PDA

View Full Version : c220 and turbo

nightferret
02-24-2006, 10:02 PM
hey im new to the forum and i am looking at doing a ton of mods to my 1995 c220 right now im kind of stuck on the turbo i want to put into the car (right now im looking at the garrett .45 i think its called). i also dont know how much psi in the turbo the engine can handle, my car also has 162,000 miles on it so i dont know how much it can handle with the high miles on it.

any help would be apricated.

jnenad16
02-24-2006, 11:17 PM
welcome to the family we call Club202!
in the 'turbo on C220" department, you'll find members jstrat and under pressure very helpful as they both have/had a turbo'd C220. as for the rest of the mods, all of us love to see new additions and help out as much as we can along the way.

nenad

Under Pressure
02-25-2006, 09:00 AM
I had a Mosselman turbo kit on my C220, which I sold to Koolvin after only about 12K miles of use and he put it on his C180. It is now for sale, and I can totally vouch for the turbo kit and Koolvin as I sent it out before getting my money and sure enough I got my money. He is as honest as can be and a perfect gentleman. There were some issues in the condition it arrived and he worked with me to resolve everything, and he upgraded many of the parts with better parts and had the Garrett T-25 turbo rebuilt even though it only had 12K miles (which I happily compensated him for). Just for reference, the Garrett T-25 is what is used in the Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, the Lotus Espirit V8 Twin Turbo, and the Lotus Carlton "Omega." Here is the link...

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=8999

Anyway, you can safely run about 5.5psi for assured long term reliability. Most people here that have turbo'd their C220's have run higher boost, but 5.5psi is a very conservative boost that is safe and gives enough boost that you can feel a difference.

rollinrealbig
02-25-2006, 02:02 PM
will auto tranny handle it ? I have a 5-speed auto and some places tell me "ohh that can screw up your GB since it wasnt ment to handle a turbo" .

jnenad16
02-25-2006, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by rollinrealbig
will auto tranny handle it ? I have a 5-speed auto and some places tell me "ohh that can screw up your GB since it wasnt ment to handle a turbo" .
I think most 4 and 6 cyl trans are rated at or above 300hp.

nenad

Koolvin
02-25-2006, 11:50 PM
yes your tranny will handle it!

I am not sure wether you have seen but my complete Mosslemann Turbo system is for sale.

I have everything you will possibly need ready for conversion on to another C class. The conversion would take only half a day for your car.

This is a professional kit and you can safley run the same boost as I had without any problems. I had the turbo conversion in mine for about 3 years and covered about 30K miles without a single problem.

Apart from the below you will only need to buy a few manifold nuts and a manifold gasket costing about 20 pounds from your dealership.

your old cat and exuast system can be stored as I will give the one I had away with this kit.

Price? not sure how this can be priced but you tell me what you think it's worth. It is ready for collection anytime and it will transform your car!

:: Mossleman Turbo Conversion
:: Mossleman engine Manifold
:: Garrett T25 Turbo with integral wastegate
:: Aeroquip and Samco Hoses
:: Front mounted Intercooler - behind bumper
:: SLK230 Kompressor valve cover
:: 5th Cosworth Injector
:: Subaru MAP sensor
:: HKS Dump Valve - sequential piston
:: MF2 Fuel electronic managment system ECU
:: Cosworth RAM-AIR Induction kit
:: Custom Stainless steel housing for cold box
(computer designed stainless steel and seam welded)
:: Modified Mosselman charge pipes all welded with brackets
:: Thermotec exuast wrap for front/down pipes
:: complete new down pip and modified CAT
:: ignition timing resistors

jnolte
02-26-2006, 09:00 PM
i kinda wish i had a c220 now!

rollinrealbig
02-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
i kinda wish i had a c220 now!

trade ya for the C43 LoL ;) i have a C230

nightferret
03-01-2006, 10:26 AM
so the car should handle around 350 hp? this is what im trying to go for. i dont think i can afford the mosselmann turbo setup. isnt it a twin turbo? im looking at making my own setup im am looking at for now running the garrett .48 turbo. my budjet is around 1500$ for all of the parts and everything.

thanks for the help.

btw how much do u think u should get for the mosselmann turbo setup?

Under Pressure
03-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by nightferret
so the car should handle around 350 hp? this is what im trying to go for. i dont think i can afford the mosselmann turbo setup. isnt it a twin turbo? im looking at making my own setup im am looking at for now running the garrett .48 turbo. my budjet is around 1500$ for all of the parts and everything.

thanks for the help.

btw how much do u think u should get for the mosselmann turbo setup?

Mosselman twin turbo kits are only for the six cylinders engines and up. The four cylinder engines get a single turbo. You wont be able to turbo your car and make 350hp for anywhere near $1,500. Not even if it was a Civic. For 350hp out of boost from a C220, that is a 200hp addition to the stock 150hp. That is serious boost requirment, likely over 20psi and that would require upgrading internal components to handle that (i.e., forged pistons/rods, extra fueling, etc.)

You wont even be able to build a low boost turbo kit for that much. Your turbo and custom built manifold will eat up your $1,500 just within themselves. I know b/c I did my research before I bought my Mosselman kit. I was going to have a shop custom fab me one but it was cheaper to just get the tried and true Mosselman kit. This way I got no surprises.

NoRemedy
03-02-2006, 09:43 PM
I'm new to this site, so let start by saying hi to everyone. Next, I've toyed with the idea of boosting my c280. I decided that if I was going to, I would use a single turbo rather than a twin for 1. cost and 2. less heat. I had it all planned out too.

1. Precision SC44 turbo
2. Mrp-engineering.com manifold
3. Johnny racecar intercooler (7x3x21)
4. Universal charge pipe kit
5. Muffler shop 3'' downpipe and exhaust
6. Universal hardware, oil line kits and misc items from ebay
7. HKS Sequential BOV
8. Clueless on engine management (thinking about piggy-back ecu, but not sure because I was told that mercedes has enough sensors and bullshit to compensate. Not sure if this is true)
9. 450cc injectors (possibly larger)

All this on about 7 or 8 psi should give me a gain of anywhere between 50-75hp at the wheels. Then reality and common sense took it's effect and told me to just buy a c36.

I was curious though, where and for how much can you get a Mosselmann kit?

Pagz
03-03-2006, 02:28 PM
hmmm,1500 will not make a mark on a custom turbo kit!,even if you do an extreme back yard job.
Koolvins kit would most likely be your best bet!

nightferret
03-03-2006, 02:29 PM
ive got way more than 1500 to spend how much do you think his kit would go for?

Pagz
03-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by NoRemedy
I'm new to this site, so let start by saying hi to everyone. Next, I've toyed with the idea of boosting my c280. I decided that if I was going to, I would use a single turbo rather than a twin for 1. cost and 2. less heat. I had it all planned out too.

1. Precision SC44 turbo
2. Mrp-engineering.com manifold
3. Johnny racecar intercooler (7x3x21)
4. Universal charge pipe kit
5. Muffler shop 3'' downpipe and exhaust
6. Universal hardware, oil line kits and misc items from ebay
7. HKS Sequential BOV
8. Clueless on engine management (thinking about piggy-back ecu, but not sure because I was told that mercedes has enough sensors and bullshit to compensate. Not sure if this is true)
9. 450cc injectors (possibly larger)

All this on about 7 or 8 psi should give me a gain of anywhere between 50-75hp at the wheels. Then reality and common sense took it's effect and told me to just buy a c36.

I was curious though, where and for how much can you get a Mosselmann kit?

all that planning!,are you still keen to go down that route?theres very few turbo 6's here,you should do it!;)

nightferret
03-03-2006, 02:38 PM
oh and also dose anyone know of any retailers that sell the mosslemann turbo kit?

nightferret
03-03-2006, 03:09 PM
i dont think i can afford koolvins turbo set up. right now im thinking of going to this local mercedes benz wrecking yard and getting a supercharger off of a c230 kompressor and i would much rather have a supercharger than a turbo anyways and i dont see y it wouldent work in a c220?

thanks for the help guys.

Under Pressure
03-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by nightferret
oh and also dose anyone know of any retailers that sell the mosslemann turbo kit?

I bought mine from Autowerks Express. I am not sure what they are called anymore b/c they changed their names. This things cost $5k around 2000, so they aren't cheap.

htfan1
03-27-2006, 10:26 PM
Does anyone know if Mosselman turbo kits are CARB approved?

CARB = California Air Resources Board

I can't seem to find any data on this. If not CARB approved, a California car won't pass smog cert.