PDA

View Full Version : transmission

bosssman
02-15-2006, 12:34 PM
Can't believe this...Just bought my 1997 C230....Informed I need a new trans....is worth buying one and what is the cost of rebuilt transmission....and where can I find one...I'm in the Chicago area....

mayagman
02-15-2006, 01:40 PM
There's a thread regarding owners of faulty transmissions... prolly a good place to start, it's a sticky in the repair forum I believe. Other than that, the 5spd electronic is pretty expensive from what I hear. However, I have seen the units up on ebay for less than $2000. Frankly if I had to replace my tranny I'd just blow the extra cash and import a euro 5speed. At least then you have a meat and potatos transmission without all that adaptive hoopla that just loves to break. I can even feel mine slipping now, it's making me nervous ><

Best of luck, sorry to hear about your troubles. Scan ebay, or try contacting bmaparts.com, I've had really really excellent luck with them in the past. Local import junkyards are a good bet too, although you might get another problematic tranny. Hence my want for a stick... you just never know with these autos. They say it's a nasty manual, but I can rebuild and improve a manual gearbox MUCH easier than I can do an electronic auto, and on top of that, I'd rather have a crap manual, than a crap auto.

Just my $.02

jnenad16
02-15-2006, 10:07 PM
here you go, right in your area
http://www.adsitco.com/category.asp?CID=1652

nenad