PDA

View Full Version : modded air box

Keren
02-28-2006, 03:19 PM
hey ive got a 94' c280 i just drilled a few holes in the front 20 to be exact of the air box and 15 in the bottom of the air box im going to put a k&n filter in it tommarrow i was wondering if it was bad that i did that (drilling) it makes this deep new sound as if i put a Cold air intake in it...

VIP_MBZ
02-28-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm sure someone will chime in here and tell you that you've lost performance by sucking in hot engine bay air into your intake, but really the difference is probably minimal. The only main drawback I can see is that your airbox is probably ugly now.

-Ray

rollinrealbig
02-28-2006, 03:56 PM
why not just buy the real K&N Cold air intake ?

trymonlam
02-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by rollinrealbig
why not just buy the real K&N Cold air intake ?
yeah, or some other aftermarket ones. most people here that don't use the cotton gauze filters is because they don't want the re-oiling to mess up the MAF. appaearently u r not one of them, so why mot just go the whole distance?

Keren
02-28-2006, 04:43 PM
well its not that bad u cant see the holes they are right behind that headlight almost where the stock air intake is connected so it gets some cool air... well i am going to get the K&N filter
hey rollin? do they make a K&N air intake system for our cars? ive been looking just cant find ne... and if i didnt get a cotton gauze filter what other alternative do i have besides a paper one...

Pagz
02-28-2006, 05:11 PM
another option would be to use the triangular shaped gap under the box to feed it ambiant air.

rollinrealbig
02-28-2006, 06:50 PM
@Keren, in case you didnt get my PM,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-CF-94-00-Mercedes-Benz-C220-C230-C280-NC-Air-Intake_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQitemZ8042 258205QQrdZ1

easiest place for me to find! :D

jnenad16
02-28-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by rollinrealbig
@Keren, in case you didnt get my PM,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-CF-94-00-Mercedes-Benz-C220-C230-C280-NC-Air-Intake_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQitemZ8042 258205QQrdZ1

easiest place for me to find! :D
that will give him even worse performance than he has now.
the best way for you is custom intake, I had one on my C280. I cost me about $50-60 and a few hrs of my time, but made all the difference in the world.
do a search, I explained it to mr. gatsbury how to make it a while back.

nenad

trymonlam
03-01-2006, 09:04 AM
here you go,
nenad's post about making a custom intake.

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6324&highlight=gatsbury+intake

tpliquid
03-01-2006, 09:53 AM
made a 3 inch hole on the buttom of the airbox. ran a 3inch tube from buttom of bumper opening to the hole in airbox. thats better intake system than a KN circular filter..

Keren
03-01-2006, 05:06 PM
well the only thing about cutting that hole in my air box its not direclty over the hole that i would run the tube from... how did u do it?

Keren
03-01-2006, 05:08 PM
thanx for the steps trymonlam i does that run through the origional air intake hole in the front of the car or through the bottom bumper? which way would be more effective?

trymonlam
03-01-2006, 05:17 PM
from what i have heard, it seemed like when u get air from the bottom, u get a ram air effect thus faster airflow. but then you loose velocity when air travels through bent tube. i may be wrong on these statements, so whoever with concrete understanding of this matter please shread some light.
i personally haven't tried this. so i can't answer this question. both tpliquid and nenad are well-respected members of this forum much experienced with our cars, so chances are both ideas will work well. just pick the one that make themost sense to you.
my 2 cents.

Keren
03-01-2006, 05:28 PM
alright thanx i just want something that works you know? but thanx to all and if anyone else has ne more info feel free let me in on some of it

tpliquid
03-02-2006, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Keren
alright thanx i just want something that works you know? but thanx to all and if anyone else has ne more info feel free let me in on some of it

i'll get some pics taken when i get home today to show u wat it looks like

Keren
03-02-2006, 09:22 AM
alright thanx

202rules
03-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by jnenad16
that will give him even worse performance than he has now.
the best way for you is custom intake, I had one on my C280. I cost me about $50-60 and a few hrs of my time, but made all the difference in the world.
do a search, I explained it to mr. gatsbury how to make it a while back.

nenad

Hey nenand, do you recommend the arospeed air filter that you used? Did it give you any problems with the MAS? I'm considering doing a setup like yours on my car too.

NISMOPOWERED
03-12-2006, 05:31 PM
I noticed that the C36 has twin ducts into the box with no real restrictions. Do all of them have the twin openings? I wonder if the gains some people are seeing are just from the filter change and not as much from the box.

202rules
03-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by NISMOPOWERED
I noticed that the C36 has twin ducts into the box with no real restrictions. Do all of them have the twin openings? I wonder if the gains some people are seeing are just from the filter change and not as much from the box.

Someone on the forum said they made a hole at the bottom of their stock air box and used a pipe to direct air from behind the bumper to that spot and that it helped his car.

I am thinking of making a closed air filter canister using plastic plumbing pipe the kind that you can find in the home depot. They even have tee couplings that can be used to combine air from the front air duct and from the bottom area behind the bumper. I just want to know what air filter to use and after I have the filter I can start measurements.

NISMOPOWERED
03-12-2006, 05:47 PM
On my C36 it already has a duct going down to the bumper area and the one that goes up to the headlight spot. I'm wondering if this is AMG only.

jnenad16
03-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by 202rules
Hey nenand, do you recommend the arospeed air filter that you used? Did it give you any problems with the MAS? I'm considering doing a setup like yours on my car too.
yes, that would be a great filter to use. as for the dual intake setup, I have tried it and it does not work, it actually decreases performance quite a bit. the best intake setup I had fabricated is described in the linked thread.

nenad

NISMOPOWERED
03-12-2006, 06:41 PM
Did your car have dual intakes stock. What im refering to is the tube that comes out of the intake box has a nozzle that goes to the headlight and one the goes to the bumper. this is stock.

jnenad16
03-13-2006, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by NISMOPOWERED
Did your car have dual intakes stock. What im refering to is the tube that comes out of the intake box has a nozzle that goes to the headlight and one the goes to the bumper. this is stock.
not on my car. the dual setup I was refering to was with the Y plumbing pipe and two separate intakes joining into one.

nenad

202rules
03-14-2006, 09:18 AM
yes, that would be a great filter to use. as for the dual intake setup, I have tried it and it does not work, it actually decreases performance quite a bit. the best intake setup I had fabricated is described in the linked thread.

nenad

It's on the way :D

tpliquid
03-14-2006, 11:22 AM
here we go

http://www.viptrim.com/newstuff/DSC03070.JPG

http://www.viptrim.com/newstuff/DSC03069.JPG

1995c280
03-15-2006, 02:43 AM
nenad, u tried the y adapter and said it would decrease performance. so do you think the set-up tpliquid has would be more exfective than that. personally, how do you think this compares to the custom CAI u made. i'm trying to deside on which route to go with?

jason

NISMOPOWERED
03-15-2006, 07:15 AM
Funny how on a custom set up everybody agrees it would decrease performance and yet AMG did it stock to increase it.

jnenad16
03-15-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by 1995c280
nenad, u tried the y adapter and said it would decrease performance. so do you think the set-up tpliquid has would be more exfective than that. personally, how do you think this compares to the custom CAI u made. i'm trying to deside on which route to go with?

jason
I have not tried tp's method, but it seems like it would work well since you are utilizing stock components. the CAI I made worked very well on my C280, especially in the low end, I can safely say it improved the low end torque by about 10%, the power difference was that great. I cant quarantee you will see the same improvements, but you will definitely feel the difference.

nenad

tpliquid
03-15-2006, 11:03 AM
jenad u have heat shield too right?

i suggest if u do jenad free float intake you shold get a heat shield also, the header gets pretty hot.. i think if you add some heat resistant tape onto the airbox and the pipe over the engine you will get some better HP... and also a heat shield next to the airbox will help also.

jnenad16
03-15-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by tpliquid
jenad u have heat shield too right?

i suggest if u do jenad free float intake you shold get a heat shield also, the header gets pretty hot.. i think if you add some heat resistant tape onto the airbox and the pipe over the engine you will get some better HP... and also a heat shield next to the airbox will help also.
in the beginning I had silica tape around the entire intake, but since that looked ugly, I took it off and painted the entire intake with ceramic paint, about 10 thick coats to keep intake heat soak to a minimum, and I must say the difference was noticable.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/nenad16/DVC00173.jpg
the filter heat shield was also painted later.

nenad

202rules
04-02-2006, 11:13 AM

nenad

Hi Nenad, about the dual inlet setup that you tried, was it just a straight forward T coupling? Or maybe a wye coupling like this one?

http://i11.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/14/59/1d_1_b.JPG

Check out this true wye connector, it's for dust collectors and the openings are 6", 4", 4". The widest diameter on the arospeed filter you used is 6" too (around the wide part of the filter's cover). It can fit nicely inside that canister and if you push it in far enough I think those 4" openings get aligned perfectly against two opposite sides of the cone filter. I'm going to give it a shot.

http://i18.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/4d/e1/f0_1_b.JPG

jnenad16
04-02-2006, 01:42 PM
the dual setup I did was with the first piece. I cant comment on the second one, as I dont know how it will turn out. but give it a shot, and tell us how it comes out.

nenad

1995c280
04-05-2006, 01:16 PM
ok guys, so i tried out tpliquid's design by drilling a 3 inch circle hole and force air through the triangle gap under the air box with a tube. i must say that the throttle response definately was slightly better. i'm not saying its like a "chip" by any means but you get my drift! it also has a slightly deeper sound like most aftermarket CAI make. now i am gonna try out nenad's design and i'm gonna use your advice nenad and paint it with numerous coats of ceramic paint to keep the heat outta the intake tubing.

i also came up with another idea incase one of you guys don't feel like cutting your stock box. i had a 1999 clk320 come in my shop and i replaced the valve cover gaskets. while taking the intake box off i noticed it has the port that goes to the grill and also has a port about 2 inch oval that goes through the traingle gap already. so basically its a str8 swap if u have the v6 and if you have the I6 just use the bottom part of the clk air box and the clk elbow that goes to the grill. then use the upper portion of your existing air box so it can attach to the MAS. here are the part numbers and prices if you guys are interested...

air box - 1120900701 $187.04
elbow pipe - 2085280007 $16.45

202rules
04-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by 1995c280
i also came up with another idea incase one of you guys don't feel like cutting your stock box. i had a 1999 clk320 come in my shop and i replaced the valve cover gaskets. while taking the intake box off i noticed it has the port that goes to the grill and also has a port about 2 inch oval that goes through the traingle gap already. so basically its a str8 swap if u have the v6 and if you have the I6 just use the bottom part of the clk air box and the clk elbow that goes to the grill. then use the upper portion of your existing air box so it can attach to the MAS. here are the part numbers and prices if you guys are interested...

air box - 1120900701 $187.04
elbow pipe - 2085280007 $16.45

You mean in the clk the air going from the grille to the box doesn't first go down and then up like it does on the 202? I also remember seeing a picture of some E-class (don't know what year) where the tube went straight from the grille horizontally to the air filter, was wondering if that could be used on 202 as well.

1995c280
04-05-2006, 03:47 PM
the clk still has the elbow shape tube (follows same path) from the grill to the airbox but the (connection/end part by airbox) is round in shape instead of oval like on the 202's so you need to buy the new elbow. then right where the elbow meets the airbox in has another duct that goes down into the triangle gap. this is a rectangle shape that is directly molded to the bottom portion of the airbox itself. the shape kinda looks like a trumphet horn, LOL! i was never aware of this and you actually hear a kinda deeper tone in this car. i never noticed it before but when i test drove this i heard it and when i brought the car in and got it in the air, i was surprised to see a stock exhaust system. had me fooled!

the airbox is a 2 piece box (u prolly know that). use the clk elbow, clk bottom airbox portion, and the 202 top airbox portion and it will be a direct fit in your 202. no cutting/drilling, etc.....

Jason

202rules
05-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Ok guys, I think to some of you this is going to look stupid, but I went ahead and bought that Y section and started playing with it in my free time. Here's what I came up with so far, I didn't put it on and I really have no idea if it's gonna be good or bad, just wanted to share and maybe get some pointers or comments.

Here's one picture:
http://static.flickr.com/54/141460009_3dfe0fbfa2_m.jpg

And here are the rest:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/96539716@N00/sets/72057594127142066/

I tried to mock fit this in the car and it lines up pretty well against the stock grille opening and the triangular shaped one that goes into the bumper. I have a question though, does anyone know how flexible this silicone reducer is?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-5-x4-4-Ply-Silicone-Hose-Reducer-Transition-Blue_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33601QQitemZ806117 4765QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

It's a 4" to 3.5" reducer. The circumfrance of a 3.5" diameter circle (11") is the same as that of the stock grille inlet pipe that goes down into the airbox if I cut it right before it bends down. However it won't look circular. Is this silicone material flexible enough to fit into that shape which almost looks rectangular minus the sharp corners? I've never held one in my hand so I don't know. If someone can tell me where to find something that I can use like that, I would really appreciate it.