PDA

View Full Version : ...Turbo project update...

Pagz
03-12-2006, 06:48 PM
Well...no,it isnt going yet....but,heres where im at!...im just happy its actually progressing!.

I randomly decided to re-make the wiring loom with all new wires to suit the 4 new Defi sensors i have,also to remove some of the brittle parts close to heat...,this is now complete!...But was an absolute PITA.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_158_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_156_full.jpg

Finally!...i found a workshop i should have used years ago!,goods guys,good price...truely exceptional work.
so i had them weld my intake,turbo discharge pipe,and the beginings of my custom radiator tank,
notice the radiator tank looks like its been done by machine,i was blown away by how consistant it was!(yes done by hand!)
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_159_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_157_full.jpg

heres a pic of the bay and how its all looking...should start to look good once i get the radiator and oil seprator tanks in!also you can just see the new harness in place!...
so its almost onto heat wrapping and oil/water feeds...which will require the sump to be removed to install the oil return!...
will keep you all updated as it goes...thanks for the patiance guys.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_160_full.jpg

Paul

714guy
03-12-2006, 06:56 PM
WOW awesome Welds. Looking good.

Ashkan's C280
03-12-2006, 07:19 PM
great updates and pics, man what a great project

Ashkan's C280
03-12-2006, 07:22 PM
how much boost are you planning to run once this is all said and done, and are you ever thinking about upgradeing internals to run even more boost?

trymonlam
03-12-2006, 07:23 PM
looks amazing, just like all your previous progress posts. u've come a long way. i can't wait to see it work!
from all the pics u post recently about the engine bay, it seriousn't DOES NOT look like the hood is going to close. will it?

Pagz
03-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
how much boost are you planning to run once this is all said and done, and are you ever thinking about upgradeing internals to run even more boost?

Thanks!,boost will mostly be limited by the MAS and ECU,and will also depend on compressor efficiency,im hoping for between 7-9 without ecu changes,but its only a guestimation...
internals are definatly on the cards...but i will most likely do the intake manifold and ECU work before i go there!

Ashkan's C280
03-12-2006, 07:45 PM
how much can the ecu really adapt, I feeling was it was good about most changes, but you are changing the type of f/i and adding more power, much more power, so I am not too sure... moreover, would the places you have been having work done be able to remap an ecu, and what is the price range for that kind of work?

SLAMMED_C
03-12-2006, 08:16 PM
lookin good man.. those are figin awesome welds.. WOW.. very impressive.
so whats this about an intake manifold???!!!!... hmmmmmm???!

c280nz
03-12-2006, 10:11 PM
coming along nicely paul, keep up the good work!
:cool:

Pagz
03-13-2006, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by trymonlam
looks amazing, just like all your previous progress posts. u've come a long way. i can't wait to see it work!
from all the pics u post recently about the engine bay, it seriousn't DOES NOT look like the hood is going to close. will it?

:runs to garage,shuts hood:
good point!,now that iv checked it,yes it does fit!:D
thanks for the comments man!

Pagz
03-13-2006, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
lookin good man.. those are figin awesome welds.. WOW.. very impressive.
so whats this about an intake manifold???!!!!... hmmmmmm???!

Yes!,im very impressed also!,wish i had have gotten there number along time ago...they dont advertise,and i can see why!...
they make some of the koolest manifolds money can buy!,very Pro...im very keen on going that route;)
heres a pic of one of New Zealands fastest four bangers(evo3)
they made the intake manifold and many other parts on this...
http://www.ignitionmagazine.co.nz/assets/imgs/cars/10/20050502/gallery/173038aa20050501P01.jpg

and for all who are bound to ask...thats an IC incased in a tank,which will have ice cold water pumped through it for the duration of the drag strip...IT IS NOT PRACTICAL ON YOUR 202:D...LOL

Pagz
03-13-2006, 12:38 AM
how much can the ecu really adapt, I feeling was it was good about most changes, but you are changing the type of f/i and adding more power, much more power, so I am not too sure... moreover, would the places you have been having work done be able to remap an ecu, and what is the price range for that kind of work?

changing the type of FI is not as much of an issue as you would think with the 230K,the ECU reads everything from the MAS and O2,and basis mixture on these values,how far the ecu will let me take it will be found on the day...hence the need for accurate boost control,we will find a point where the ecu no longer has control of fuel and timing then wind it back a notch and finish up there for the time being...or until i have at least done a few laps round the block and began to realise i still own a 202 lol

Abuimad
03-13-2006, 03:31 AM
wow i just saw this, looking exceptionaly good bro

keep us updated on all the good stuff :D

Under Pressure
03-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Where does that pipe leading into the turbo draw air from? The wheel well? I cant see where it starts. Looking good, btw

Pagz
03-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Under Pressure
Where does that pipe leading into the turbo draw air from? The wheel well? I cant see where it starts. Looking good, btw

thanks,yeh the filter will be located in the gaurd,iv found the right sized K&N,so should work well,theres plenty of air going in that area!;)

Ashkan's C280
03-13-2006, 12:35 PM
are bigger injectors going in or have been put in already? (24lbs I would assume) and I would also like to hear your thoughts on ground wiring, i.e. circle earth ground wiring (the hks one) does that really help or something minor 1-3% increase (which is what I was thinking) and also would it be possible to change the mas to handle more power? Well I was thinking about it but not sure if it makes sense but if you were to put a c43 mas on there (assumeing the connector was right. I would assume it would be because I had a c230k mas by mistake and the connector fit, just not the tubeing) would that help in handleing more power, because it would be set to take on more power? and were you planning on having a boost controller on the A pillar or in the coin tray?

Ashkan's C280
03-13-2006, 12:38 PM
and why is that plastic cover still on (the one before the e fans) I took that off years ago, not that it matters too much but I think its useless....

SLAMMED_C
03-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by 23K
Yes!,im very impressed also!,wish i had have gotten there number along time ago...they dont advertise,and i can see why!...
they make some of the koolest manifolds money can buy!,very Pro...im very keen on going that route;)
heres a pic of one of New Zealands fastest four bangers(evo3)
they made the intake manifold and many other parts on this...

and for all who are bound to ask...thats an IC incased in a tank,which will have ice cold water pumped through it for the duration of the drag strip...IT IS NOT PRACTICAL ON YOUR 202:D...LOL
Yeh you should have gotten his number before.. anbelievable welding job.
damn.. now thats sweet.. are they going to make you a custom intake manifold?.. or you just tossing the idea around right now?... what kinda price you got from them? I WANT ONE TOO!!!
looks like they do real nice work.

Pagz
03-13-2006, 05:13 PM
and why is that plastic cover still on (the one before the e fans) I took that off years ago, not that it matters too much but I think its useless....

yeh its alright if you have a dark coloured car,otherwise like on mine you will see all the silver parts behind the grill and it doesnt look so good!

Pagz
03-13-2006, 05:23 PM
are bigger injectors going in or have been put in already? (24lbs I would assume) and I would also like to hear your thoughts on ground wiring, i.e. circle earth ground wiring (the hks one) does that really help or something minor 1-3% increase (which is what I was thinking) and also would it be possible to change the mas to handle more power? Well I was thinking about it but not sure if it makes sense but if you were to put a c43 mas on there (assumeing the connector was right. I would assume it would be because I had a c230k mas by mistake and the connector fit, just not the tubeing) would that help in handleing more power, because it would be set to take on more power? and were you planning on having a boost controller on the A pillar or in the coin tray?

Nope havent installed new injectors,will cross that road when i get there.
grounding could help.
the mas on a 230k operates differently to the N/A version(or so iv been told) ie can give a read out based on pressure above atmospheric,so swapping is not an option.
as for boost contol iv already installed an apexi AVCR in the ash tray,check it on my site!.
Regards,
Paul

Pagz
03-13-2006, 05:31 PM
Yeh you should have gotten his number before.. anbelievable welding job.
damn.. now thats sweet.. are they going to make you a custom intake manifold?.. or you just tossing the idea around right now?... what kinda price you got from them? I WANT ONE TOO!!!
looks like they do real nice work.

yeh mang it goood shit!...he said they were doing the one in the picture for around 1200-1250,so its not that bad considering the work involved!...iv beed tossing up that idea since before the turbo project...but now iv seen it in person im hooked!...when i get around to having it done i will see if he could do a great price on two....which would most likely be around three months away,but will let you know before i do just incase you still want one;)

Ashkan's C280
03-13-2006, 11:38 PM
my mistake for some reason I thought slammed c had it....

Under Pressure
03-14-2006, 03:11 PM
My question this time is a very easy one, what kind of spark plugs do you plan on using?

Pagz
03-14-2006, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by c280nz
coming along nicely paul, keep up the good work!
:cool:

thanks man!,have you started yours?:)

Pagz
03-14-2006, 05:47 PM
My question this time is a very easy one, what kind of spark plugs do you plan on using?

hmmm,thats still hard!:D,it maybe wise to run cooler plugs later when i go above 7-9,or even before,i guess it depends on what holds me back...weather it be lack of fuel or pre-ignition,but for now i will assume the stock items to be adequit for the job as we will only raise pressure until it hits problems...

what do you recommend?

Under Pressure
03-15-2006, 09:45 AM
Everyone with a turbo motor seems to go crazy for the Denso Iridium Spark Plugs. Greddy makes some iridium too, but Denso is probably easier to find. Or maybe NGK. Just go with iridium, I am sure you know why given your expertise modding cars.

SLAMMED_C
03-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by 23K
yeh mang it goood shit!...he said they were doing the one in the picture for around 1200-1250,so its not that bad considering the work involved!...iv beed tossing up that idea since before the turbo project...but now iv seen it in person im hooked!...when i get around to having it done i will see if he could do a great price on two....which would most likely be around three months away,but will let you know before i do just incase you still want one;)
damn.. thats not too bad.. that one in the pic must have had some crazy amounts of time involed to build it!.. just seeing that pic has got me hooked!!..but I was hooked when I saw the hagmann SLK with that sweet intake manifold...
please let me know when you do plan go get one.. I will definetly want to get one too!!

seems that Denso iridium's are the most popular.. Im looking to get a set.. as well as magnecor wires too.

trymonlam
03-15-2006, 05:13 PM
i need some denso too. should we set up a group buy of some sort too?

SLAMMED_C
03-15-2006, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by trymonlam
i need some denso too. should we set up a group buy of some sort too?
Id be in for a group buy.. what about magnecor wires?.. Id be in for a group buy with that too.

Pagz
03-15-2006, 06:01 PM
hey which ones would suit?would it be the IQ20's?
didnt see a 230K on there site,just C230!
Do magnacore make wires for the 23K?...hmmm wishing i had spare coin at the moment

SLAMMED_C
03-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by 23K
hey which ones would suit?would it be the IQ20's?
didnt see a 230K on there site,just C230!
Do magnacore make wires for the 23K?...hmmm wishing i had spare coin at the moment
I think the plugs would be the iridium 5304-IK20.. and yes Magnecor do make wires for the C230Kompressor.. 7mm(40388), 8mm(47388), or 8.5mm(45388).
I want the 8.5mm!!

Pagz
03-15-2006, 06:48 PM
I think the plugs would be the iridium 5304-IK20.. and yes Magnecor do make wires for the C230Kompressor.. 7mm(40388), 8mm(47388), or 8.5mm(45388).
I want the 8.5mm!!

Mmmm 8.5's definatly:D

Ashkan's C280
03-15-2006, 07:20 PM
ngk's are also very good... brabus uses them as standard on all cars they mod... and I got 8.5's... good stuff

trymonlam
03-15-2006, 08:28 PM
...7mm(40388), 8mm(47388), or 8.5mm(45388).
I want the 8.5mm!!
what do these mean?

SLAMMED_C
03-17-2006, 03:57 PM
I am looking into a group buy right now for the plugs and wires...
anyone interested please put your name down.

and as for trymonlams question.. the wire size.. 7mm 8mm or 8.5mm is the diameter of the wire (the insulation, I believe) not the actual wire.. but the wire insulation.

Pagz
03-17-2006, 04:58 PM
im definatly interested!!!...but am to poor,but if all goes well in the comming months i'll be keen!

Under Pressure
04-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Still waiting....

Pagz
04-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Still waiting....

LOL...things are moving man!;),im waiting on so much stuff from painters,enginneers etc...should have the engine back together this weekend...iv just about been shafted form every person doing parts for me....,so its been a long road.

trymonlam
04-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by 23K
LOL...things are moving man!;),im waiting on so much stuff from painters,enginneers etc...should have the engine back together this weekend...iv just about been shafted form every person doing parts for me....,so its been a long road.
wow, can't wait to see your next update!

Pagz
04-06-2006, 11:16 PM
well...i would never have guessed...i rang up the guys doin my engine mounts and...yip...the've only done one...just over 1.5 weeks late already...seems like im doomed to NEVER drive the 202 again.

BUT....on a slightly better note(only slightly)...i got my Cam cover and turbine housing back from Pro coat,...only 3 days late this time,and i still had to stand around for 1/2 hour even after i arrived 1 hour late to pick it up....LOOOOOOOOL
its also not really the colour i was expecting,but will do for now...
iv just installed it on the car with new seals all round...
had to also remove the rivited cover inside for the install,which required tapping of the rivits and using hex screws to refit!..better hope they never come loose:p
also had a bung machined to fill the OEM vent point...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_170_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_171_full.jpg

Paul

Pagz
04-06-2006, 11:25 PM
also had the turbine housing and discharge ceramic coated,should help with underbonnet heat!...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_172_full.jpg

c280nz
04-16-2006, 01:23 PM
your going that serious on this you should have just dropped your engine out and forged everything so you can run some serious psi!

but never the less all parts looking good man!

Ashkan's C280
04-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by c280nz
your going that serious on this you should have just dropped your engine out and forged everything so you can run some serious psi!

but never the less all parts looking good man! :werd:

RemoLexi
01-14-2007, 02:25 PM
so the OEM vent point was deleted on the valve cover,

those two vent tubes are there for better ventalation ??

Pagz
01-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by RemoLexi
so the OEM vent point was deleted on the valve cover,

those two vent tubes are there for better ventalation ??

Ah yes,thats the old cam cover...i have purchased another as the -10 fittings we welded on did not take well to the magnesium used in making the cover...the new cover is currently having a special alloy mount being made,which 2x -10 fitting will screw into then be screwed to the cover rather than welded....the reason behind having the larger vents is when you run higher HP you usually get more crankcase pressure and blowby etc...if i were to use a smaller pipe then air volocity would increase,along with the amount of oil present in it...

RemoLexi
01-14-2007, 05:21 PM
aha so double the breathers reduces the crankcase pressure. got it. Thanks!

Pagz
01-14-2007, 05:25 PM
no problem;)

M104-AMG
02-21-2007, 11:39 PM
Any update ?

:-) neil

Pagz
02-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Hey,
Iv been a bit slack with sticking to one thread,take a look through this thread http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11739&perpage=15&pagenumber=1 ...it has a few upto date pics of whats going on....this is the second setup btw..the "turbo project update" must be around a year old;)