PDA

View Full Version : transmission safty features?

nightferret
03-12-2006, 03:24 PM
ok well here is the story today it snowed alot and som of my friends and i were messing around in a big parkinglot sliding our cars in the snow. so after i do that i stop my car and put it into park and set the emergency breake. and i go back to put the car into drive and it is stuck in park. i wait around for about 2 hours and finally i try again for about the 5th time to put the car into drive and the car works flawlessely.

my main question on my 1995 c220 i was told by one of my friends that some cars will lock up like this to prevent any more dangers to the driver and the car. and could it also be because of the snow making low temperatures to the gearbox that would cause this? because underneath my car there was snow packed all over the underside of the car.

my car also has about 162000 miles on it and i do think my transmission could be going out because it sometimes slips into gear from going from park to drive and 2nd to 3rd.

SLAMMED_C
03-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by nightferret
ok well here is the story today it snowed alot and som of my friends and i were messing around in a big parkinglot sliding our cars in the snow. so after i do that i stop my car and put it into park and set the emergency breake. and i go back to put the car into drive and it is stuck in park. i wait around for about 2 hours and finally i try again for about the 5th time to put the car into drive and the car works flawlessely.

my main question on my 1995 c220 i was told by one of my friends that some cars will lock up like this to prevent any more dangers to the driver and the car. and could it also be because of the snow making low temperatures to the gearbox that would cause this? because underneath my car there was snow packed all over the underside of the car.

my car also has about 162000 miles on it and i do think my transmission could be going out because it sometimes slips into gear from going from park to drive and 2nd to 3rd.
possibilities are a brake lamp switch.. brake release cable (from brake pedal to shifter, safety feature.. brake pedal needs to be depressed to take vehicle out of park)
I have an issue with my car.. when its really cold out.. like -15 degrees celcius and my car sits over night.. it wont come out of park, when it warms up a bit it will come out of park.. I think it has something to do with my cable.. replaced brake lamp switch already and still does the same thing.. that or the shifter itself is the problem.

is your shifter feel loose.. like has a lot of play when sitting in gear?.. it may be your shifter bushings that are worn.. easy and cheap to replace.
jnenad.. any toughts?

jnenad16
03-12-2006, 06:29 PM
I never seen anything like that since there is no snow over here, but the neutral safety switch is on my mind. you say there was alot of snow under the car, so my guess is some of it got stuck around the NSS and you had to wait for some time until it melted/got loose until you could shift out of park.

nenad

nightferret
03-12-2006, 07:23 PM
yea there was a ton of snow under the car it was filled up in the wheel wells and everywhere i guessing it just got frozen up in soemthing because on my way home from work tonight it was driving like normal.

rollinrealbig
03-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Ive went to the snow a few times w/C220 96' my mom used to have.

someone told me before never use your ebrake in really cold temps. especially overnight because the mechanism can freeze up.

never really tried testing if that is true or not, so I put something in front of the wheels so the car wouldnt tend to go anywhere. LoL

Abuimad
03-13-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by rollinrealbig
so I put something in front of the wheels so the car wouldnt tend to go anywhere. LoL

dosent just putting it on park do the trick just fine ?

trymonlam
03-13-2006, 09:13 PM
hmm...
i live in MA and keep my car in a open air garage building every night with e-brake on. never had a problem because of it though.

rollinrealbig
03-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Abuimad
dosent just putting it on park do the trick just fine ?

yea Im guessing that will do the trick ... but it was on a driveway, who knows - what if slides down ? LoL just keeps my sleeping at night instead of beeing worried as much.

I wont be able to sleep at all if I know that my car is in a public place outside, It either has to be in a garage or my backyard. im not taking any chances.

heat is bad for interior, wind is bad too - fallen branches can scratch it, rain isnt good - I try tp keep it spotless, normal good weather means kids outside - dont want my car being messed around with. basically I care for it in everysecond of life. and im the type of person who drives around w/a car cover in the trunk and cover my car everytime I go to the store for more then 30minutes.