost me $230. The LCA bushings could take anywhere from 3-6 hours depending on how stubborn the bushings are. I had mine done before I met Charlie by the dealer, and they charged $700 including the alignment. They got screwed because they quoted the job at 3 hours but took 6. But since they gave me a quote in writing, they were bound by the quote. At $100 per hour, they lost $300 on that job. The steering shock costs around $30 I think? And if the car is in the air, it take 3 minutes to change.

benzonline
02-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Wow that sounds like a big job. Do the bushings have to be done with the ball joints or can it be done after?

I'll give him a call next week to see.

jlomon
02-16-2006, 11:54 AM
The bushings can be done seperately from the ball joints. It is a fair-sized job. The control arms have to be removed from the car, then you have to remove 3 bushings from each control arm. The real time factor is how long it takes to remove the bushings from the control arm. They can get all jammed up with road grit and dirt, which can make them a real bear to remove. The dealer kept mine to show me how mangled they were - they had to use an air chisel to get them out.

benzonline
02-17-2006, 05:00 AM
Thanks for the info. I dont think they should be having alot of trouble with mine....its very clean underneath.

714guy
02-17-2006, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by benzonline
They told me the car is mint and perfect however need to replace:

ball joints
lower control arm bushing
poly belt?

I did this in my garage (the ball joint and LCA bushing) It took about an hours each side to remove the entire LCA. I spent an entire day doing it, most of it was spent in traffic goin to/back to the machine shop getting the bushing pressed in and out. I spent a total of about 3 hours one the car excluding the waiting and machine shop time.

The Ball joint is an EASY job with the LCA off, literally just unbolt and tap it out. Took me about 2 minutes to do. :D :D good luck

benzfan
02-17-2006, 08:18 AM
It is easy except when the alignment pin decides to stay rusted permanently in the LCA instead of coming off with the ball joint. I have had 2 do that so far.

benzonline
02-17-2006, 08:31 AM
How come these parts go south so early on the W202?

benzfan
02-17-2006, 08:53 AM
The stresses are quite high on them. Much like outer CV joints on a FWD car, they wear out quickly, but replacement is quite easy and relatively cheap. If you think the 202 is bad, try a Ford F150 from the mid '80s. They would destroy their lower ball joints every 30-40,000km. ANd unlike the 202, they were not cheap. I used to wear out CV joints on an old Honda I had annually.

benzonline
02-17-2006, 10:07 AM
Sounds good...atleast its cheap.

:)

I love this car!!!!!!