PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Cluster (not oil gauge) issue

67 Demon
03-07-2006, 07:31 PM
I have been reading some of the issues relating to owners' instrument clusters. Mine is experiencing issues different than the typically mentioned oil/temp gauges. My cluster issues have to do with the odometer, specifically the number(s) to the farthest right of the odometer (the numerical digit(s) that change most frequently). Basically the last number you read on your odometer will be partially visible (you can only see part or half of the number) or is perfectly visible other times. I was wondering if anyone else has had any issues with this on their 202's? BTW, I have a 1999 C230K, with around 74K miles. It has been doing this for about 4K miles now.

I spoke to a mechanic (who specializes in Euro's) about this issue and he mentioned the only thing he could do would be to order/find a whole new instrument cluster (which he said would run about $500) which would have a different odometer reading than what i currently have.

Anyone have any suggestions or have experience concerning the same issue i described?

Thanks!

benzaddict
03-07-2006, 10:14 PM
That's a pretty common problem with the later style clusters, it's really common on 210's. You can try and find a used one but the mileage won't be able to be changed, or you can buy a new one from the dealer and have it programmed. Only new clusters can be programmed for mileage. A used one should be a lot less than $500, that's not too far off the price of a new one.

coolin
03-08-2006, 08:24 AM
I'm glad someone brought this up as I have the same problem.

After searching I noticed someone mentioned it could be related to a failing battery or alternator.

Is this the case or is this something that just needs to be replaced?

67 Demon
03-08-2006, 08:34 AM
Personally, i wouldn't think it would be a faulty battery/alternator. My reasoning is because if it was, i would assume that the whole instrument cluster would be affected, rather than just one numerical digit (in my case). Some days i see half the number, some days none of that number, and other days it is perfectly legible. Go figure. Maybe i should bang on it a little like i've read others have done. Maybe that'll do the trick. But good to know that this issue isn't just isolated to my car.

coolin
03-08-2006, 08:54 AM
It didn't sound like a battery problem to me either...but I don't really know how to do much more than change the oil. In my case it is just the odometer and the temperature gauge that are effected.

...Does anyone have detail instructions on how to remove the gauge cluster? Maybe I'll check the connections to see if they're dirty/loose.

- CS

67 Demon
03-08-2006, 08:57 AM
How many miles do you have on your vehicle and when did you start to experience these issues?

coolin
03-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by 67 Demon
How many miles do you have on your vehicle and when did you start to experience these issues?

Right around when the warranty ran out. 120,000 km.