PDA

View Full Version : Possible to repair an engine wiring harness?

SLK Boy
02-23-2006, 07:47 AM
Hmmm..so it turns out that my 94 C280 might have a damaged wiring harness. Misfiring on a couple cylinders. My friend took a look, and it looks like some wires were disintegrated/cut. Is it possible to fix the harness w/o having to replace the whole thing? Anything I can do with solder and some wires? :)

MECP Must Be
02-23-2006, 09:28 AM
I don't see why not. I'm sure someone can let you know for sure. I would personally try it. You have nothing to lose.:rolleyes:

jnenad16
02-23-2006, 09:53 AM
if one piece is falling apart, that means the rest of the harness will follow,if not already. replacing the whole thing is the proper way to do it.

nenad

ezbrown
03-09-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm new to the board but I saw your post here and had to let you know my experience with this same problem. I had a 1994 C220 that had the same problem. The insulation on the wires had began to disintergrate so I took it to my local shop. What was explained to me is that this is not unusual for these particular years. The wires were intentionally designed this way for the German market because the insulation on the wires are supposed to biodegrade after 10 years. So I asked the shop the same question that you just asked and was told that the harness needed to be replaced and could not be repaired. This harness cost over $700 and with installation the total for the repair went for around $1200.

SLK Boy
03-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Thx for the info! i actually got rid of the car a couple weeks ago, so I don't have to worry about it anymore. Whew...